Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Meters

Smart meters to save power customers £64 each across Wales, report says -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22205299

But surely if that is a £64 overpayment you get it back either as a lump
sum refund or by a £64 reduction in your payments for the next year.
There is *no* £64 overall saving. All you may have lost is the interest
on £64 but at current *savings*, ie not current account, rates that is
about a quid. More fecking spin...

It also mentions the privacy issues that half hourly or even daily
readings raise.

Warning over smart meters privacy risk - 12 June 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18407340

The default should be readings only required for billing purposes. As a
country we have been happy with quarterly readings for a long time... If
people wish to opt in to a higher frequency of reading then that is fine
but only as an opt in. With half hour intervals it would be very clear
when the property is actively occupied.

The bills need to have the reading frequency on them as well, so when you
take over a property you know what you have and can get it changed if
required. I bet there is still a possibilty for the meter to do one thing
and the billing system to think another though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Smart meters to save power customers £64 each across Wales, report says -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22205299

Smart metering, as currently proposed, is entirely for the benefit
of the suppliers, not you.

With an effective industry regulator, it could have been the other
way around.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/13 14:19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Smart meters to save power customers £64 each across Wales, report says -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22205299

Smart metering, as currently proposed, is entirely for the benefit
of the suppliers, not you.

Its a desperate measure by the EU to make renewable energy appear to
work, by removing anyone from the grid they dont like, when the sun goes
behind a cloud or the wind stops blowing.

Naturally a fully paid up Party Membership Card will be the best insurance.

With an effective industry regulator, it could have been the other
way around.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Smart meters to save power customers £64 each across Wales, report says -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22205299

Smart metering, as currently proposed, is entirely for the benefit
of the suppliers, not you.

Maybe, but it can be useful. We recently changed to a smart meter at the
burger joint because we could never get a 'real' reading done, as we are not
open during the day. It was a total pain to receive a bill that had been
grossly over-estimated every month, and to then have to get it corrected and
re-issued. The smart meter has sorted that. Mind you, last month, they
reckoned that they couldn't get a signal from it, so booked a service call.
The guy came out and checked it, and said that he didn't know what they were
talking about, as it was working just fine ...

Arfa

With an effective industry regulator, it could have been the other
way around.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2013 14:19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Smart meters to save power customers £64 each across Wales, report says -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22205299

Smart metering, as currently proposed, is entirely for the benefit
of the suppliers, not you.

With an effective industry regulator, it could have been the other
way around.

Agreed, however 'smart' the meter is it is not on your side.

Couldn't a really smart meter be on the customers' side and be empowered
to negotiate on behalf of the customer the best tariff on an hour by
hour basis. No obscure 'confusion marketing' deals, just give me your
price for the next hour/day/week? (with a regulated obligation to supply).

Chris K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Smart meters to save power customers £64 each across Wales, report
says -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22205299

Smart metering, as currently proposed, is entirely for the benefit
of the suppliers, not you.

With an effective industry regulator, it could have been the other
way around.

Agreed, however 'smart' the meter is it is not on your side.

Couldn't a really smart meter be on the customers' side and be
empowered to negotiate on behalf of the customer the best tariff on an
hour by hour basis. No obscure 'confusion marketing' deals, just give
me your price for the next hour/day/week? (with a regulated obligation
to supply).

I smell the 'raspberry pi meter' in the offing...

Its a lovely thought..

Chris K

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:19:27 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Mind you, last month, they reckoned that they couldn't get a signal
from it, so booked a service call. The guy came out and checked it, and
said that he didn't know what they were talking about, as it was
working just fine ...

Gets man in to look at seals etc after the computer at your suppliers has
sounded an alarm bell about readings being consistently below what they
estimate you should have used...

If they come to fit one here it will be interesting if they rely on 2G.
The meters are inside a windowless boiler room with thick stone walls on
the "wrong" side of the house. There is no mobile signal in there...

If they want to piggy back the broadband they can pay a rental to do so.
I think 5% off the total bill (inc VAT) might be enough but there is no
guarantee what so ever that the connection will be there.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Junior Member

And what time do you use energy? maybe a staggered bill for everybody so 7-10pm costs more.

ALso do the council know you are not living in your house? Maybe you claim single person occupancy but you use a lot of energy.

Maybe you moved into your house for a year or to on the council register and then sold up without using any energy.

Are you renting without declaring it? maybe you used a lot of electrcity while your credit card was used abroad.

