Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rippig BD DVD

Hi all,

I bought a BD the other day and I fancied also having it in DVD form.

I've got it to a file that will play fine in VLC except the audio
track is for the sight impaired and I can't see a way of choosing
anything different to play in VLC or how to add / remove / select
anything different in the toolchain.

So, those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so (toolchain / procedures) and have you ever had to
'manage' the audio track etc please (ideally in W7/10, I don't have an
Mac with access to a BD player and any Linux solution is likely to
involve many CLI incantations). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

You'll have to lose a lot of quality squashing 50GB of BD onto a 4.7GB
DVD ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/18 13:30, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I bought a BD the other day and I fancied also having it in DVD form.

I've got it to a file that will play fine in VLC except the audio
track is for the sight impaired and I can't see a way of choosing
anything different to play in VLC or how to add / remove / select
anything different in the toolchain.

So, those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so (toolchain / procedures) and have you ever had to
'manage' the audio track etc please (ideally in W7/10, I don't have an
Mac with access to a BD player and any Linux solution is likely to
involve many CLI incantations). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

https://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-h...ray-collection
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 14:04:12 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

That was the bit I would need a bit of guidance on Andy. How would I
know / find out which is the track I need?

You'll have to lose a lot of quality squashing 50GB of BD onto a 4.7GB
DVD ...

I'm also likely to be squashing it into a smaller screen so may not
even notice ... and not being able to watch it on the DVD equipped TV
will have an even greater impact. ;-)

As an aside ... have you ever found yourself watch a 4x3 old TV show
or even B/W and finding that you have 'forgotten' it's not 16x9 and
HD?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 14:16:26 +0100, Richard
wrote:

On 15/04/18 13:30, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I bought a BD the other day and I fancied also having it in DVD form.

I've got it to a file that will play fine in VLC except the audio
track is for the sight impaired and I can't see a way of choosing
anything different to play in VLC or how to add / remove / select
anything different in the toolchain.

So, those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so (toolchain / procedures) and have you ever had to
'manage' the audio track etc please (ideally in W7/10, I don't have an
Mac with access to a BD player and any Linux solution is likely to
involve many CLI incantations). ;-)

https://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-h...ray-collection

Thanks for that Richard. Unfortunately (re my current situation) it
reflects pretty well what I've already done and doesn't seem to cover
the bit I need, eg, the possibility of different audio tracks and how
to select the right one? ;-(

I used the free eval version of AnyDVD to initially Rip the DVD and
then Handbrake to turn into a single MKV file (that VLC plays fine)
and I then used MKVMerge to try to select (or deselect) the audio
tracks and Handbrake again, but with no success.

I did read that it can be down to the order the audio tracks appear
and that it can simply pick up the first one it sees (which is the
wrong one in my case) buy outside of MKVMerge, I couldn't see of
anything that gave me an option to choose. ;-(

Maybe I'll try Make MKV instead to do the initial rip and go from
there.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/18 14:04, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

You'll have to lose a lot of quality squashing 50GB of BD onto a 4.7GB
DVD ...

There is no god but Handbrake on any platform

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

You'll have to lose a lot of quality squashing 50GB of BD onto a 4.7GB
DVD ...

There is no god but Handbrake on any platform

Re running the BD rip and then opening the main file with the default
W10 media player it allows me to select different audio tracks and it
looks like the 4Ch track No2 is the one I want (English with no
description), but VLC didn't give me those options.

Then going back to Handbrake I tried selecting a different (but same
sized) 'Main title' and that seemed to bring in a different range of
audio tracks so I've selected one that looks a likely suspect and I'm
encoding it now.

I'll find out if it works in ~3 hours. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

That was the bit I would need a bit of guidance on Andy. How would I
know / find out which is the track I need?

Not sure there's a way to know, file sizes mainly ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 17:19:08 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

That was the bit I would need a bit of guidance on Andy. How would I
know / find out which is the track I need?

Not sure there's a way to know, file sizes mainly ...

So it seems.

I guess I'm a long way from fully understanding the various
interactions as I've never really been into audio or video etc, so as
long as I get there on this one that will be good enough for me for my
S&G's exercise. ;-)

As I mentioned elsewhere, I normally buy the DVD version of any film
I'm interested (rather than going to the cinema or streaming it etc)
as I can play it in more things but with this I fancied the bonus
features and thought I / we might appreciate the 'better quality on
Mums bigger telly (when we were house sitting). I'm not sure with our
eyes we could / did. ;-(

It has been known for me to go for the dual BD/DVD bundle when they
are cheaper as that gives me the best of both worlds without the faf.
;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

T i m wrote:

[...]

you can start watching the output file that Handbrake creates (eg. in VLC)
as things progress, you don't have to wait until the conversion process has
completed. Just wait until a few 10s of MB are there. That can help confirm that
you are extracting the correct chapter/stream etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

[...]

Some DVD DRM endoded **** can only be circumvented by recording what VLC
produces using VLCS recod facility.

VLC is better at cracking DRM than handbrake.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 12:10:28 -0700 (PDT), jkn
wrote:
snip

Then going back to Handbrake I tried selecting a different (but same
sized) 'Main title' and that seemed to bring in a different range of
audio tracks so I've selected one that looks a likely suspect and I'm
encoding it now.

I'll find out if it works in ~3 hours. ;-)

you can start watching the output file that Handbrake creates (eg. in VLC)
as things progress, you don't have to wait until the conversion process has
completed. Just wait until a few 10s of MB are there. That can help confirm that
you are extracting the correct chapter/stream etc.

Hmm, I have ~1.4GB of .mp4 file now and if I open it with VLC the
progress bar just shoots across (in a second or so) but nothing else
happens?

Could this pre finish playability depend on what OS it's running on
(W10 here) or does it suggest the rip - encode process is broken
somewhere?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

That was the bit I would need a bit of guidance on Andy. How would I
know / find out which is the track I need?

You'll have to lose a lot of quality squashing 50GB of BD onto a 4.7GB
DVD ...

I'm also likely to be squashing it into a smaller screen so may not
even notice ... and not being able to watch it on the DVD equipped TV
will have an even greater impact. ;-)

As an aside ... have you ever found yourself watch a 4x3 old TV show
or even B/W and finding that you have 'forgotten' it's not 16x9 and
HD?

I certainly prefer to stretch 4:3 video to full screen and ignore the
distortion rather than have blank sections at each side. I don't really
notice when I'm absorbed in what's going on.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I certainly prefer to stretch 4:3 video to full screen
and ignore the distortion

shudder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

[...]

I do that to check that my Dad's Army episodes are free of the green
vertical line on the RHS of the cropped area that is at its most obvious
when played back in full screen. Cropping neatly gets rid of the BBC DOG
in the LHS pillar boxed area of the 960 by 540 of an sd1 download (or
that of an SD 720 by 576 broadcast) otherwise I wouldn't bother using
Handbrake to crop the mp4 or mpg files in the first place. Indeed, it's
the very presence of the DOG in the left hand side of the picture that
compromises Handbrake's auto-crop feature, requiring that the cropping be
manually applied in these cases.

Likewise with widescreen movies (and the occasional TV programme that
has, pointlessly, been cursed with a widescreen effect) where the DOG is
outside of the active display area. If cropping doesn't completely
eliminate the DOG without encroaching upon the active screen area,
there's little benefit to be gained by cropping.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:

[...]

Yeuch! :-)

Yeah, I know, "Each to his own." and you can view a flat panel display
at an offset angle from a reasonable distance to largely correct the AR
distortion optically.

The blank sections either side of a 4:3 programme pillar boxed into a
16:9 display are far less a distraction, imho, than the otherwise
resulting Fat Vision presentation, especially when the screen itself has
a black bezel to help hide the fact of the 'Black Bars' which can, in
turn be facilitated by viewing in a darkened room against a dark
background.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 15/04/18 13:30, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I bought a BD the other day and I fancied also having it in DVD form.

I've got it to a file that will play fine in VLC except the audio
track is for the sight impaired and I can't see a way of choosing
anything different to play in VLC or how to add / remove / select
anything different in the toolchain.

So, those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so (toolchain / procedures) and have you ever had to
'manage' the audio track etc please (ideally in W7/10, I don't have an
Mac with access to a BD player and any Linux solution is likely to
involve many CLI incantations). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

https://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-h...ray-collection

Newegg stuff seems to be shipped from the USA. Are the prices quoted including
taxes?

Dunno.
https://www.newegg.com/global/uk
Chat with them and ask:
https://help.newegg.com/contactus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 10:14:02 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:

I certainly prefer to stretch 4:3 video to full screen and ignore the
distortion

shudder.

Or "Yeuch!" :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

That was the bit I would need a bit of guidance on Andy. How would I
know / find out which is the track I need?

Some of the BDs seem to have loads of redundant indexes to choose from -
most of which will deliberately give you a broken video file (i.e bits
in the wrong order, or wrong audio, or missing audi etc). Quite often
you need to do a quick online search on the title first to find out
which tracks to process with handbrake.

(with DVDs its usually obvious)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

That was the bit I would need a bit of guidance on Andy. How would I
know / find out which is the track I need?

Some of the BDs seem to have loads of redundant indexes to choose from -
most of which will deliberately give you a broken video file (i.e bits
in the wrong order, or wrong audio, or missing audi etc).

Ok.

Quite often
you need to do a quick online search on the title first to find out
which tracks to process with handbrake.

I did a quick Google but didn't find anything specific but point
noted.

