Posted to alt.home.repair
T. Keating T. Keating is offline

Default Follow-up on smart meters, why they (say they) object.

On Mon, 21 May 2012 21:41:03 -0400, micky
wrote:

The same woman who want ed me to go to the PSC meeting, sent me a url
for an online petition (imagine how important that wil be!) which
explains their objections.

They say they have safety objections!!! What a hoot!!!!!

We Say NO to Wireless Smart Meters in the State of Maryland!

1) Most Smart meters not accurate by design.. the power co's have
opted for units which deliberately don't measure, nor credit returned
power.

2) Use an inferior electronic method to measure power consumption,
(subject to both RFI and component deterioration.) Lifespan is rated
at no more than 7 years.

3) Can remotely shut off power at any time day or night. New feature
which can fail or be hacked. Potentially inflicted major harm,
flooded basement, thawed/spoiled food, etc.

4) Can remotely shut off all power to 220v devices at any time. New
feature which can fail or be hacked.

5) Loss of privacy/security.. frequently reporte data can be used to
deterimend when your home or away, taking a shower/bath/washing dishes
etc. .

6) Are renewable energy unfriendly. (see 1).

7) As a transmitter, it can interfere with other devices you've
already purchased.