floody

Default Would you choose a combi or a pressurised hot water tank in a small 2 bedroomed house?

We have a small house and wish to add a shower in our bedroom. At the
moment we have a hot water tank partially heated by the aga and an
emertion heater to give permenent hot water. After speaking to 2
plummers one suggests a pressurised tank and the other a Worcester
combi boiler. If we go for the tank we would still have to have the
emertion on all the time and replace the existing central heating
boiler as it is 15 years old now. On the other hand we may have a few
leaks and the pressure of the shower may not be so good.

Doctor Drivel

"floody" wrote in message
oups.com...

We have a small house and wish to add a shower in our bedroom. At the
moment we have a hot water tank partially heated by the aga and an
emertion heater to give permenent hot water. After speaking to 2
plummers one suggests a pressurised tank and the other a Worcester
combi boiler. If we go for the tank we would still have to have the
emertion on all the time and replace the existing central heating
boiler as it is 15 years old now. On the other hand we may have a few
leaks and the pressure of the shower may not be so good.

Avoid an unvented cylinder - you need an annual service. A combi is ideal
for your situation. Get a high flow rate combi. If you only have showers,
and only one shower then 12 to 13 litres/min is fine. If you take baths
then 15 litres/min or above is better.

John Rumm

floody wrote:

We have a small house and wish to add a shower in our bedroom. At the
moment we have a hot water tank partially heated by the aga and an
emertion heater to give permenent hot water. After speaking to 2
plummers one suggests a pressurised tank and the other a Worcester
combi boiler. If we go for the tank we would still have to have the
emertion on all the time and replace the existing central heating
boiler as it is 15 years old now. On the other hand we may have a few
leaks and the pressure of the shower may not be so good.

The shower pressure will be much the same fed from either mains (via a
combi) or a pressurised hot water cylinder - both will supply high pressure.

If you go the combi route make sure that your mains pressure and flow
rate is adequate first and steer clear of the smaller output combis.

If you stay with a cylinder (of whatever sort) you will probably be
better off getting it heated by a gas boiler full time rather than
relying on the (expensive to run) immersion.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:11:05 -0700, floody wrote:

We have a small house and wish to add a shower in our bedroom. At the
moment we have a hot water tank partially heated by the aga and an
emertion heater to give permenent hot water. After speaking to 2
plummers one suggests a pressurised tank and the other a Worcester
combi boiler. If we go for the tank we would still have to have the
emertion on all the time and replace the existing central heating
boiler as it is 15 years old now. On the other hand we may have a few
leaks and the pressure of the shower may not be so good.

Thee are many new two bedroom flats with an unvented tank. However just
whether this is what you need will depend on many factors. The Main FAQ
may help. +

Christian McArdle

We have a small house and wish to add a shower in our bedroom.

If showers are your thing and you have a small house, a combi would seem
ideal. If you've got a big house, spare space for a tank and like baths, I'd
go for a heat bank. I've gone off unvented cylinders because of the
maintenance/safety issues and my experience of my heat bank is that it just
works, without the worry that it might explode one day.

Christian.

Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
We have a small house and wish to add a shower in our bedroom.

If showers are your thing and you
have a small house, a combi would seem
ideal. If you've got a big house,

He has a 2 bedroom job.

spare space for a tank and like baths, I'd
go for a heat bank.

Oh my God, not again. He can get an Alpha CD50 for under £1000, which will
do all the heating and fill the bath pronto (as fast as cylinders), and
NEVER run out of hot water and do two showers too. Why the hell should he
put space consuming, expensive, cylinders and tanks in?

I know you are only an amateur, but at least try and use some logic and
common sense.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Get a high flow rate combi. If you only have showers,
and only one shower then 12 to 13 litres/min is fine.

12 to 13 litres is 'high flow rate'. More adspeak from our resident alien.

--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Get a high flow rate combi. If you only have showers,
and only one shower then 12 to 13 litres/min is fine.

12 to 13 litres

snip senile babble and drivel

Aidan

Doctor Drivel wrote:

spare space for a tank and like baths, I'd
go for a heat bank.

Oh my God, not again. He can get an Alpha CD50 for under £1000, which will
do all the heating and fill the bath pronto (as fast as cylinders),etc..

True Dr. Drivel, but he also has an Aga, which needs to be attached
to an open vented system (if I understand it correctly). A heat bank
would allow this, would take up no more soace than an unpressurized
cylinder and would provide high pressure hot water. A system boiler
could be connected to the heat bank via the primary coil. It seems a
neat solution for the OP's requirements.

In view of this, would even you be more amenable to a heat bank?

Doctor Drivel

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:

spare space for a tank and like baths, I'd
go for a heat bank.

Oh my God, not again. He can get an Alpha CD50 for under £1000, which

will
do all the heating and fill the bath pronto (as fast as cylinders),etc..