(with DVDs its usually obvious)

Quite, and what I've deal with so far.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if there is a 'bigger picture' with these
BD's I'd like to get it and then there might be less poke-and-hope.
;-)

I've now got a file that seems to work with the default settings of
VLC on a different PC to the one I created it on and so I'm fairly
confident it should produce a useable DVD.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, if there is a 'bigger picture' with these
BD's I'd like to get it and then there might be less poke-and-hope.

Previously I'd only used makeMKV for ripping BDs, perhaps I took
handbrake's claim to be unable to rip protected content at face value?

Seeing that handbrake has a new v1.1 out, I've just installed it for a
look, once all the gstreamer/aacs libraries and aacs keydb were in
place, it was easy enough to start a BD-DVD res copy, the inbuilt
preview looks like it would help with chapter/track selection.

I've left all the selections at default (apart from turning off
subtitles which looked like it was going to require a second pass of the
whole disc) and will see how it gets on ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Seeing that handbrake has a new v1.1 out, I've just installed it for a
look

Well the default selection made the same mistake that makemkv did
(selected the 'making of' rather than the main film when converting
Inception)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:37:27 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, if there is a 'bigger picture' with these
BD's I'd like to get it and then there might be less poke-and-hope.

Previously I'd only used makeMKV for ripping BDs, perhaps I took
handbrake's claim to be unable to rip protected content at face value?

Seeing that handbrake has a new v1.1 out, I've just installed it for a
look, once all the gstreamer/aacs libraries and aacs keydb were in
place, it was easy enough to start a BD-DVD res copy,

That sounds like a nice feature.

the inbuilt
preview looks like it would help with chapter/track selection.

If it has sound, agreed. I generally used the default settings and
seem to only now have just the film and the English stereo soundtrack.

I've left all the selections at default (apart from turning off
subtitles which looked like it was going to require a second pass of the
whole disc) and will see how it gets on ...

Look forward to the results. ;-)

The only gotcha might be my reading of 'it depends what order the
audio tracks come up' as to which one you get. Working on the basis
track 1 *wasn't* what I wanted (as seen by Handbrake), I went for
another one.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 21:02:23 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Seeing that handbrake has a new v1.1 out, I've just installed it for a
look

Well the default selection made the same mistake that makemkv did
(selected the 'making of' rather than the main film when converting
Inception)

It does seem it's quite a 'craft' eh? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2018 18:37, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, if there is a 'bigger picture' with these
BD's I'd like to get it and then there might be less poke-and-hope.

Previously I'd only used makeMKV for ripping BDs, perhaps I took
handbrake's claim to be unable to rip protected content at face value?

I tend to use it with AnyDVD HD - that makes all DVD/BD look
unprotected, so you can handbrake from the disc direct rather than
ripping it first.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2018 13:30, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I bought a BD the other day and I fancied also having it in DVD form.

Is it available on torrents, or nzb etc? If so, maybe just download it?
I'm not sure if it's legal to do that in your case, mind . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, if there is a 'bigger picture' with these
BD's I'd like to get it and then there might be less poke-and-hope.

Previously I'd only used makeMKV for ripping BDs, perhaps I took
handbrake's claim to be unable to rip protected content at face value?

I tend to use it with AnyDVD HD - that makes all DVD/BD look
unprotected, so you can handbrake from the disc direct rather than
ripping it first.

When I first ran AnyDVD I was confused what it did as it doesn't seem
to have a straight app as such, you have the settings screen and then
you run things from the system-tray icon.

I just played the DVD I burned last night on the Mrs's PC and whilst
it works (video is good, audio is correct and good), it seems the
colours are out with people having purple faces etc? ;-(

I'll try doing what you suggest as that will make the process a bit
quicker.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 09:27:57 +0100, RJH wrote:

On 15/04/2018 13:30, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I bought a BD the other day and I fancied also having it in DVD form.

Is it available on torrents, or nzb etc?

I would have thought so.

If so, maybe just download it?

Whilst I could, I was actually seeing if I could do-it-myself for the
S&G's etc.

I'm not sure if it's legal to do that in your case, mind . . .

If I have seen (and / or recorded) something off the TV or have the
(VHS) video or BD and want to store it on a DVD, I can't see any moral
issues in doing so as I understand the rights are on the content that
I've already seen / have stored already?

Different though from say having it in DVD form and then downloading
the BD version as you would be 'enjoying' a better quality than that
you had already got etc?

Even if you had it on VHS, you can often buy 4 DVD's for a pound in
the charity shops so I'm not sure how much extra revenue the owner
would gain from that?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I tend to use it with AnyDVD HD - that makes all DVD/BD look
unprotected, so you can handbrake from the disc direct rather than
ripping it first.

I'd never used handbrake before, this is on linux, with libaacs and a
keydb.cfg installed, handbrake just ripped direct from the BD drive to a
..mkv file