Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default smart meters

Scottish gas are here at the moment doing both meters...one wee man came
to the door and was shocked that he was expected...told my he went to
nine doors yesterday and never fitted a single meter....I was expecting
a hoard of pimple faced yoof in multiple big vans ...but no ...one wee
old man in a small van .....done the lecy and he told me I was using 8p
an hour...seems a bit high.....doing the gas at the moment and fitting a
new regulator even though the one I have is only a year old after it
failed......Oh well heard all the horror stories but if I get my
electric car I may be able to switch to a supplier with a good overnight
rate.....every cloud?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 09:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Scottish gas are here at the moment doing both meters...one wee man came
to the door and was shocked that he was expected...told my he went to
nine doors yesterday and never fitted a single meter....I was expecting
a hoard of pimple faced yoof in multiple big vans ...but no ...one wee
old man in a small van .....done the lecy and he told me I was using 8p
an hour...seems a bit high.....doing the gas at the moment and fitting a
new regulator even though the one I have is only a year old after it
failed......Oh well heard all the horror stories but if I get my
electric car I may be able to switch to a supplier with a good overnight
rate.....every cloud?

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 10:11:04 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

totly...too many gadgets

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

Nah, I tested mine when I first bought them, they use bugger all.

12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand by?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :
sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works out at £0.03664.

That is 87p per day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pancho pretended :
12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is router,switches,
WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand by?

100w as a base load is still a helluva lot.

My base load is Fridge/freezer, upright freezer, 2x routers, 3x TV's on
standby, 1x radio on standby, 1x electro/mechanical timeclock, 1x auto-
occupancy switch, heating controls and 4x USB chargers which are always
on.

As said earlier - My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year,
works out at £0.03664. That is 87p per day including meter.

That includes when I up and about, heating pump running, lights TV's on
etc..

I am up now, big screen TV on, laptop on, no heating, but usual
baseload - showing 97w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

Nah, I tested mine when I first bought them, they use bugger all.

12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand by?

I should have enclosed it in a couple of /sarc's

Its not legal to put her in a couple sacks anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 12:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho pretended :
12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand
by?

100w as a base load is still a helluva lot.

It is a target to aim for in a modern house with things like burglar
alarm, emergency lights, router, cooker, freezer, fridge, TV, phone,
radio, clocks and hifi all taking their share. Most homes use more!

Routers are actually quite power hungry. And if you have an older TV
from when TDTV was new some of them by default consume almost as much in
"standby" as they do when they are on. This is well worth checking!

I'd quite like a router that did wake on LAN and suspended itself when
there was no internet traffic for more than 15 minutes. My router is the
largest base load component at 12W followed by alarm and kitchen things
at about 5W that have LED time/temperature displays on them lit 24/7.

My base load is Fridge/freezer, upright freezer, 2x routers, 3x TV's on
standby, 1x radio on standby, 1x electro/mechanical timeclock, 1x auto-
occupancy switch, heating controls and 4x USB chargers which are always on.

As said earlier - My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works
out at £0.03664. That is 87p per day including meter.

That includes when I up and about, heating pump running, lights TV's on
etc..

I am up now, big screen TV on, laptop on, no heating, but usual baseload
- showing 97w

My daytime load is typically 400W mostly for computers and a printer.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 12:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho pretended :
12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand
by?

100w as a base load is still a helluva lot.

1 Modem, 1 Router, 1 Wifi access point, 4 Switches, 1 IP camera, 1 Radio
garage door opener, 4 Cordless phone chargers, 1 Headset charger, 1 TV
standby, 3 Raspberry Pi's, CH thermostat, 2 sets of PC speakers (one set
was about 8 watts when PC was off), Cooker standby, Microwave standby, 2
Pir lights and no doubt lots I have forgotten.

It easily adds up.

I think cost is about 1 £/watt/year. Given how rapidly technology
changes I'm dubious that paying for more efficient equipment would be
cost effective.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 09:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Scottish gas are here at the moment doing both meters...one wee man came
to the door and was shocked that he was expected...told my he went to
nine doors yesterday and never fitted a single meter....I was expecting
a hoard of pimple faced yoof in multiple big vans ...but no ...one wee
old man in a small van .....done the lecy and he told me I was using 8p
an hour...seems a bit high.....doing the gas at the moment and fitting a
new regulator even though the one I have is only a year old after it
failed......Oh well heard all the horror stories but if I get my
electric car I may be able to switch to a supplier with a good overnight
rate.....every cloud?

Can your supplier see your electricity meter?

Ours has been installed for 12 weeks now and neither our supplier, nor
our in-home display, can see the electricity meter. Despite the gas
readings being sent through it!

Latest from the supplier is that the current issue is well known in the
industry and is currently 'insurmountable'. But the industry is still
installing them and inviting customers to book appointments.

