Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best combi for small 3bdr house?

On 28/04/2019 12:34, David wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 11:17:22 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 26/04/2019 10:13, Tim+ wrote:
Its looking like my daughters Worcester Bosch boiler needs to be
replaced. Recent visit by boiler man resulted in firstly a
recommendation for WB care plan as it would probably be cheaper (point
in his favour) but apparently the boiler is too old for this. (Havent
checked the veracity of this).

He suggested a Baxi boiler which I dont hear much about here. He was
also rather scathing about the reliability of WB boilers.

Anyhoo, what are currently regarded as the best or better combis
these days?

The usual recommendation seems to be Vaillant, WB, and Viessman...

As an aside, I would be tempted to subsidise an upgrade to a
non-combi and pressurised HW tank + immersion. Any ideas how much more
this might cost compared to a combi?

Parts alone are likely to be around £2,500 if you go for quality kit.

I did a complete refit here about six or seven years ago, and did a
conventional boiler and cylinder replacement. I went for a system boiler
with unvented cylinder, fully upgraded controls, with weather
compensation and external temp sensor. Fitted / changed three new rads.
Added whole house phosphate dosing scale reducer, whole house blending
valve, split the heating into two zones. Total parts for that came in at
just under 3K when allowing for a couple of hundred I got back for
weighing in scrap and ebaying the old programmer, stats, and a reclaimed
gas valve.

Needless to say, if you need to add labour, that will add significantly
to the price!

Just out of interest (at the moment) would the cost of replacing "like for
like" be anywhere near that?

That is, removing an existing combination boiler and installing a new one
in the same location.

Given that all the services (gas, water, electricity) should already be
there I assume that the labour involved is significantly less than a new
install or a full upgrade?

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/worcester/greenstar-cdi-compact/

is currently listing WB boilers starting at £1099.24 including VAT so
rashly assuming the labour would be 2 days that might bring the whole
install in under £2k.

Yup. possibly...

A like for like swap on a combi should be cheaper than swapping the
boiler and installing an unvented cylinder.

--
Cheers,

John.