Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default Rippig BD DVD

On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 5:16:27 PM UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 15:13:59 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 15/04/18 14:04, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

those of you who rip their stuff to digital storage, how you
typically do so

I've used MakeMKV on linux a couple of times, it does take a bit of
suck-it and see to extract the correct tracks (e.g you might get the
director's cut, or foreign audio instead of the main film in English).

You'll have to lose a lot of quality squashing 50GB of BD onto a 4.7GB
DVD ...

There is no god but Handbrake on any platform

Re running the BD rip and then opening the main file with the default
W10 media player it allows me to select different audio tracks and it
looks like the 4Ch track No2 is the one I want (English with no
description), but VLC didn't give me those options.

Then going back to Handbrake I tried selecting a different (but same
sized) 'Main title' and that seemed to bring in a different range of
audio tracks so I've selected one that looks a likely suspect and I'm
encoding it now.

I'll find out if it works in ~3 hours. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

you can start watching the output file that Handbrake creates (eg. in VLC)
as things progress, you don't have to wait until the conversion process has
completed. Just wait until a few 10s of MB are there. That can help confirm that
you are extracting the correct chapter/stream etc.