Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Wind anxiety

On Tue, 4 May 2021 12:45:17 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 04/05/2021 12:37, T i m wrote:

We have woken up several times to that sort of damage on campsites but
luckily (so far anyway) it's not happened to us. Part of that may be
down to reasonable quality kit (even as simple as decent tent pegs)
and good 'prep' if there is a storm on it's way (additional guy lines
and even guying the motorcycles upright etc).

You've just made me recall a camping trip in Wales (Shell Island), our
tent pulling shapes with poles snapping and having to unravel the mother
in law from her completely flattened one!

Ooops! ;-) [1]

Moving cars around in the dark trying to use them as windbreaks.

Yup, been there, done that ... and erecting actual 'beach style'
windbreaks to try to take some of the load off the tent.

Maybe i've got PTSD.

;-)

Whilst it might be I think you are simply being realistic / sensible
by being conscious of the (destructive) power of the wind.

I think the issue for me (in this household) is the image of trying to
protect our house / possessions from any further damage should
something get damaged mid-storm ... trying to wrestle with a tarp or
fence panel at 5am in the wind and rain. Those who couldn't do that,
wouldn't then carry the burden of doing it (or not doing it), should
the need arise? Where the buck stops etc?

Out fence has been due to be replaced for many years now but every
time another bit breaks because of a storm (and I provide a(nother)
temporary fix) the less likely I am to want to then go out and buy a
replacement because the chances are, so will many other people and so
you can end up with less choice or the 'leftover' panels. Then when
it's calm and sunny I don't think about replacing the fence. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] We like the Khyam range of 'Rapidex' (quick erect) tents and
whilst you would think the (plastic) joints might be a weak link, they
haven't been so far (in winds that have flattened lesser tents). They
are also available as spares so we ensure we have some spares (then we
will never need them). ;-)

Ironically the biggest storm (wind wise) we have camped in was in
Scotland and we were in the 'Rigidome XL', a fairly slab sided QE 4
berth frame tent and whilst it moved about quite a bit, survived the
night.

The tent I've tent the safest in in a storm was an inflatable igloo
(the main 'frame' was inflatable) so whilst the material was often
down near you, you knew nothing was going to snap. ;-)