Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Follow-up on smart meters, why they (say they) object.

The same woman who want ed me to go to the PSC meeting, sent me a url
for an online petition (imagine how important that wil be!) which
explains their objections.

They say they have safety objections!!! What a hoot!!!!!

We Say NO to Wireless Smart Meters in the State of Maryland!

We oppose the mandatory installation of wireless smart meters in
Maryland and claim the right to keep using our analog utility meters,
at no cost to us, and to refuse the installation of wireless smart
meters.

DESPITE WHAT SOME PEOPLE SAY, SMART METERS ARE NOT SAFE!

There is ample evidence that smart meters pose major risks to us all:
they can harm our health, invade our privacy, breach our private
security, interfere with other wireless devices, cause fires, produce
billing inaccuracies, increase prices, undermine our quality of life,
and even endanger our national security.

YET THESE METERS ARE BEING DEPLOYED WITHOUT ANY ADEQUATE RESEARCH INTO
THEIR DANGERS OR PRECAUTIONS TO ENSURE THEIR SAFETY.

SMART METERS BOMBARD US WITH WAY TOO MUCH PULSED MICROWAVE RADIATION

Smart meters generate microwave radiation, 24x7, in all directions
inside and outside our homes, schools, stores and places of work.
Pacific Gas and Electric reported that up to 190,000 messages can be
communicated via one smart meter in only 24 hours. In a world already
inundated with electromagnetic/radio frequencies (EMF RF), these
meters are designed to communicate with each other constantly and will
eventually link to all the “smart” appliances in our homes, to produce
an atmosphere even more saturated with EMF RF--an atmosphere in which
we will be expected to live.

IN THE U.S., OUR FCC HUMAN EXPOSURE GUIDELINES ARE WOEFULLY INADEQUATE

Many experts are telling us that our current Federal Communications
Commission guidelines for EMF RF exposure are seriously outdated and
do not protect our health and safety. These inadequate, thermally
based guidelines do not address the hazards of 24x7 non-thermal
radiation generated by smart meters.

U.S. AND INTERNATIONAL GROUPS WARN OF SERIOUS HEALTH DANGERS

In May 2011, the International Agency for Research on Cancer of the
World Health Organization classified EMF RF fields as a class 2B
possible human carcinogen. Other groups have documented harmful
effects, including the American Academy of Environmental Medicine;
Sweden’s Karolinksa Institute; Powerwatch in the UK; the international
BioInitiative Working Group; and the European Parliament. There are
many others. Entire countries such as France, Belgium, Liechtenstein,
Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Finland, and Israel, are taking
precautions to protect their citizens from the dangers of excessive
wireless exposure.

CUSTOMERS WHO ALREADY HAVE SMART METERS ARE COMPLAINING!

In addition to long-term health effects, wireless smart meters are
causing more immediate health problems. Throughout the US and as far
away as Australia, reports are pouring in of ringing in the ears,
dizziness, insomnia, strong headaches, nausea, heart palpitations,
memory loss, inability to concentrate, anxiety and pain that began
after smart meters were installed. Some people have even had to quit
their jobs or leave their homes.

SMART METERS CAN INTERFERE WITH IMPLANTED MEDICAL DEVICES

Wireless smart meters are capable of interfering with implanted
medical devices such as deep brain stimulators for Parkinson’s disease
and pacemakers. During a Black Hat security conference in August 2011,
a security researcher with diabetes demonstrated how a third party can
transmit wireless commands to remotely disable his insulin pump.

SMART METERS ENABLE WARRANTLESS, UNAUTHORIZED GOVERNMENT/CORPORATE
SURVEILLANCE

A February 2012 Congressional Research Service Report reveals that
smart meters will be able to disclose people’s daily schedules, their
usage of appliances and electronic equipment, their absences from
home, and the types of medical equipment they rely upon. Current CIA
Director David Petraeus recently confirmed that governments can and
will use wireless smart appliances as spy devices. Smart meters will
track more private information than the GPS devices in our cars—and
the US Supreme Court recently declared that GPS tracking required a
warrant.

THE SMART GRID IS A BOON FOR HACKERS AND ENDANGERS NATIONAL SECURITY

The Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency
recognize the hacking and cyberattack dangers from smart meters and
the smart grid in which they are embedded, and former CIA Director
James Woolsey called the program “a really, really stupid grid.”
Cyber expert David Chalk asserted in April 2012, “Unless we wake up
and realize what we're doing, there is 100% certainty of total
catastrophic failure of the entire power infrastructure within 3
years,”

THIS TECHNOLOGY IS MADE TO ORDER FOR DRONE SURVEILLANCE

In May 2012, US government agencies will be authorized to operate
drones for surveillance, and in the fall of 2015, privately operated
drones will be authorized. Wireless communications, including smart
meters, are vulnerable to monitoring by drones, enabling marketing
companies and other groups to gain direct access to our private
information.

