Posted to uk.d-i-y
R D S[_2_] R D S[_2_] is offline

Default OT: Wind anxiety

On 04/05/2021 13:10, T i m wrote:
I think the issue for me (in this household) is the image of trying to
protect our house / possessions from any further damage should
something get damaged mid-storm ... trying to wrestle with a tarp or
fence panel at 5am in the wind and rain. Those who couldn't do that,
wouldn't then carry the burden of doing it (or not doing it), should
the need arise? Where the buck stops etc?

Yeah, that will have a lot to do with it.

[1] We like the Khyam range of 'Rapidex' (quick erect) tents and
whilst you would think the (plastic) joints might be a weak link, they
haven't been so far (in winds that have flattened lesser tents). They
are also available as spares so we ensure we have some spares (then we
will never need them). ;-)

I forget the brand, it's not been out of the loft for a good few years
but it was a fairly decent 8 man tunnel job and it stood up fairly well
to be fair, the devastation on the site the morning after was something
to behold.

I went back to the camping shop to replace the splintered pole sections
and asked about thicker ones. As you said yourself the guy there said
it's the pegs that matter, I was skeptical but got better pegs and
indeed, it fared much better in future bad weather. Pretty obvious
really I suppose.