Waiting for a response to our complaint with OfGEM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 13:57, Pancho wrote:
On 22/08/2019 12:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho pretended :
12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on
stand by?

100w as a base load is still a helluva lot.

1 Modem, 1 Router, 1 Wifi access point, 4 Switches, 1 IP camera, 1 Radio
garage door opener, 4 Cordless phone chargers, 1 Headset charger, 1 TV
standby, 3 Raspberry Pi's, CH thermostat, 2 sets of PC speakers (one set
was about 8 watts when PC was off), Cooker standby, Microwave standby, 2
Pir lights and no doubt lots I have forgotten.

It is worth getting one of the smart switches so that all unnecessary
peripherals are powered down when your PC is off. PC speakers seem
particularly badly designed mine draws the same power on *or* off
(unless you really wind the wick right up and shake the windows)!

It easily adds up.

Worth saving the odd 10W here and there if you can. Hard to get much
below 100W in a modern house full of gizmos and gadgets though.

I think cost is about 1 £/watt/year. Given how rapidly technology
changes I'm dubious that paying for more efficient equipment would be
cost effective.

OTOH if you can find an add on for about a tenner to save 10W it pays
for itself inside a year. Some eco tariffs will give you one for the TV
and one for your PC like a 3 way adaptor master/slave/always on.

Or you can get smart master/slave sockets - one such is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CrazyGadget...dp/B00YZ50CE0/

Not tried this one. Mine is a previous generation (better made).

Energenie ones are overpriced. Other brands are available.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are they still running down the stock of SMET1 meters or are they installing SMET2 meters. I could do with one fitted + smaller gas regulator whilst doing the kitchen as the space for the housing will be a bit more compact.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 14:15, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Are they still running down the stock of SMET1 meters or are they
installing SMET2 meters. I could do with one fitted + smaller gas
regulator whilst doing the kitchen as the space for the housing will
be a bit more compact.

SSE claim to be installing SMET2 - I still told them to get knotted.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

And those RCBO's that use power too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

totly...too many gadgets

Must be all those compooters you leave on all night

My EDF bill for the last quarter is £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 14:11, F wrote:
[...]

Wonderful new technology isn't it!

Latest from the supplier is that the current issue is well known in the
industry and is currently 'insurmountable'. But the industry is still
installing them and inviting customers to book appointments.

Waiting for a response to our complaint with OfGEM.

Don't hold your breath.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My PIR light is plugged into a cheap mechanical timer to switch the
whole thing off from 1AM to 4PM, else it just sits there in daylight
using about 20 watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 14:14, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

In Tuesdays metro there was an advert for solar panels and batteries
that Duracell seem to be involved in :-

www.projectsolaruk.com (I haven't investigated this yet)

Now that the FIT scam has ended, panels should be cheaper.

The small print says 'based on a monthly bill of £60 with a
£16.45 per KW hour cost of electricity'.

I think that rate would drive most people to switch ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

Nah, I tested mine when I first bought them, they use bugger all.

12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on
stand by?

I should have enclosed it in a couple of /sarc's

Its not legal to put her in a couple sacks anymore.

Does multi-tasking mean they can spend money more quickly than
we do ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 14:11, F wrote:
[...]

What is point of a smart gas meter ?. Unlike leccy, the gas pipelines
are not going to suddenly lose all their pressure, so balancing
the load can't be an issue. The high pressure pipelines apparently
are the 'storage' for a quite a while because of the enormous pressures
involved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 14:40, Andrew wrote:
On 22/08/2019 14:14, Martin Brown wrote:

OTOH if you can find an add on for about a tenner to save 10W it pays
for itself inside a year. Some eco tariffs will give you one for the
TV and one for your PC like a 3 way adaptor master/slave/always on.

Or you can get smart master/slave sockets - one such is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CrazyGadget...dp/B00YZ50CE0/

Not tried this one. Mine is a previous generation (better made).

Energenie ones are overpriced. Other brands are available.

In Tuesdays metro there was an advert for solar panels and batteries
that Duracell seem to be involved in :-

www.projectsolaruk.com (I haven't investigated this yet)

Have come across them. Someone in the village had them install kit for
him. Seems to be working OK which is more than can be said for some of
the other installations I have seen round here. Gave their website a
quick poke but some links of interest to me failed 404 not found.

Now that the FIT scam has ended, panels should be cheaper.

But some (perhaps most) of the installers may well be on the edge of
going bust.

The small print says 'based on a monthly bill of £60 with a
£16.45 per KW hour cost of electricity'.

I think that rate would drive most people to switch ..

Someone has got the decimal point worng! (sic)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 14:48, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

OTOH, with a smart meter that *could* become the rate for a short
time between 4PM and 7PM on a dark, still, foggy, frosty winter
evening.

