T.

Default Popping glue lines

Most of you know that modern woodworking glues are stronger than
wood. Talking only white and yellow glues just now, not any other
types, so save your comments on those. A well done glue joint will
separate at the wood, rather than the glue, if you try to take it apart.

A couple of weeks or so back I had to take something glued apart.
When I tried that on the early versions of my router table, I knocked
them apart with a hammer, and the it was always the wood that gave way,
not the glue. I like Titebond II, so this all specifically applies to
it, but I figure probably all the white and yellow woodworking glues
too. For some reason it struck me to try my 1 1/2" wide wood chisel.
Popped apart right along the glue line. Well, I knew it had been cool
when it was glued up, so figured maybe that was it, and/or starved glue
joint.

In the times since I have tried it several more times, with today
the culmination. The other times have worked well, but again, not
really sure if it was a starved glue joint, even tho it didn't appear to
be. Today I tried it on some pieces that I knew I had glued in warm
weather, and that the glue joints were definitely not starved. Well,
worked just great. They all popped very nicely, on the glue line, altho
there were tiny slivers of wood showing. But, a bit of sanding would
even that out, allowing the wood to be salvaged for another project. I
don't use this wood in any thing but jigs, masters, prototypes, and so
on. Makes it nice to be able to reuse a piece of wood, rather than to
have to beat it apart with a hammer, then trash it because you can't use
any of it.

I had originally gone out to try to work up a glueup holding jig
thingy, and figured I would need some of the salvaged wood. Turned out,
I didn't need it. While I was popping it, I figured out how two pieces
of scrap glued togehter would do what I wanted, rather than something
complex. I tested it after the glue had set for a few hours, and works
perfect.

The word scrap is generic. I don't have any scrap wood. I have
wood, small pieces of wood, smaller pieces of wood, and sawdust. I
don't toss any of it unless I run out of storage space. The sawdust is
great for traction on snow and ice, in the winter.

JOAT
Make my shorts. Eat my day.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 23 Oct 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/