Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default smart meters

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom. I still don't know how long it had been on but, to be
honest, having removed it, there is little noticeable difference to
overall electricity consumption, which I record monthly.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater
behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom.Â* I still don't know how long it had been on but, to be
honest, having removed it, there is little noticeable difference to
overall electricity consumption, which I record monthly.

it was you then...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 08:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater
behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom.Â* I still don't know how long it had been on but, to
be honest, having removed it, there is little noticeable difference to
overall electricity consumption, which I record monthly.

it was you then...tee hee

playing with the display this morning...have to read the book...got a
suspicion RF is making the lecy reading go sky high ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 08:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/08/2019 08:29, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater
behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom.Â* I still don't know how long it had been on but, to
be honest, having removed it, there is little noticeable difference
to overall electricity consumption, which I record monthly.

it was you then...tee hee

playing with the display this morning...have to read the book...got a
suspicion RF is making the lecy reading go sky high ....

just have to get lodge dinners done away with under the excuse of
climate change now...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater
behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom.Â* I still don't know how long it had been on but, to be
honest, having removed it, there is little noticeable difference to
overall electricity consumption, which I record monthly.

how can one have an unused bathroom?...I have four and they are all used???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater
behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an unused
bathroom. I still don't know how long it had been on but, to be honest,
having removed it, there is little noticeable difference to overall
electricity consumption, which I record monthly.

how can one have an unused bathroom?...

By not having enough who need to use one.

I have four and they are all used???

Because you are a filthy individual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated on Thursday :
gas 65 lecy 50 a month all year

That is extravagant...

Mine is £71 per month combined gas and electric bills spread over the
12 months.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom.

how can one have an unused bathroom?...I have four and they are all used???

I have mentioned before that this house is an ex guest house, with shop
on the side. When we moved in, there were nine WCs, five showers, two
baths, nine hand basins and four sinks! The bathroom we didn't use was
a carbuncle tacked on the side of the house, containing WC, basin and
shower, although they (and the electric towel rail!) have now been
removed, thanks in no small part to much advice from this group. That
room is now used to store coal and firewood :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew laid this down on his screen :
My PIR light is plugged into a cheap mechanical timer to switch the
whole thing off from 1AM to 4PM, else it just sits there in daylight
using about 20 watts

I just use an ancient solar timeclock controlling my outside light, I
have it set to switch off at midnight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew laid this down on his screen :
The high pressure pipelines apparently
are the 'storage' for a quite a while because of the enormous pressures
involved.

Plus underground storage.

Its potentially dangerous to turn gas supplies off. Some older
appliances lack a flame failure and would spew gas out if it came back
on, with the appliance left on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:11:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the senile trolling asshole's latest troll****

....and much better air in here!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 09:11, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater
behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom.Â* I still don't know how long it had been on but, to
be honest, having removed it, there is little noticeable difference
to overall electricity consumption, which I record monthly.

how can one have an unused bathroom?...

By not having enough who need to use one.

I have four and they are all used???

Because you are a filthy individual.

that's right rod boggin'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 10:07, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
Â*Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom.

how can one have an unused bathroom?...I have four and they are all
used???

I have mentioned before that this house is an ex guest house, with shop
on the side.Â* When we moved in, there were nine WCs, five showers, two
baths, nine hand basins and four sinks!Â* The bathroom we didn't use was
a carbuncle tacked on the side of the house, containing WC, basin and
shower, although they (and the electric towel rail!) have now been
removed, thanks in no small part to much advice from this group.Â* That
room is now used to store coal and firewood :-)

that's OK then ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 10:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew laid this down on his screen :
My PIR light is plugged into a cheap mechanical timer to switch the
whole thing off from 1AM to 4PM, else it just sits there in daylight
using about 20 watts

I just use an ancient solar timeclock controlling my outside light, I
have it set to switch off at midnight.

Any details of make ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 18:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho brought next idea :
1 IP camera, 1 Radio

Yes, forgot I have one of those.
garage door opener, 4 Cordless phone chargers,

Yes and both of those.

3 Raspberry Pi's

Only one of those, running my weather station server.

Cooker standby, Microwave standby,

Both of those.

lights and no doubt lots I have forgotten.

Well, thanks for reminding me of some of my forgotten items.

My Sharp combi-microwave oven has an eco setting that shuts
off the lcd clock display after 5 minutes. No idea how much
power that saves

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 08:34, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater
behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom.Â* I still don't know how long it had been on but, to
be honest, having removed it, there is little noticeable difference to
overall electricity consumption, which I record monthly.

how can one have an unused bathroom?...I have four and they are all used???

Dementia ?. DO you forget which one you had a pee in last ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 19:58, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/08/2019 18:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/08/2019 11:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :
sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works out at £0.03664.

That is 87p per day.

the wife can tell now when I tX on 2m fm now...I run 70w and draw
about 10a at 12v .120w..the wee graph goes into the red...you would
wonder why It would do that....bears investigation

this bloody thing better not be over reading because of my 2m rf .....

The old CB kit used to need a fairly beefy power supply from what I
remember.

Is your stuff still full of valves ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 23/08/2019 08:34, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/08/2019 07:31, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

no....who was the guy on here that discovered an on electric heater
behind a
partition ?

Not quite, but I did discover a heater towel rail (electric) in an
unused bathroom. I still don't know how long it had been on but, to be
honest, having removed it, there is little noticeable difference to
overall electricity consumption, which I record monthly.

how can one have an unused bathroom?...I have four and they are all
used???

Dementia ?. DO you forget which one you had a pee in last ?.

no coz it is always rekin' o' pish,,,,,,,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 22/08/2019 18:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/08/2019 11:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :
sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works out at £0.03664.

That is 87p per day.

the wife can tell now when I tX on 2m fm now...I run 70w and draw about
10a at 12v .120w..the wee graph goes into the red...you would wonder why
It would do that....bears investigation

this bloody thing better not be over reading because of my 2m rf .....

nah checked it out on hf 2m 4m not over reading thank supreme being......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 15:55:51 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

My EDF bill for the last quarter is £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?

gas 65 lecy 50 a month all year

gas 0.00, lecy 201.56/month, oil ~2,000.00/year.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 13:30:05 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

My daytime load is typically 400W mostly for computers and a printer.

day time is around 1000 W. 400 W is more or less the overnight
minimum. Must try and find where it's all going...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 11:31, Andrew wrote:
On 22/08/2019 18:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho brought next idea :
1 IP camera, 1 Radio

Yes, forgot I have one of those.
garage door opener, 4 Cordless phone chargers,

Yes and both of those.

3 Raspberry Pi's

Only one of those, running my weather station server.

Cooker standby, Microwave standby,

Both of those.

lights and no doubt lots I have forgotten.

Well, thanks for reminding me of some of my forgotten items.

My Sharp combi-microwave oven has an eco setting that shuts
off the lcd clock display after 5 minutes. No idea how much
power that saves

Bugger all if it's passive with no backlight. (Well, hardly any power as
battery LCD clocks &c. work for years.)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 10:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew laid this down on his screen :
The high pressure pipelines apparently
are the 'storage' for a quite a while because of the enormous pressures
involved.

Plus underground storage.

Its potentially dangerous to turn gas supplies off. Some older
appliances lack a flame failure and would spew gas out if it came back
on, with the appliance left on.

I thought they always had a bimetallic strip heated by the (pilot) flame.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 12:16, Max Demian wrote:
On 23/08/2019 10:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew laid this down on his screen :
The high pressure pipelines apparently
are the 'storage' for a quite a while because of the enormous pressures
involved.

Plus underground storage.

Its potentially dangerous to turn gas supplies off. Some older
appliances lack a flame failure and would spew gas out if it came back
on, with the appliance left on.

I thought they always had a bimetallic strip heated by the (pilot) flame.

used to be only caravans
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 11:57, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 15:55:51 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

My EDF bill for the last quarter is £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?

gas 65 lecy 50 a month all year

gas 0.00, lecy 201.56/month, oil ~2,000.00/year.

That's obviously not a domestic electric usage then ?,
or do you have heat pump of some sort ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 13:30, Martin Brown wrote:
My daytime load is typically 400W mostly for computers and a printer.

That's a lot.

My 6-core amd win7/32 4g machine plus a samsung TV as a monitor
plus netgear switch is 140 watts while typing this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 22/08/2019 14:25, Andrew wrote:
On 22/08/2019 11:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 10:11:04 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

sorry lecy 12p/hour...shocking

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which
fixes those...

totly...too many gadgets

Must be all those compooters you leave on all night

My EDF bill for the last quarter is £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?

gas 65 lecy 50 a month all year

spring quarter to June

66 electric, 27 gas

HTH

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 23/08/2019 10:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew laid this down on his screen :
My PIR light is plugged into a cheap mechanical timer to switch the
whole thing off from 1AM to 4PM, else it just sits there in daylight
using about 20 watts

I just use an ancient solar timeclock controlling my outside light, I
have it set to switch off at midnight.

Any details of make ?

Sangamo?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 14:35, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/08/2019 12:16, Max Demian wrote:
On 23/08/2019 10:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew laid this down on his screen :
The high pressure pipelines apparently
are the 'storage' for a quite a while because of the enormous pressures
involved.

Plus underground storage.

Its potentially dangerous to turn gas supplies off. Some older
appliances lack a flame failure and would spew gas out if it came
back on, with the appliance left on.

I thought they always had a bimetallic strip heated by the (pilot) flame.

used to be only caravans

no sorry I meant dwelling flats ...sorry...but caravans as well ....no
idea the logic behind that...things may have changed ... new cookers may
now all have them......much safer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/08/2019 14:35, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/08/2019 12:16, Max Demian wrote:
On 23/08/2019 10:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew laid this down on his screen :
The high pressure pipelines apparently
are the 'storage' for a quite a while because of the enormous pressures
involved.

Plus underground storage.

Its potentially dangerous to turn gas supplies off. Some older
appliances lack a flame failure and would spew gas out if it came
back on, with the appliance left on.

I thought they always had a bimetallic strip heated by the (pilot) flame.

used to be only caravans

no sorry I meant dwelling flats ...sorry...but caravans as well ....no
idea the logic behind that...things may have changed ... new cookers may
now all have them......much safer

'Flame Failure' device. They're mandatory on caravan and boat cookers
certainly, I'm not sure about ordinary domestic ones though it would
make a lot of sense. I've occasionally missed a burner turned on but
not alight on our hob.

The ones I've come across (boat installed hobs) have thermocouples
rather than bimetallic strip (which I take to be a 'clicky' type
thing). The thermocouple generates enough voltage/current to hold a
small solenoid valve open. Working this way means it's pretty fail
safe unless the valve sticks open. They do occasionally fail the
other way though, failing to stay open when you release the manual
override for turning on.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:41:05 +0100, Andrew wrote:

My EDF bill for the last quarter is à £102, how much do you
pay for a summer quarter ?

gas 65 lecy 50 a month all year

gas 0.00, lecy 201.56/month, oil ~2,000.00/year.

That's obviously not a domestic electric usage then ?,
or do you have heat pump of some sort ?

Three supplies, historic as the place has evolved. First just the
house (1967), then the barn was converted to a B&B/Tearoom (1980),
finally the byre converted to dwelling to be occuppied by the
previous owners son who ened up in a wheel chair after a motorbike
accident (1996 & E7).

--
Cheers
Dave.