Maybe you just forgot to mention any of the above innocently because you couldn't be bothered with the 3rd degree and new paper work. £10,000 court bills and threats of prison for you.

All very scary stuff. I have always wondered why people would want a smart meter, is there anyone every convinced they should get one to save the polar bears? How can fitting a new expensive item so I can say "yes the kettle uses power" be a benefit to me?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Smart meters to save power customers £64 each across Wales, report says -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22205299

Smart metering, as currently proposed, is entirely for the benefit
of the suppliers, not you.

With an effective industry regulator, it could have been the other
way around.

Agreed, however 'smart' the meter is it is not on your side.

Couldn't a really smart meter be on the customers' side and be empowered
to negotiate on behalf of the customer the best tariff on an hour by
hour basis. No obscure 'confusion marketing' deals, just give me your
price for the next hour/day/week? (with a regulated obligation to supply).

Yes indeed.
Also things like:
"I need to run my washing machine sometime in the next 48 hours.
Who's going to give me the best price, and at what time?"

So you might try and buy something like your base load (at 500W, say)
for a low fixed price, and then you can choose to buy a peak load
(like a morning shower) from someone else who is more competitive
(and more able) to handle that sort of short burst, but probably at
a higher price.

Instead, all it's likely to bring you is the ability of the supplier
to remotely cut off your supply, or more likely a hacker who gets in
to the supply's computers doing it, possibly as part of switching off
millions of the supplier's customers. I would like to see the disconnect
rights passed over to an independant process that requires court action
first, so the suppliers can get their hands on that switch.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Smart meters to save power customers £64 each across Wales, report
says -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22205299

Smart metering, as currently proposed, is entirely for the benefit
of the suppliers, not you.

Maybe, but it can be useful. We recently changed to a smart meter at the
burger joint because we could never get a 'real' reading done, as we are
not open during the day. It was a total pain to receive a bill that had
been grossly over-estimated every month, and to then have to get it
corrected and re-issued.

Why don't you read the meter every month and submit the readings online. I
do that for our village hall.

--
Tim

Ha ! Have you ever tried making sense of the readings on a modern electronic
three phase meter ? It tells you just about everything from how much gas
you're using, to the mean distance to the sun ...

Apart from that, remembering to do it every month is as much of a pain as
getting a wrong bill. The smart meter is magic in that it doesn't need
reading, and you get a correct bill every time :-)

Arfa
"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:19:27 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Mind you, last month, they reckoned that they couldn't get a signal
from it, so booked a service call. The guy came out and checked it, and
said that he didn't know what they were talking about, as it was
working just fine ...

Gets man in to look at seals etc after the computer at your suppliers has
sounded an alarm bell about readings being consistently below what they
estimate you should have used...

That's a possibility that I hadn't considered, but a valid thought, as they
always did manage to way over-estimate what we were actually using. Although
interestingly, they way *under* -estimated what we were *going* to be using
when they set the original tariff. After we complained that we were paying
too much, they re-negotiated the rate, and knocked it down by a third ...

Arfa

If they come to fit one here it will be interesting if they rely on 2G.
The meters are inside a windowless boiler room with thick stone walls on
the "wrong" side of the house. There is no mobile signal in there...

If they want to piggy back the broadband they can pay a rental to do so.
I think 5% off the total bill (inc VAT) might be enough but there is no
guarantee what so ever that the connection will be there.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" writes:
[...]

golly. I didnt know you could get 3 phase gas.

Is the solid gas, liquid gas, and gaseous gas?

Apart from that, remembering to do it every month is as much of a pain
as getting a wrong bill. The smart meter is magic in that it doesn't
need reading, and you get a correct bill every time :-)

Arfa
"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 02:39:02 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ha ! Have you ever tried making sense of the readings on a modern
electronic three phase meter ? It tells you just about everything from
how much gas you're using, to the mean distance to the sun ...

golly. I didnt know you could get 3 phase gas.

Is the solid gas, liquid gas, and gaseous gas?

No wonder he's fazed by it!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:23:42 +0100, Chris K wrote:

with a regulated obligation to supply

That is not part of the legislation, it was an integral part of it for around 50
years but since 1990 no one has any obligation to supply electricity to an end
consumer (same story with gas)

Yet another legacy of the evil bitch Thatcher, the slimy little **** Cecil
Parkinson and the retarded ****, later in the pay of Enron, John Wakeham.