True Dr. Drivel, but he also has an Aga,
which needs to be attached

It doesn't need to be attached. It be be disconnected from the water
system.

to an open vented system (if I understand
it correctly). A heat bank would allow this,
would take up no more soace than an
unpressurized cylinder and would provide
high pressure hot water.

Yep. At a price!!!! For a two bedroomed house that is far too great when
cheaper bette solutions are around.

A system boiler could be connected to
the heat bank via the primary coil. It seems a
neat solution for the OP's requirements.

It is not. His requirements are slight and an Alpha CD50 will do it and
even more, and not take up space and add complexity.

In view of this, would even you be more amenable to a heat bank?

No. An Alpha CD50 looks best at the mo, even a lower flowrate may be
suitable if baths are a once a month affair.

Richard Conway

Aidan wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

spare space for a tank and like baths, I'd
go for a heat bank.

Oh my God, not again. He can get an Alpha CD50 for under £1000, which will
do all the heating and fill the bath pronto (as fast as cylinders),etc..

True Dr. Drivel, but he also has an Aga, which needs to be attached
to an open vented system (if I understand it correctly). A heat bank
would allow this, would take up no more soace than an unpressurized
cylinder and would provide high pressure hot water. A system boiler
could be connected to the heat bank via the primary coil. It seems a
neat solution for the OP's requirements.

In view of this, would even you be more amenable to a heat bank?

It depends if he can find a leaflet about agas.
Doctor Drivel

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Aidan wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

spare space for a tank and like baths, I'd
go for a heat bank.

Oh my God, not again. He can get an Alpha CD50 for under £1000, which

will
do all the heating and fill the bath pronto (as fast as cylinders),etc..

True Dr. Drivel, but he also has an Aga, which needs to be attached
to an open vented system (if I understand it correctly). A heat bank
would allow this, would take up no more soace than an unpressurized
cylinder and would provide high pressure hot water. A system boiler
could be connected to the heat bank via the primary coil. It seems a
neat solution for the OP's requirements.

In view of this, would even you be more amenable to a heat bank?

It depends if he can find a leaflet about agas.

Aga? I would throw it out. An ugly waste of antiquated space.

Richard Conway

Aidan wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

spare space for a tank and like baths, I'd
go for a heat bank.

Oh my God, not again. He can get an Alpha CD50 for under £1000, which

will

do all the heating and fill the bath pronto (as fast as cylinders),etc..

True Dr. Drivel, but he also has an Aga, which needs to be attached
to an open vented system (if I understand it correctly). A heat bank
would allow this, would take up no more soace than an unpressurized
cylinder and would provide high pressure hot water. A system boiler
could be connected to the heat bank via the primary coil. It seems a
neat solution for the OP's requirements.

In view of this, would even you be more amenable to a heat bank?

It depends if he can find a leaflet about agas.

Aga? I would throw it out. An ugly waste of antiquated space.

Exactly, all that wasted space that could be used to site combis!
Doctor Drivel

Aidan wrote:

[...]

Russ, if that what turned you on then fine.

Mr Fizzion

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:21:30 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Aga? I would throw it out. An ugly waste of antiquated space.

I gather most space is antiquated...I have emailed a question to
Steven Hawking just to make sure.

Mr Fizzion

On 18 Oct 2005 13:11:05 -0700, "floody"
wrote:

We have a small house and wish to add a shower in our bedroom. At the
moment we have a hot water tank partially heated by the aga and an
emertion heater to give permenent hot water. After speaking to 2
plummers one suggests a pressurised tank and the other a Worcester
combi boiler. If we go for the tank we would still have to have the
emertion on all the time and replace the existing central heating
boiler as it is 15 years old now. On the other hand we may have a few
leaks and the pressure of the shower may not be so good.

For a small house I can't see any point in having a tank of any kind
with all the space it takes up. A combi boiler seems perfect for small
houses. Using an immersion heater all the time is a waste of money.

Mr F.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:17:28 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

It is not. His requirements are slight and an Alpha CD50 will do it and
even more, and not take up space and add complexity.

In view of this, would even you be more amenable to a heat bank?

No. An Alpha CD50 looks best at the mo, even a lower flowrate may be
suitable if baths are a once a month affair.

You've been running your Alpha story for several months now. We're
into a new quarter now. They must have a very good promotion running,
or did the rep. buy you lunch, a puffy anorak and promises of a week
in Eyebyeza next year?

Did he wink at you at all, or did the one bath a month put him off?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

It is not. His requirements are slight and an Alpha CD50 will do it and
even more, and not take up space and add complexity.

In view of this, would even you be more amenable to a heat bank?

No. An Alpha CD50 looks best at the mo, even a lower flowrate may be
suitable if baths are a once a month affair.

You've been running your Alpha story for
several months now.

Matt, this thread only started today.

snip insanity

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Did he wink at you at all, or did the one bath a month put him off?

;-)

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *