Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best combi for small 3bdr house?

Its looking like my daughters Worcester Bosch boiler needs to be
replaced. Recent visit by boiler man resulted in firstly a recommendation
for WB care plan as it would probably be cheaper (point in his favour) but
apparently the boiler is too old for this. (Havent checked the veracity of
this).

He suggested a Baxi boiler which I dont hear much about here. He was also
rather scathing about the reliability of WB boilers.

Anyhoo, what are currently regarded as the best or better combis these
days?

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

As a further aside, aren't we supposed to be moving away from *all*
Co2 producing heating solutions and going all renewable's / electric?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 10:30, T i m wrote:
On 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

As a further aside, aren't we supposed to be moving away from *all*
Co2 producing heating solutions and going all renewable's / electric?

Let me know when you find anyone connected with Extinction Rebellion
willing to answer questions about what "carbon neutral by 2025" would
mean for domestic heating.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 10:43:37 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 26/04/2019 10:30, T i m wrote:
On 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

As a further aside, aren't we supposed to be moving away from *all*
Co2 producing heating solutions and going all renewable's / electric?

Let me know when you find anyone connected with Extinction Rebellion
willing to answer questions about what "carbon neutral by 2025" would
mean for domestic heating.

As / when I meet one I'll ask. ;-)

But there was something on TV the other day with a new build eco
estate where they were all supposed to be carbon neutral now and using
blown air electric central heating?

Now, as long as we take 'renewable' energy as carbon neutral ...

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an "upgrade" to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

As a further aside, aren't we supposed to be moving away from *all*
Co2 producing heating solutions and going all renewable's / electric?

Nope, even you lot arent actually THAT stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Its looking like my daughters Worcester Bosch boiler needs to be
replaced. Recent visit by boiler man resulted in firstly a
recommendation for WB care plan as it would probably be cheaper (point
in his favour) but apparently the boiler is too old for this. (Havent
checked the veracity of this).

He suggested a Baxi boiler which I dont hear much about here. He was
also rather scathing about the reliability of WB boilers.

Anyhoo, what are currently regarded as the best or better combis these
days?

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

Tim

Beware the Baxi recommending plumber IMHO.

Some heating engineers seem to like to install only one type of boiler
(presumably familiarity and ease of spares, perhaps bulk buy incentive) so
their personal recommendation may have a bit of self interest built in.

We had a WB combi installed around 2006 in a 3 bed semi and AFAIK it has
never (or very rarely) been serviced. Still going strong last year again
AFAIK.

Our current WB has been in over 5 years, again no service (trend here?)
and so far is running fine.

Our daughter had a new Baxi combi in her house on the recommendation of
the plumber around 2007/08 and again didn't have it serviced. It failed a
few years back and had to be replaced. No service, no warranty so that is
a risk.

On purely my personal experience I would prefer WB over Baxi every time.

Received wisdom from this group in the past has been for WB or Vaillant.

Which? Rates WB highest at 86%, followed by Viessman at 83% and Vaillant
at 80% (which is also rated as the engineer's favourite).
The Baxi brand score is 54%.
Which? isn't always 100% accurate but this may at least give an indication
of the relative quality.

Recommendation: ask a different heating engineer!

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 10:13, Tim+ wrote:
Its looking like my daughters Worcester Bosch boiler needs to be
replaced. Recent visit by boiler man resulted in firstly a recommendation
for WB care plan as it would probably be cheaper (point in his favour) but
apparently the boiler is too old for this. (Havent checked the veracity of
this).

He suggested a Baxi boiler which I dont hear much about here. He was also
rather scathing about the reliability of WB boilers.

Anyhoo, what are currently regarded as the best or better combis these
days?

The usual recommendation seems to be Vaillant, WB, and Viessman...

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

Parts alone are likely to be around £2,500 if you go for quality kit.

I did a complete refit here about six or seven years ago, and did a
conventional boiler and cylinder replacement. I went for a system boiler
with unvented cylinder, fully upgraded controls, with weather
compensation and external temp sensor. Fitted / changed three new rads.
Added whole house phosphate dosing scale reducer, whole house blending
valve, split the heating into two zones. Total parts for that came in at
just under 3K when allowing for a couple of hundred I got back for
weighing in scrap and ebaying the old programmer, stats, and a reclaimed
gas valve.

Needless to say, if you need to add labour, that will add significantly
to the price!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Let me know when you find anyone connected with Extinction Rebellion
willing to answer questions about what "carbon neutral by 2025" would
mean for domestic heating.

Let me know when you find one that doesn't appear to believe* mankind
will be extinct in 11 years unless we do what they demand.

[*] judging by the XR supporters who phoned in to talk radio channels
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 10:13, Tim+ wrote:
Its looking like my daughters Worcester Bosch boiler needs to be
replaced. Recent visit by boiler man resulted in firstly a recommendation
for WB care plan as it would probably be cheaper (point in his favour) but
apparently the boiler is too old for this. (Havent checked the veracity of
this).

He suggested a Baxi boiler which I dont hear much about here. He was also
rather scathing about the reliability of WB boilers.

Anyhoo, what are currently regarded as the best or better combis these
days?

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

We're (still) looking at a new boiler so I'm watching with interest but
thought I'd flag up the issue of guarantees: they vary enormously but
it's hard to judge their value. Eg Vaillant offer on some boilers 10
years if fitted with a "protection kit" and serviced annually.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 10:13, Tim+ wrote:

Anyhoo, what are currently regarded as the best or better combis these
days?

Tim

The usual reccomendation is WB, which I've just bought, and it seems
good. Only ~9 months old, so no idea of reliability. Soempeople like
Vailant, but I had one a number of years ago, and never again, and my
Mom's house had a Baxi, which really didn't seem to last well enough IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there already an Immersion Heater Power supply?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 19:49:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Nope

LOL He said it again!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually to be fair to them, the industry has been peddling very slowly on
carbon capture etc for many years now, its a a bit of a scandal.
I do however have worries about moving the production of co2 away from the
usage point to the power generating sites. If we are unhappy to use Nuclear
and have not made cheap power storage for renewable what is the point?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robin" wrote in message
On 26/04/2019 10:30, T i m wrote:
On 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an "upgrade" to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

As a further aside, aren't we supposed to be moving away from *all*
Co2 producing heating solutions and going all renewable's / electric?

Let me know when you find anyone connected with Extinction Rebellion
willing to answer questions about what "carbon neutral by 2025" would mean
for domestic heating.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's still lawful to DIY if you are competent. But I'm not going to do
ours as I'm not confident in my soldering and it'll almost certainly
need a new pipe from the meter.

What has changed is that a new boiler is now notifiable work, like Part
P electrical work. I suspect rarely done. Our council's building
control don't even list a price for signing off a boiler as they do for
a rewire.

On 26/04/2019 16:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Assuming its even legal to fit one these days...
Brian

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 11:17, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/04/2019 10:13, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

As will the retail 'mark up' on that £2,500 figure
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Actually to be fair to them, the industry has been peddling very slowly on
carbon capture etc for many years now, its a a bit of a scandal.
I do however have worries about moving the production of co2 away from the
usage point to the power generating sites. If we are unhappy to use Nuclear
and have not made cheap power storage for renewable what is the point?
Brian

Carbon capture doesn't work, nor is it likely to.

The beauty of transferring CO2 production to a central point is that it
can then be used for carbon trading. As I see it, if the ruler of some
benighted (but large) third world country is willing to trade his
citizens' access to electricity for cash in a Swiss bank account we can
'buy' that country's allocation of CO2 production and take our CO2
production off the books. It no longer counts against us! All for
money.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WB 28i Junior questions (was Best combi for small 3bdr house?)

Okay, Ive got some more details about my daughters boiler. Its a WB 28i
Junior That according to WB is 15 years old.

Currently itll only make HW when the thermostat is calling for CH and
often not even then. Frequently of start-up you can hear the boiler kettle
get and the locking out (almost certainly due to over-heat). I witnessed it
do this and couldnt detect any vibration from the pump whist this was
happening so I suspect that sometimes the pump isnt starting.

Also the HW temperature is hard to control swinging between too hot and too
cold.

To me it sounds like a dodgy pump and maybe a dodgy flow switch too but I
dont really have any first hand experience of combis. Given its age, is
it worth a piece by price repair or should we cut our losses and just go
for a new boiler? (Not a Baxi).

There *does* seem to be some sort of magnetic filter in the system so
whilst slugging might be a factor, Im not sure its a major factor.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 21:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I would always repair if possible. If it is the pump then often you can
change just the pump body.

You can often get parts on eBay as so often boilers are scrapped when
fully working, or with a known fault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 April 2019 21:43:33 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it'll be more than an order of magnitude cheaper to repair, if you diy anyway. If not still far cheaper.
You might start with:
Pump not running: monitor electrical feed to pump.
HW not firing: monitor cyl stat output
etc
Water going hot/cold: one cause of this with combis is demand falling below minimum boiler output. Increasing water flow resolves.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 10:43, Robin wrote:
On 26/04/2019 10:30, T i m wrote:
On 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

As a further aside, aren't we supposed to be moving away from *all*
Co2 producing heating solutions and going all renewable's / electric?

Let me know when you find anyone connected with Extinction Rebellion
willing to answer questions about what "carbon neutral by 2025" would
mean for domestic heating.

There was someone from one of the "green" organisations on this subject
the other day. All our power can be obtained from renewable sources by
2025, no gas, no coal, and no nuclear (I assume no "green" log burning
stoves or camp fires to pollute the atmosphere).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Actually to be fair to them, the industry has been peddling very slowly
on
carbon capture etc for many years now, its a a bit of a scandal.
I do however have worries about moving the production of co2 away from
the
usage point to the power generating sites. If we are unhappy to use
Nuclear
and have not made cheap power storage for renewable what is the point?
Brian

Carbon capture doesn't work, nor is it likely to.

It does work when its captured as limestone etc,
the problem is that its not economic to do that.

The beauty of transferring CO2 production to a central point is that
it can then be used for carbon trading. As I see it, if the ruler of
some benighted (but large) third world country is willing to trade his
citizens' access to electricity for cash in a Swiss bank account we can
'buy' that country's allocation of CO2 production and take our CO2
production off the books. It no longer counts against us! All for money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 April 2019 20:35:09 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
The beauty of transferring CO2 production to a central point is that it
can then be used for carbon trading.

Didn't we recently have a *shortage* of CO2?

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-produc...-shortage.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 15:13:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Carbon capture doesn't work, nor is it likely to.

It does work when its captured as limestone etc,
the problem is that its not economic to do that.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you abnormal senile pest?

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 14:50:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Everyone has heat pumps in New Zealand it seems.

Like hell they do.

I know that even in New Zealand everyone would consider you a sick asshole,
if they knew you, senile Ozzie pest! And the best part of it: you know it
too! BG

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 10:30, T i m wrote:
On 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

As a further aside, aren't we supposed to be moving away from *all*
Co2 producing heating solutions and going all renewable's / electric?

Let me know when you find anyone connected with Extinction Rebellion
willing to answer questions about what "carbon neutral by 2025" would
mean for domestic heating.

Battery backed windmills and heatpumps is what they are talking about in
the silly season.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
There was someone from one of the "green" organisations on this subject
the other day. All our power can be obtained from renewable sources by
2025, no gas, no coal, and no nuclear (I assume no "green" log burning
stoves or camp fires to pollute the atmosphere).

If it was the same interview I heard, they were on about tidal power as
being the only reliable one. Thought that had already been costed and it's
also the most expensive 'renewable' by miles.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 11:42:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

We're (still) looking at a new boiler so I'm watching with
interest but thought I'd flag up the issue of guarantees: they
vary enormously but it's hard to judge their value. Eg Vaillant
offer on some boilers 10 years if fitted with a "protection kit"
and serviced annually.

Same guarantee offer here (10yrs) from local supplier/installer
provided we service every year. We have a 40kW WB combi and I
wouldn't get another one - there's an annoying interaction between
the HW and CH that makes for showers running hot or cold for a while
when starting up, no probs in summertime with no CH demand. Even the
wB helpline people only offer the usual "it's because there's
storage in the pipes..." etc, overlooking the fact that it all works
well in summertime. It's also more noisy than I expected, which
might be a prob if the room it's in was occupied at night.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2019 19:52, Andrew wrote:
On 26/04/2019 11:17, John Rumm wrote:

Needless to say, if you need to add labour, that will add
significantly to the price!

As will the retail 'mark up' on that £2,500 figure

The installer may well mark it up, although I was paying "retail" prices
from a local plumber's merchant - they seemed competitive with online
prices.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 26/04/2019 19:52, Andrew wrote:
On 26/04/2019 11:17, John Rumm wrote:

Needless to say, if you need to add labour, that will add
significantly to the price!

As will the retail 'mark up' on that 2,500 figure

The installer may well mark it up, although I was paying "retail" prices
from a local plumber's merchant - they seemed competitive with online
prices.

When I bought my Viessmann, it was about 300 cheaper online (Ebay) than
my local Viessmann dealer. With free carriage.

--
*They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a Type-O.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
There was someone from one of the "green" organisations on this subject
the other day. All our power can be obtained from renewable sources by
2025, no gas, no coal, and no nuclear (I assume no "green" log burning
stoves or camp fires to pollute the atmosphere).

If it was the same interview I heard, they were on about tidal power as
being the only reliable one. Thought that had already been costed and it's
also the most expensive 'renewable' by miles.

I fail to see how anything that incorporates permanent contact
with, or existance near salt water can be termed reliable, unless
it is built to nuclear engineering standards, in which case ...

I visit Worthing regularly and the way the sea scours away
and corrodes anything metal (or timber) is awsome.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
There was someone from one of the "green" organisations on this subject
the other day. All our power can be obtained from renewable sources by
2025, no gas, no coal, and no nuclear (I assume no "green" log burning
stoves or camp fires to pollute the atmosphere).

If it was the same interview I heard, they were on about tidal power as
being the only reliable one. Thought that had already been costed and
it's
also the most expensive 'renewable' by miles.

I fail to see how anything that incorporates permanent contact
with, or existance near salt water can be termed reliable, unless
it is built to nuclear engineering standards, in which case ...

I visit Worthing regularly and the way the sea scours away
and corrodes anything metal (or timber) is awsome.

And yet some of the longest bridges in the world survive fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it was the same interview I heard, they were on about tidal power as
being the only reliable one. Thought that had already been costed and it's
also the most expensive 'renewable' by miles.

Renewable has never been cheap despite being sold as the sun and wind
are free. It's much like the myth that the government are providing the
money for "green" subsidies.

There was nothing about tidal in the interview I listened to but with
the Extinction Rebellion protests every radio station had someone from
the loony green community.

As for UK tidal it's not just cost but the practically/efficiency and
the long term damage to the ecology.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 14:52:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I fail to see how anything that incorporates permanent contact
with, or existance near salt water can be termed reliable, unless
it is built to nuclear engineering standards, in which case ...

I visit Worthing regularly and the way the sea scours away
and corrodes anything metal (or timber) is awsome.

And yet some of the longest bridges in the world survive fine.

ROTFLOL! In auto-contradicting mode again, you abnormal senile pest?

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 16:31:29 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Everyone has heat pumps in New Zealand it seems.
Brian

Presume this is sarcastic?

Most people in NZ don't seem to have heat pumps, most don't have any
heating apart from electric fires/fan heaters/radiators.

Houses are very poorly insulated as well.

I have a family member living there and have also extensively travelled in
NZ.

Of course, some of the new builds may be different but the one I know
about wasn't built to include a heat pump.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 11:17:22 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 26/04/2019 10:13, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Just out of interest (at the moment) would the cost of replacing "like for
like" be anywhere near that?

That is, removing an existing combination boiler and installing a new one
in the same location.

Given that all the services (gas, water, electricity) should already be
there I assume that the labour involved is significantly less than a new
install or a full upgrade?

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/worcester/greenstar-cdi-compact/

is currently listing WB boilers starting at £1099.24 including VAT so
rashly assuming the labour would be 2 days that might bring the whole
install in under £2k.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2019 12:22, David wrote:

Of course, some of the new builds may be different but the one I know
about wasn't built to include a heat pump.

There was a tiny bit on heat pumps on the radio today. It wasn't on
saving energy but on the cost of running.

The general conclusion was that if you heated your house with mains gas
you would probably save no money by replacing gas heating with a heat
pump. The cost of running a heat pump with electricity plus the gain
of the pump is negated by gas being 4x cheaper per unit.

For other forms of domestic heating the comparison will be different.