It's a 'free' energy market, a shining example of Thatcherism, greed, short
termism and a **** you mentality. The only purpose of the UK customer is to
bend over and take it up the arse without lubricant every quarter and hand over
huge wodges of cash to the foreigners who now own the vast majority of
generating capacity and distribution networks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" writes:
[...]

Yep ! Those are the three ... :-)

Arfa

Apart from that, remembering to do it every month is as much of a pain as
getting a wrong bill. The smart meter is magic in that it doesn't need
reading, and you get a correct bill every time :-)

Arfa
"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Do I infer from the above that you didn't really take to Mrs T and her
government, then ... ? d;-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 23:23:44 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" writes:
[...]

Sounds to me like it will create loads of extra work for the customer
so they can save a few pence a week. IOW not worth it.

Instead, all it's likely to bring you is the ability of the supplier
to remotely cut off your supply, or more likely a hacker who gets in
to the supply's computers doing it, possibly as part of switching off
millions of the supplier's customers. I would like to see the disconnect
rights passed over to an independant process that requires court action
first, so the suppliers can get their hands on that switch.

Knowing how poor security is often implemented it probably wouldn't
take a hacker to cut your power off, just a kid with a mobile phone.

All disconnections should need a physical visit and it absolutely
should not be able to be done remotely.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:33:46 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Do I infer from the above that you didn't really take to Mrs T and her
government, then ... ? d;-)

You could, not sure how you worked it out.

Brewing up improved ice cream in the lab is by far the absolute pinnacle of her
career. After that it was all downhill. If it had been an animal it would have
been double bagged and chucked in a canal at birth.

Stalin and Pol Pol were IMHO more acceptable leaders of their countries and did
less long term damage than that, from the grave, the Bitch Thatcher, continues
to inflict on this country .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do I infer from the above that you didn't really take to Mrs T and her
government, then ... ? * *d;-)

You could, not sure how you worked it out.

Brewing up improved ice cream in the lab is by far the absolute pinnacle of her
career. After that it was all downhill. *If it had been an animal it would have
been double bagged and chucked in a canal at birth.

Stalin and Pol Pol were IMHO more acceptable leaders of their countries and did
less long term damage than that, from the grave, the Bitch Thatcher, continues
to inflict on this country .

--

I take it you were a Trotski miner?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do I infer from the above that you didn't really take to Mrs T and her
government, then ... ? * *d;-)

You could, not sure how you worked it out.

Brewing up improved ice cream in the lab is by far the absolute pinnacle of her
career. After that it was all downhill. *If it had been an animal it would have
been double bagged and chucked in a canal at birth.

Stalin and Pol Pol were IMHO more acceptable leaders of their countries and did
less long term damage than that, from the grave, the Bitch Thatcher, continues
to inflict on this country .

I take it you were a Trotski miner?

You might assume that but you'd be very wrong. The nearest I came to Trotsky
is owning a copy of No More Heroes by The Stranglers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mcp mcp is offline

wrote:

Do I infer from the above that you didn't really take to Mrs T and her
government, then ... ? d;-)

You could, not sure how you worked it out.

Brewing up improved ice cream in the lab is by far the absolute pinnacle of her
career.

Improved from the manufacturers point of view, not the customer who
ended up paying for more air.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do I infer from the above that you didn't really take to Mrs T and her
government, then ... ? d;-)

You could, not sure how you worked it out.

I'm psychic ...

Brewing up improved ice cream in the lab is by far the absolute pinnacle
of her
career. After that it was all downhill. If it had been an animal it would
have
been double bagged and chucked in a canal at birth.

Stalin and Pol Pol were IMHO more acceptable leaders of their countries
and did
less long term damage than that, from the grave, the Bitch Thatcher,
continues
to inflict on this country .

Awww. Now you're starting to sound all nostalgic about her ...

I hope now that she's dead, people will finally move on and get over it. I'm
sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at most, if
not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50 years or so

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so

I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 24, 7:26*am, Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :

I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so

I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

--
Mike Barnes

The real evil *******s were Harold Wilson and Calaghan who destroyed
the economy as socialists always do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 11:16*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

The real purpose of smart meters is yet to come.
It is as part of a "Smart Grid" that will do lots more including
control of thousands of micro generators.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_grid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2013 07:26, Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so

I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

No-one else achieved anything that they can be remembered by. (go on -
what did Blair do? really? Or Wilson? Or Churchill, excepting the war?)

Whether you think what she achieved was good or bad is the only matter
for debate.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2013 09:48 Andy Champ wrote:

No-one else achieved anything that they can be remembered by. (go on -
what did Blair do? really?

Illegal war?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
On 24/04/2013 07:26, Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so

I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

No-one else achieved anything that they can be remembered by. (go on -
what did Blair do? really?

Weapons of Mass Destruction!

Or Wilson?

He wore a Gannex coat and made the owner of the firm who made them into a
Lord

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 24 April 2013 09:48 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 24/04/2013 07:26, Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so

I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

No-one else achieved anything that they can be remembered by. (go on -
what did Blair do?

Wars.

Privacy invasion.

Nanny state.

really? Or Wilson?

Got me there...

Or Churchill, excepting the war?)

You cannot really except the war - it was rather the only thing going on.

Whether you think what she achieved was good or bad is the only matter
for debate.

Agree.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so

I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

She was right wing, and the Labour PMs were left wing. The Left wing are
very vocal in opposition, the right wing just get on with it, in
general. A Labour PM has to *really* screw things up before the
opposition get vocal. If Tory PM gets it slightly wrong,there's a whole
industry geared up to get vocal and emotional about it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2013 09:48, Andy Champ wrote:
On 24/04/2013 07:26, Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so

I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

No-one else achieved anything that they can be remembered by. (go on -
what did Blair do?

He raided the pension funds and caused the present pension fund deficit.

He took billions out of the economy when they rigged the 3G license
auctions and caused all the telecoms providers to delay their orders for
about 2 years effectively allowing the Chinese to step in with cheap
products and close telecoms manufacturing in the UK.

He went to war over dubious claims of WMD and destabilised the middle
east a bit more.

What else do you need to know he was labour?

really? Or Wilson?

He snatched the school milk from secondary school pupils
He had to get the IMF to intervene in the UK economy as he wrecked it.

Or Churchill, excepting the war?)

He lead the country that won.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Indeed, he (or his government) devalued the Pound (to $2.40). He was
suspected by MI5 as being a Soviet agent.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2013 13:09, dennis@home wrote:

He snatched the school milk from secondary school pupils

No, no, that can't be right. "Maggy Thatcher - milk snatcher!"

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:01:04 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

On 24/04/2013 13:09, dennis@home wrote:

He snatched the school milk from secondary school pupils

No, no, that can't be right. "Maggy Thatcher - milk snatcher!"

That was primary schools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:37:06 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so

I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

She was right wing, and the Labour PMs were left wing. The Left wing are
very vocal in opposition, the right wing just get on with it, in
general. A Labour PM has to *really* screw things up before the
opposition get vocal. If Tory PM gets it slightly wrong,there's a whole
industry geared up to get vocal and emotional about it.

Since the vast majority of the press is aligned to the tories, then
it's the other way around.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:09:41 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

He snatched the school milk from secondary school pupils

True, but we all know who removed it for even younger children.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:37:06 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so
I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

She was right wing, and the Labour PMs were left wing. The Left wing are
very vocal in opposition, the right wing just get on with it, in
general. A Labour PM has to *really* screw things up before the
opposition get vocal. If Tory PM gets it slightly wrong,there's a whole
industry geared up to get vocal and emotional about it.

Since the vast majority of the press is aligned to the tories, then
it's the other way around.

You've not been paying much attention to the demo continngent, then.
Left wingers demonstrate, right wingers write letters to the newpapers.

The press, according to my memories, pick on whichever party is in
power, no matter who they are. Except the left wing press such as The
Daily Worker and The Mirror.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:37:06 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
[...]

Sorry, I forgot to mention the BBC.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/13 14:13, Mark wrote:
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:37:06 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:
Arfa Daily :
I'm sure that just as much vitriol and bile could be equally leveled at
most, if not all of the Labour party Prime Ministers of the last 50
years or so
I really don't think so - otherwise it would be.

She was right wing, and the Labour PMs were left wing. The Left wing are
very vocal in opposition, the right wing just get on with it, in
general. A Labour PM has to *really* screw things up before the
opposition get vocal. If Tory PM gets it slightly wrong,there's a whole
industry geared up to get vocal and emotional about it.

Since the vast majority of the press is aligned to the tories, then
it's the other way around.

which planet is this on?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

And interestingly, I read the other day, he actually closed more mines and
lost more miners their jobs, than Maggie did.

Arfa