Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Best combi for small 3bdr house?

On 26/04/2019 11:17, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/04/2019 10:13, Tim+ wrote:
Its looking like my daughters Worcester Bosch boiler needs to be
replaced. Recent visit by boiler man resulted in firstly a recommendation
for WB care plan as it would probably be cheaper (point in his favour)
but
apparently the boiler is too old for this. (Havent checked the
veracity of
this).

He suggested a Baxi boiler which I dont hear much about here. He was
also
rather scathing about the reliability of WB boilers.

Anyhoo, what are currently regarded as the best or better combis these
days?

The usual recommendation seems to be Vaillant, WB, and Viessman...

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

Parts alone are likely to be around £2,500 if you go for quality kit.

I did a complete refit here about six or seven years ago, and did a
conventional boiler and cylinder replacement. I went for a system boiler
with unvented cylinder, fully upgraded controls, with weather
compensation and external temp sensor. Fitted / changed three new rads.
Added whole house phosphate dosing scale reducer, whole house blending
valve, split the heating into two zones. Total parts for that came in at
just under 3K when allowing for a couple of hundred I got back for
weighing in scrap and ebaying the old programmer, stats, and a reclaimed
gas valve.

Needless to say, if you need to add labour, that will add significantly
to the price!

As will the retail 'mark up' on that £2,500 figure