Old September 4th 19, 10:22 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

On 03/09/2019 20:06, michael adams wrote:
"nightjar" wrote in message
On 03/09/2019 17:12, Stephen Cole wrote:
I was watching the Commons this afternoon and was genuinely surprised to
see just how badly Boris was performing; shifty, evasive, bumbling,
stumbling, totally lost more often than not. About on a par with Theresa
May on her bad days. What's more, he looked terrified at points, like he's
just realising for the first time that he's not actually remotely competent
for the job. LOL!

So, the forthcoming General Election campaign is going to be quite the
spectacle as we see the real Boris Johnson exposed and crushed. It's going
to be great!...

Well, he won't get the devout Jewish vote, unless he moves the date
away from the start of a religious festival that would stop them
from voting.

Er,

quote

" People who will not be able to vote on the chosen day
can register to vote by post or via a proxy vote.

Applications to vote by post must be received by 17:00 BST
on 26 September, for those not already registered to vote.

Proxy voting - where another registered voter votes on another's behalf -
must be applied for at least six working days before election day, in
England, Scotland or Wales."

/quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49561792

So that's Margaret Hodge sorted, at least.

I got the impression that the main objection was that he hadn't taken
the Jewish population into account when setting the date, rather than
the practical difficulties of voting.

--
Colin Bignell

Old September 4th 19, 12:58 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

news
"nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

how many non-Jews have even heard of this holiday (let alone know when it
is)

I certainly hadn't.

tim

Old September 4th 19, 01:50 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In message , tim...
writes

news
"nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

After a bit of Googling, it appears that it's only the first day of
Sukkot when work is forbidden (it's treated like the normal Jewish
Sabbath) - and this isn't the day proposed for the election. The whole
thing's not even a light breeze in a thimble.
https://tinyurl.com/y4g5ap72

--
Ian
Old September 4th 19, 05:34 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 04/09/2019 12:58, tim... wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
news

I got the impression that the main objection was that he hadn't taken
the Jewish population into account when setting the date,

how many non-Jews have even heard of this holiday (let alone know when
it is)

Nor had I, but if you are running the country, you, or at least your
civil servants, ought to know about the impact of a decision on all the
major religions practised in it.

--
Colin Bignell
Old September 4th 19, 05:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 04/09/2019 17:34, nightjar wrote:
On 04/09/2019 12:58, tim... wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
news

I got the impression that the main objection was that he hadn't taken
the Jewish population into account when setting the date,

how many non-Jews have even heard of this holiday (let alone know when
it is)

Nor had I, but if you are running the country, you, or at least your
civil servants, ought to know about the impact of a decision on all the
major religions practised in it.

0.4% of the population are Jewish.

Even as someone with a Jewish heritage I consider your point nonsense.

I'm far more concerned about Corbyn and his supporters anti-Semitic
policies.

Old September 4th 19, 05:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 1:58:59 PM UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:

After a bit of Googling, it appears that it's only the first day of
Sukkot when work is forbidden (it's treated like the normal Jewish
Sabbath) - and this isn't the day proposed for the election. The whole
thing's not even a light breeze in a thimble.
https://tinyurl.com/y4g5ap72

Not quite. If you read the link, it's the first two days when work is forbidden, and that's sundown on the 13th to nightfall on the 15th. Moving the dates leaves about three hours of voting time on the 15th.
Old September 4th 19, 06:30 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 04/09/2019 17:34, nightjar wrote:
On 04/09/2019 12:58, tim... wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
news

I got the impression that the main objection was that he hadn't taken
the Jewish population into account when setting the date,

how many non-Jews have even heard of this holiday (let alone know when
it is)

Nor had I, but if you are running the country, you, or at least your
civil servants, ought to know about the impact of a decision on all the
major religions practised in it.

Is Juadaism a major religion these days in Britain?

Religion in Great Britain (2011 census)
Christianity (59.5%)
No religion (25.7%)
Islam (4.4%)
Hinduism (1.3%)
Sikhism (0.7%)
Judaism (0.4%)
Buddhism (0.4%)
Other religions (0.4%)
Not stated (7.2%)

--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
“We did this ourselves.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Old September 4th 19, 06:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After a bit of Googling, it appears that it's only the first day
of Sukkot when work is forbidden (it's treated like the normal
Jewish Sabbath) - and this isn't the day proposed for the election.
The whole thing's not even a light breeze in a thimble.
https://tinyurl.com/y4g5ap72

Not quite. If you read the link, it's the first two days when work is
forbidden, and that's sundown on the 13th to nightfall on the 15th.
Moving the dates leaves about three hours of voting time on the
15th.

Is voting 'work'?

I wish I got paid for it.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Old September 4th 19, 06:54 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 04/09/2019 17:34, nightjar wrote:
On 04/09/2019 12:58, tim... wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
news

I got the impression that the main objection was that he hadn't taken
the Jewish population into account when setting the date,

how many non-Jews have even heard of this holiday (let alone know when
it is)

Nor had I, but if you are running the country, you, or at least your
civil servants, ought to know about the impact of a decision on all the
major religions practised in it.

I would not assume that civil servants are part of the inner circle
making decisions on such things; nor that the inner circle welcome any
suggestion they might wish to think again. And new Ministers and
advisers who don't know their civil servants may well be in supercharged
"don't bring me problems, bring me solutions" mode, making civil
servants even more inclined to keep their heads down and let their
master DIY a few minor cock-ups

--
Robin
Old September 4th 19, 07:11 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc

Brian Kampf wrote:
On 04/09/2019 17:34, nightjar wrote:
On 04/09/2019 12:58, tim... wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message
news

I got the impression that the main objection was that he hadn't taken
the Jewish population into account when setting the date,

how many non-Jews have even heard of this holiday (let alone know when
it is)

Nor had I, but if you are running the country, you, or at least your
civil servants, ought to know about the impact of a decision on all the
major religions practised in it.

0.4% of the population are Jewish.

Even as someone with a Jewish heritage I consider your point nonsense.

I'm far more concerned about Corbyn and his supporters anti-Semitic
policies.

It’s kinda amazing to see you wave away as “nonsense” the cultural and
religious sensibilities of several hundred thousand British citizens,
Brian.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur