Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default smart meters

On 22/08/2019 12:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho pretended :
12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is
router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to
about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand
by?

100w as a base load is still a helluva lot.

It is a target to aim for in a modern house with things like burglar
alarm, emergency lights, router, cooker, freezer, fridge, TV, phone,
radio, clocks and hifi all taking their share. Most homes use more!

Routers are actually quite power hungry. And if you have an older TV
from when TDTV was new some of them by default consume almost as much in
"standby" as they do when they are on. This is well worth checking!

I'd quite like a router that did wake on LAN and suspended itself when
there was no internet traffic for more than 15 minutes. My router is the
largest base load component at 12W followed by alarm and kitchen things
at about 5W that have LED time/temperature displays on them lit 24/7.

My base load is Fridge/freezer, upright freezer, 2x routers, 3x TV's on
standby, 1x radio on standby, 1x electro/mechanical timeclock, 1x auto-
occupancy switch, heating controls and 4x USB chargers which are always on.

As said earlier - My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works
out at £0.03664. That is 87p per day including meter.

That includes when I up and about, heating pump running, lights TV's on
etc..

I am up now, big screen TV on, laptop on, no heating, but usual baseload
- showing 97w

My daytime load is typically 400W mostly for computers and a printer.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown