Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default smart meters

On 22/08/2019 14:14, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/08/2019 13:57, Pancho wrote:
On 22/08/2019 12:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho pretended :
12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up
to about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on
stand by?

100w as a base load is still a helluva lot.

1 Modem, 1 Router, 1 Wifi access point, 4 Switches, 1 IP camera, 1
Radio garage door opener, 4 Cordless phone chargers, 1 Headset
charger, 1 TV standby, 3 Raspberry Pi's, CH thermostat, 2 sets of PC
speakers (one set was about 8 watts when PC was off), Cooker standby,
Microwave standby, 2 Pir lights and no doubt lots I have forgotten.

It is worth getting one of the smart switches so that all unnecessary
peripherals are powered down when your PC is off. PC speakers seem
particularly badly designed mine draws the same power on *or* off
(unless you really wind the wick right up and shake the windows)!

It easily adds up.

Worth saving the odd 10W here and there if you can. Hard to get much
below 100W in a modern house full of gizmos and gadgets though.

I think cost is about 1 £/watt/year. Given how rapidly technology
changes I'm dubious that paying for more efficient equipment would be
cost effective.

OTOH if you can find an add on for about a tenner to save 10W it pays
for itself inside a year. Some eco tariffs will give you one for the TV
and one for your PC like a 3 way adaptor master/slave/always on.

Or you can get smart master/slave sockets - one such is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CrazyGadget...dp/B00YZ50CE0/

Not tried this one. Mine is a previous generation (better made).

Energenie ones are overpriced. Other brands are available.

In Tuesdays metro there was an advert for solar panels and batteries
that Duracell seem to be involved in :-

www.projectsolaruk.com (I haven't investigated this yet)

Now that the FIT scam has ended, panels should be cheaper.

The small print says 'based on a monthly bill of £60 with a
£16.45 per KW hour cost of electricity'.

I think that rate would drive most people to switch ..