SMART METERS CAN CAUSE MALFUNCTIONING BABY MONITORS AND HOME SECURITY
SYSTEMS

Reports are coming in of smart meter interference with a variety of
household wireless gadgets such as garage door openers, Wi-Fi, home
security systems, cordless phones, wireless headsets, patio speakers,
and baby monitors.

THEY CAN ALSO BECOME FIRE HAZARDS, DAMAGE OUR APPLIANCES, AND INCREASE
OUR MONTHLY BILLS

Improperly installed smart meters or faulty meters have led to fires,
inaccurate billing, and damages to appliances and other electronic
devices. In addition, some customers have reported huge increases in
their monthly electric bills.

LONG-TERM AND CUMULATIVE EXPOSURE TO SUCH MASSIVELY INCREASED EMF RF
RADIATION HAS NO PRECEDENT IN HUMAN HISTORY.

WE REFUSE TO BECOME HUMAN GUINEA PIGS.

The smart meter section of the US Energy Policy Act of 2005 indicates
utilities must gain approval from their customers in order to install
smart meters, not undemocratically impose these meters on us.

We have not been consulted about this program, and we do not give our
consent.

Therefore, we, the undersigned, submit this petition as a claim of our
right to retain and keep using our analog utility meters, at no cost
to us, and to refuse the installation of wireless smart meters.

Why People Are Signing
[omitted by me]

Recent Signatures

[omitted by me. Even though they are on the webpage, I don't know
if they agreed to that, and although they probably woudl have, they
definitely didn't agree to have their names here.]

and 635 more…

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 8:41*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

There has always been electrophobia, people have complained about
being influenced by 60 Hz power lines since before 1900. And these
same complainers use all sorts of electronic devices that emit RF, lke
cellphones, baby monitors, garage door opener tramsmitters, etc. If I
am using kilowatts of energy at 3 am, maybe someone should know why,
maybe I'm growing a house full of marijuana plants, There is hardly
anything on this earth that is not dangerous in some fashion.
Sunlight is bad, air causes allergies, moonlight causes wolves to
howl, where will the nonsense end?????
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

micky wrote:

They say they have safety objections!!! What a hoot!!!!!

We Say NO to Wireless Smart Meters in the State of Maryland!

DESPITE WHAT SOME PEOPLE SAY, SMART METERS ARE NOT SAFE!

What you posted can be found he

http://www.change.org/petitions/we-s...te-of-maryland

Those people should be making the case against smart meters based on the
stupidity of spending hundreds per house (and millions on communications
and new billing software) to *more precisely allocate* a few dozen kwh
worth of electricity use per home per month.

The truth is that - individual residental homes - don't comsume enough
electricity to warrant the cost for ultra-precise time-of-use metering
and billing.

Another truth is that smart meters is really all about eliminating
meter-reading. The time-of-use aspect is what is put forward
publically, and as I stated above even that argument doesn't hold water.

That is the best ammunition to use against the smart meter.

If you really are concerned about excessive RF/EMI/microwave exposure,
then put a metal enclosure around the smart meter (and connect the
enclosure to ground). And turn off your wifi broad-band router while
you're at it. And cancel your cell phone service and go back to
touch-tone land-line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 May 2012 18:49:18 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

* * [omitted by me. *Even though they are on the webpage, I don't know
if they agreed to that, and although they probably woudl have, *they
definitely didn't agree to have their names here.]

and 635 more…

There has always been electrophobia, people have complained about
being influenced by 60 Hz power lines since before 1900.

And those people are all dead, right? It's a shame not enough people
took their complaints seriously.

And these
same complainers use all sorts of electronic devices that emit RF, lke
cellphones, baby monitors,

Di you hear about the couple a few years ago who heard a murder being
planned on the baby monitor? No the baby wasn't planning it, but
someone using a cordless phone nearby was talking to her boyfriend
about their plans to murder her husband

And why is it the same people who smoke pot and use drugs don't want
their food to contain food additives, but the ones who don't use those
driugs don't object to food additives. Check it out and see if I'm
not riight

garage door opener tramsmitters, etc. If I
am using kilowatts of energy at 3 am, maybe someone should know why,
maybe I'm growing a house full of marijuana plants,

For a little while, some police used to use in IR camera to measure
the heat coming from someone's exterior walls, but the SC decided that
was illegal without a warrant (and if they could get a warrant, they
could also get a warrant to just enter and look. )

I wouldn't be surprised if that deicision was precedent for one barrin
gyour idea. Or not.

here is hardly
anything on this earth that is not dangerous in some fashion.
Sunlight is bad, air causes allergies, moonlight causes wolves to
howl, where will the nonsense end?????

When she stops emailing me? Oh, that's when, not where.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Mon, 21 May 2012 23:39:24 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

micky wrote:

They say they have safety objections!!! What a hoot!!!!!

We Say NO to Wireless Smart Meters in the State of Maryland!

DESPITE WHAT SOME PEOPLE SAY, SMART METERS ARE NOT SAFE!

What you posted can be found he

http://www.change.org/petitions/we-s...te-of-maryland

Those people should be making the case against smart meters based on the
stupidity of spending hundreds per house (and millions on communications
and new billing software) to *more precisely allocate* a few dozen kwh
worth of electricity use per home per month.

Someone, probably you, raised this in my previous thread. That's one
of the reasons for this thread, to show what their objections turned
out to be.

The truth is that - individual residental homes - don't comsume enough
electricity to warrant the cost for ultra-precise time-of-use metering
and billing.

Another truth is that smart meters is really all about eliminating
meter-reading. The time-of-use aspect is what is put forward
publically, and as I stated above even that argument doesn't hold water.

That is the best ammunition to use against the smart meter.

If you really are concerned about excessive RF/EMI/microwave exposure,
then put a metal enclosure around the smart meter (and connect the
enclosure to ground).

But then it won't be smart anymore. And soon the power company will
notice. And they'll send out two meter inspectors to break your
legs. And take off your enclosure. Don't put another one on it, or
we'll be back, and next time we'll be angry.

And turn off your wifi broad-band router while
you're at it. And cancel your cell phone service and go back to
touch-tone land-line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 May 2012 21:41:03 -0400, micky
wrote:

The same woman who want ed me to go to the PSC meeting, sent me a url
for an online petition (imagine how important that wil be!) which
explains their objections.

They say they have safety objections!!! What a hoot!!!!!

We Say NO to Wireless Smart Meters in the State of Maryland!

1) Most Smart meters not accurate by design.. the power co's have
opted for units which deliberately don't measure, nor credit returned
power.

2) Use an inferior electronic method to measure power consumption,
(subject to both RFI and component deterioration.) Lifespan is rated
at no more than 7 years.

3) Can remotely shut off power at any time day or night. New feature
which can fail or be hacked. Potentially inflicted major harm,
flooded basement, thawed/spoiled food, etc.

4) Can remotely shut off all power to 220v devices at any time. New
feature which can fail or be hacked.

5) Loss of privacy/security.. frequently reporte data can be used to
deterimend when your home or away, taking a shower/bath/washing dishes
etc. .

6) Are renewable energy unfriendly. (see 1).

7) As a transmitter, it can interfere with other devices you've
already purchased.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , Home Guy wrote:

Those people should be making the case against smart meters based on the
stupidity of spending hundreds per house (and millions on communications
and new billing software) to *more precisely allocate* a few dozen kwh
worth of electricity use per home per month.

The truth is that - individual residental homes - don't comsume enough
electricity to warrant the cost for ultra-precise time-of-use metering
and billing.

Another truth is that smart meters is really all about eliminating
meter-reading. The time-of-use aspect is what is put forward
publically, and as I stated above even that argument doesn't hold water.

Strange, but California has more people than any other state, but the lowest
energy consumption. That isn't/wasn't due to smart readers, but for those
unenlightened states (texas comes to mind...almost twice the per capita energy
use) the actual ability to tap into the potential uses of the smart meters might
lower energy use for these poor souls.

I'd also imagine that over some period of time, 5 or 10 years, not having to
have the overhead of meter readers will more than pay for the smart meters, thus
helping to stabilize costs to the consumers

That is the best ammunition to use against the smart meter.

If you really are concerned about excessive RF/EMI/microwave exposure,
then put a metal enclosure around the smart meter (and connect the
enclosure to ground). And turn off your wifi broad-band router while
you're at it. And cancel your cell phone service and go back to
touch-tone land-line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 9:41*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

....snip...

I am quietly amazed when I think about the vast number of different
signals that are flying through the air these days.

Millions of:

Cell Phones
WiFi routers
GPS's
Garage Door Openers
Remote Car Starters/Remote Key Entry
Emergency Vehicle Traffic Signal Changers
Satellite TV
Digital TV
Automatic Door Openers

Oh yeah...Smart Meters

Do these folks have a petition for all of those devices too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

The truth is that - individual residental homes - don't comsume
enough electricity to warrant the cost for ultra-precise time-of-
use metering and billing.

Strange, but California has more people than any other state, but
the lowest energy consumption.

Lowest on a per-capita basis - not on a total-use basis.

California is second to Texas in terms of total energy use.

That isn't/wasn't due to smart readers,

California's low energy-use-per-capita is mostly because of climate. It
has a vastly more temperate climate compared to Texas.

