Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Rippig BD DVD

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 12:10:28 -0700, jkn wrote:

On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 5:16:27 PM UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 15:13:59 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 15/04/18 14:04, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in
English).

You'll have to lose a lot of quality squashing 50GB of BD onto a
4.7GB DVD ...
There is no god but Handbrake on any platform

Re running the BD rip and then opening the main file with the default
W10 media player it allows me to select different audio tracks and it
looks like the 4Ch track No2 is the one I want (English with no
description), but VLC didn't give me those options.

Then going back to Handbrake I tried selecting a different (but same
sized) 'Main title' and that seemed to bring in a different range of
audio tracks so I've selected one that looks a likely suspect and I'm
encoding it now.

I'll find out if it works in ~3 hours. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

you can start watching the output file that Handbrake creates (eg. in
VLC)
as things progress, you don't have to wait until the conversion process
has completed. Just wait until a few 10s of MB are there. That can help
confirm that you are extracting the correct chapter/stream etc.

I do that to check that my Dad's Army episodes are free of the green
vertical line on the RHS of the cropped area that is at its most obvious
when played back in full screen. Cropping neatly gets rid of the BBC DOG
in the LHS pillar boxed area of the 960 by 540 of an sd1 download (or
that of an SD 720 by 576 broadcast) otherwise I wouldn't bother using
Handbrake to crop the mp4 or mpg files in the first place. Indeed, it's
the very presence of the DOG in the left hand side of the picture that
compromises Handbrake's auto-crop feature, requiring that the cropping be
manually applied in these cases.

Likewise with widescreen movies (and the occasional TV programme that
has, pointlessly, been cursed with a widescreen effect) where the DOG is
outside of the active display area. If cropping doesn't completely
eliminate the DOG without encroaching upon the active screen area,
there's little benefit to be gained by cropping.

--
Johnny B Good