Or perhaps only when harry is charging his car :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 14:28, Andrew wrote:
On 22/08/2019 13:57, Pancho wrote:

I think cost is about 1 £/watt/year. Given how rapidly technology
changes I'm dubious that paying for more efficient equipment would be
cost effective.

My PIR light is plugged into a cheap mechanical timer to switch the
whole thing off from 1AM to 4PM, else it just sits there in daylight
using about 20 watts

That's a hell of a standby load. My LED PIR is battery powered by 3 C
cells and lasts about a year at the front door which is in daily use.

It is quite a surprise how much some things can use in "standby".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

totly...too many gadgets

Must be all those compooters you leave on all night

My EDF bill for the last quarter is £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?

gas 65 lecy 50 a month all year
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

Nah, I tested mine when I first bought them, they use bugger all.

12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand by?

just noticed I had an oil filled lecy heater on in the shack ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 21:24:39 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

I should have enclosed it in a couple of /sarc's

Its not legal to put her in a couple sacks anymore.

PLEASE, spare everyone your idiotic attempts at senile "humour", you
retarded piece of senile Ozzie ****!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 August 2019 15:56:38 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just noticed I had an oil filled lecy heater on in the shack ...

left on since when? October?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 15:56:38 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just noticed I had an oil filled lecy heater on in the shack ...

left on since when? October?

Owain

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater behind a
partition ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 11:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :
sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works out at £0.03664.

That is 87p per day.

the wife can tell now when I tX on 2m fm now...I run 70w and draw about
10a at 12v .120w..the wee graph goes into the red...you would wonder why
It would do that....bears investigation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

totly...too many gadgets

Must be all those compooters you leave on all night

My EDF bill for the last quarter is £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?

gas 65 lecy 50 a month all year

Wrong answer. I meant actual use and cost for summer months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 15:11, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/08/2019 14:28, Andrew wrote:
On 22/08/2019 13:57, Pancho wrote:

I think cost is about 1 £/watt/year. Given how rapidly technology
changes I'm dubious that paying for more efficient equipment would be
cost effective.

My PIR light is plugged into a cheap mechanical timer to switch the
whole thing off from 1AM to 4PM, else it just sits there in daylight
using about 20 watts

That's a hell of a standby load. My LED PIR is battery powered by 3 C
cells and lasts about a year at the front door which is in daily use.

It is quite a surprise how much some things can use in "standby".

It's a 40 year old Smiths bulkhead lamp with a PIR hanging underneath
and circuit board inside. It hasn't failed unlike a more modern
unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pancho brought next idea :
1 IP camera, 1 Radio

Yes, forgot I have one of those.
garage door opener, 4 Cordless phone chargers,

Yes and both of those.

3 Raspberry Pi's

Only one of those, running my weather station server.

Cooker standby, Microwave standby,

Both of those.

lights and no doubt lots I have forgotten.

Well, thanks for reminding me of some of my forgotten items.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Andrew wrote :
My EDF bill for the last quarter is £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?

E.on £91 here, all in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

totly...too many gadgets

Must be all those compooters you leave on all night

My EDF bill for the last quarter is £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?
gas 65 lecy 50 a month all year

Wrong answer. I meant actual use and cost for summer months.

no idea

i just pay monthly evened out type thing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 18:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/08/2019 11:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :
sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works out at £0.03664.

That is 87p per day.

the wife can tell now when I tX on 2m fm now...I run 70w and draw about
10a at 12v .120w..the wee graph goes into the red...you would wonder why
It would do that....bears investigation

this bloody thing better not be over reading because of my 2m rf .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

Nah, I tested mine when I first bought them, they use bugger all.

12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand
by?

I should have enclosed it in a couple of /sarc's

Its not legal to put her in a couple sacks anymore.

Does multi-tasking mean they can spend money more quickly than
we do ?.

Corse it does, thats why you need to triple bag the buggers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 22/08/2019 14:11, F wrote:
[...]

The meter can be read automatically.

Unlike leccy, the gas pipelines are not going to suddenly lose all their
pressure, so balancing the load can't be an issue.

Yep, remotely turning off was always FUD.

The high pressure pipelines apparently are the 'storage' for a quite a
while because of the enormous pressures involved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 06:25:19 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Does multi-tasking mean they can spend money more quickly than
we do ?.

Corse it does, that¢s why you need to triple bag the buggers.

YOU have no idea about that, senile Rodent, because "they" don't want
ANYTHING to do with an obnoxious senile pest! It's the VERY reason why you
got absolutely NOBODY to talk to outside Usenet!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 06:33:12 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Yep, remotely turning off was always FUD.

If it could only be used to turn YOU off, senile pest!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.