I'd also imagine that over some period of time, 5 or 10 years, not
having to have the overhead of meter readers will more than pay for
the smart meters, thus helping to stabilize costs to the consumers

The costs will remain - because nobody wants to remove a fee once it's
in place.

And - smart meters have a projected lifespan of about 1/2 that of analog
wheel-meters.

Smart-meters would be more prone to be taken out by lightning hits (even
indirect hits).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Home Guy wrote:

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

The truth is that - individual residental homes - don't comsume enough
electricity to warrant the cost for ultra-precise time-of- use metering
and billing.

Strange, but California has more people than any other state, but the
lowest energy consumption.

Lowest on a per-capita basis - not on a total-use basis.

California is 48th or 49th

California is second to Texas in terms of total energy use.

yes. California has about 50% more people than Texas per Capita California is
about 33% of Texas

That isn't/wasn't due to smart readers,

California's low energy-use-per-capita is mostly because of climate. It has
a vastly more temperate climate compared to Texas.

but more people. California also has more population subject to extremes than
does Texas

I'd also imagine that over some period of time, 5 or 10 years, not having
to have the overhead of meter readers will more than pay for the smart
meters, thus helping to stabilize costs to the consumers

The costs will remain - because nobody wants to remove a fee once it's in
place.

what fee is that?

And - smart meters have a projected lifespan of about 1/2 that of analog
wheel-meters.

Smart-meters would be more prone to be taken out by lightning hits (even
indirect hits).

none of which changes the fact that they will save money over time and
potentially add benefits to those that wish to monitor their energy usage.

I've seen posts from people who found suspicious energy spikes when they
monitored their usage patterns (which you can't do with "dumb" meters) and then
were able to change behaviours which allowed additional savings

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

And why is it the same people who smoke pot and use drugs don't want
their food to contain food additives, but the ones who don't use those
driugs don't object to food additives. Check it out and see if I'm
not riight

P.J. O'Rourke observed that the people in favor of abortion are opposed to
capital punishment. And vice-versa.

His solution? Kill them all and let God sort it out.

Of course this idea is not new - Pope Leo I offered the same advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
micky wrote:

And why is it the same people who smoke pot and use drugs don't want
their food to contain food additives, but the ones who don't use those
driugs don't object to food additives. Check it out and see if I'm
not riight

P.J. O'Rourke observed that the people in favor of abortion are opposed to
capital punishment. And vice-versa.

His solution? Kill them all and let God sort it out.

Of course this idea is not new - Pope Leo I offered the same advice.

You need to check your historical references.
The expression is ascribed to an abbot during the Cathar heresy rebellion in
France.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Attila.Iskander wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
micky wrote:

And why is it the same people who smoke pot and use drugs don't want
their food to contain food additives, but the ones who don't use
those driugs don't object to food additives. Check it out and see
if I'm not riight

P.J. O'Rourke observed that the people in favor of abortion are
opposed to capital punishment. And vice-versa.

His solution? Kill them all and let God sort it out.

Of course this idea is not new - Pope Leo I offered the same advice.

You need to check your historical references.
The expression is ascribed to an abbot during the Cathar heresy
rebellion in France.

So right. In addition to an abbot, Arnaud-Armaury was the Papal Legate, sort
of an ambassador plenipotentiary, with powers derive directly from the Holy
See. And the Pope involved was Innocent III, not Leo I.

The actual quote, "Neca ecos omnes, Deus suos agnoscet," (Kill them all, God
will know His own) is an extension of 2 Tim 2:19 "The Lord knoweth them that
are His own."

I don't think the Cathars were in "rebellion," so much as they wanted to be
left alone to worship Isis and encourage their six-year olds to have sex. It
was the Church who waged war on the Cathars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 2:41*am, micky wrote:
The same woman who want ed me to go to the PSC meeting, sent me a url
for an online petition (imagine how important that wil be!) which
explains their objections.

They say they have safety objections!!! *What a hoot!!!!!

We Say NO to Wireless Smart Meters in the State of Maryland!

You are mentally deranged. Sit down, take a few pills, go and see a
shrink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Attila.Iskander wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
micky wrote:

[...]

And how much of that nonsense was propaganda from the RC to justify their
treatment of the Cathar..
After all the winners get to write the history, and when the losers are
effectively eliminated, there is no one to write their side of the story and
negate the lies told about them.

"Smart" meters can save the power company HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 19 March 8th 12 02:52 PM
Smart meters: what's the catch? Mike Barnes UK diy 26 November 2nd 10 09:52 AM
OT-How to hack smart meters Azotic Metalworking 12 June 29th 10 11:31 PM
Smart meters jgharston UK diy 0 January 29th 10 04:10 PM
On "Smart" power meters HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 38 December 16th 09 11:20 PM