Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Best combi for small 3bdr house?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 09:13:34 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Its looking like my daughters Worcester Bosch boiler needs to be
replaced. Recent visit by boiler man resulted in firstly a
recommendation for WB care plan as it would probably be cheaper (point
in his favour) but apparently the boiler is too old for this. (Havent
checked the veracity of this).

He suggested a Baxi boiler which I dont hear much about here. He was
also rather scathing about the reliability of WB boilers.

Anyhoo, what are currently regarded as the best or €śbetter€ť combis these
days?

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an €śupgrade€ť to a non-combi
and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more this might
cost compared to a combi?

Tim

Beware the Baxi recommending plumber IMHO.

Some heating engineers seem to like to install only one type of boiler
(presumably familiarity and ease of spares, perhaps bulk buy incentive) so
their personal recommendation may have a bit of self interest built in.

We had a WB combi installed around 2006 in a 3 bed semi and AFAIK it has
never (or very rarely) been serviced. Still going strong last year again
AFAIK.

Our current WB has been in over 5 years, again no service (trend here?)
and so far is running fine.

Our daughter had a new Baxi combi in her house on the recommendation of
the plumber around 2007/08 and again didn't have it serviced. It failed a
few years back and had to be replaced. No service, no warranty so that is
a risk.

On purely my personal experience I would prefer WB over Baxi every time.

Received wisdom from this group in the past has been for WB or Vaillant.

Which? Rates WB highest at 86%, followed by Viessman at 83% and Vaillant
at 80% (which is also rated as the engineer's favourite).
The Baxi brand score is 54%.
Which? isn't always 100% accurate but this may at least give an indication
of the relative quality.

Recommendation: ask a different heating engineer!

Cheers

Dave R

---