Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Let's see how many young ones turn up today.

In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer
Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area.

Last years attendance was appalling.

I accept that turning up is voluntary, but so is the work some people
put in 52 weeks of the year to allow the groups to exist just to babysit
the kids one evening a week.[1]

I am expecting a good result from the Explorers this year.

[1] I'll tell you when I get back about the "new" parent that gave an
evenings help as we needed an extra adult.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer
Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area.

Being part of the parade, and service afterwards, was as good as
compulsory in my day. I don't think it had to be compulsory though - it
was just something people did.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
news
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer
Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area.

Last years attendance was appalling.

I accept that turning up is voluntary, but so is the work some people put
in 52 weeks of the year to allow the groups to exist just to babysit the
kids one evening a week.[1]

I am expecting a good result from the Explorers this year.

Only because you used cattle prods on them last year...

[1] I'll tell you when I get back about the "new" parent that gave an
evenings help as we needed an extra adult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 November 2017 10:41:35 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
I am expecting a good result from the Explorers this year.

Only because you used cattle prods on them last year...

In Adam's case a megger would be more likely.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 November 2017 09:25:16 UTC, ARW wrote:
[1] I'll tell you when I get back about the "new" parent that gave an
evenings help as we needed an extra adult.

Fit, was she?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2017 09:45, Graeme wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer
Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area.

Being part of the parade, and service afterwards, was as good as
compulsory in my day.Â* I don't think it had to be compulsory though - it
was just something people did.

8 out of 12 Beavers attended this year - and I'll make that 9 out of 12
as one said he would not be attending our service because he already
attends a different church every Sunday with his parents.

Better than last year when only one turned up (the flag bearer) along
with one other who was not yet inducted.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:45:52 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message , ARW
writes
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer
Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area.

Being part of the parade, and service afterwards, was as good as
compulsory in my day. I don't think it had to be compulsory though - it
was just something people did.

I used to do it every year as part of the Royal Marine Cadets. WE did
Trfalgar day too (twice, actually travelling from Brighton to Trfalgar
Square).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2017 09:25, ARW wrote:
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer
Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area.

Last years attendance was appalling.

I accept that turning up is voluntary, but so is the work some people
put in 52 weeks of the year to allow the groups to exist just to babysit
the kids one evening a week.[1]

I am expecting a good result from the Explorers this year.

[1] I'll tell you when I get back about the "new" parent that gave an
evenings help as we needed an extra adult.

Most have some desirable evening activity with a sleep-over to
'encourage' attendance!

I suppose sleep-overs are problematic with children and current paranoia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/11/2017 12:59, ARW wrote:

So we now have a fully qualified accountant doing the books for free...

The first thing he asked after checking the books was "Adam, you have
taken £3.70 out of petty cash, bought a kebab with it and put the
receipt for the kebab back into petty cash with a note on the back of it
saying "Love from Adam XXX" Why?"

"Well it took me 2 hours to fix the Scout hut boiler and there is a
kebab shop next to the Scout hut and I was hungry OK?"

How is that different, in principle, from getting your moat fixed as an
MP?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I am expecting a good result from the Explorers this year.

Only because you used cattle prods on them last year...

In Adam's case a megger would be more likely.

Nothing like as convenient to use when rounding
them up or making them take a shower. Tho why
anyone bothers with kids and the last is beyond me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 12:59:05 PM UTC, ARW wrote:
On 12/11/2017 10:52, wrote:
On Sunday, 12 November 2017 09:25:16 UTC, ARW wrote:
[1] I'll tell you when I get back about the "new" parent that gave an
evenings help as we needed an extra adult.

Fit, was she?

Male actually.

Our Beavers have new rules due to the lack of helpers.

"One parent must agree to attend and help out one week out of eight or
their child will not be allowed to join"

Well one Dad came down to help out, but before coming down he emailed
Louise to say that he was only helping out because he was forced to and
was turning up under protest.

He did the one night under protest (dressed like a **** in a suit) but
he enjoyed it, figured out how much work goes into it running the place
and then volunteered for the vacant treasurers job.

So we now have a fully qualified accountant doing the books for free...

The first thing he asked after checking the books was "Adam, you have
taken £3.70 out of petty cash, bought a kebab with it and put the
receipt for the kebab back into petty cash with a note on the back of it
saying "Love from Adam XXX" Why?"

"Well it took me 2 hours to fix the Scout hut boiler and there is a
kebab shop next to the Scout hut and I was hungry OK?"

Bit of a cheek ragging on others for not contributing their time and then robbing the Scouts to finance your lunch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2017 10:52, wrote:
[...]

2 hours free labour and free parts that cost more than £3.70? The
accountant thinks the Scouts got a bargain.

BTW it's not lunch when you start the job at 7pm after a 11 hour shift
at work.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 November 2017 17:58:54 UTC, ARW wrote:
On 13/11/2017 07:47, Halmyre wrote:
On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 12:59:05 PM UTC, ARW wrote:

So we now have a fully qualified accountant doing the books for free....

The first thing he asked after checking the books was "Adam, you have
taken £3.70 out of petty cash, bought a kebab with it and put the
receipt for the kebab back into petty cash with a note on the back of it
saying "Love from Adam XXX" Why?"

"Well it took me 2 hours to fix the Scout hut boiler and there is a
kebab shop next to the Scout hut and I was hungry OK?"

Bit of a cheek ragging on others for not contributing their time and then robbing the Scouts to finance your lunch.

2 hours free labour and free parts that cost more than £3.70? The
accountant thinks the Scouts got a bargain.

BTW it's not lunch when you start the job at 7pm after a 11 hour shift
at work.

If Halmyre thinks working for £1.85 an hour is cheeky, maybe he'd like to come this way. I've got plenty of stuff needs diying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov 2017 12:32:42 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:45:52 +0000, Graeme wrote:

In message , ARW
writes
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer
Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area.

Being part of the parade, and service afterwards, was as good as
compulsory in my day. I don't think it had to be compulsory though - it
was just something people did.

I used to do it every year as part of the Royal Marine Cadets. WE did
Trfalgar day too (twice, actually travelling from Brighton to Trfalgar
Square).

I was (reluctantly, parents idea) in the Cubs then had a few weeks in
the Scouts but found all the inflexibility in what they did (and the
level they did it, potentially at the beginning) very frustrating. The
same happened with our daughter and the Brownies.

The only time I really remember from all my time in either was a camp
at Gilwell Park and sailing on The Broads (that I did with the family
anyway).

However, if you aren't / weren't lucky enough to do stuff with your
family or be fully entertained 24/7 doing your own stuff (as I was), I
can see how it is / was a very good thing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 November 2017 17:58:54 UTC, ARW wrote:
2 hours free labour and free parts that cost more than £3.70? The
accountant thinks the Scouts got a bargain.

But parts are tax-deductable; kebabs aren't.

That and it's unusual to write "love" on expenses chitties.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 19:08:49 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

I was in the Cubs, the Scouts. They were expecting me to leave as soon as
I was old enough for the Royal Marine Cadets...and I did. So did my
brother. Might have had something to do with the facts that my dad ran
the cadets. I had great fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
ARW wrote

2 hours free labour and free parts that cost more than
£3.70? The accountant thinks the Scouts got a bargain.

But parts are tax-deductable; kebabs aren't.

Scouts arent taxed.

That and it's unusual to write "love" on expenses chitties.

Its unusual to chase the worst of the apprentices
around the yard and leave him in tears too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Monday, 13 November 2017 17:58:54 UTC, ARW wrote:
2 hours free labour and free parts that cost more than £3.70? The
accountant thinks the Scouts got a bargain.

But parts are tax-deductable; kebabs aren't.

That and it's unusual to write "love" on expenses chitties.

Owain

If I were the treasurer I might be considering my position re
harassment.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:09:51 +0000, SteveE
wrote:

But parts are tax-deductable; kebabs aren't.

That and it's unusual to write "love" on expenses chitties.

Owain

If I were the treasurer I might be considering my position re
harassment.

If I were the treasurer, I would smile at Adam's note, realising that
the Scouts did get a very good deal and a kebab is not bad in return
for his work!

Perhaps one of the parents could pay for it,
it would then be Donated Kebab.

G. Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Nov 2017 20:09:13 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

I was (reluctantly, parents idea) in the Cubs then had a few weeks in
the Scouts but found all the inflexibility in what they did (and the
level they did it, potentially at the beginning) very frustrating. The
same happened with our daughter and the Brownies.

I was in the Cubs, the Scouts. They were expecting me to leave as soon as
I was old enough for the Royal Marine Cadets...and I did. So did my
brother. Might have had something to do with the facts that my dad ran
the cadets. I had great fun.

Em, well, yes, that might make a difference. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2017 13:52, Fredxxx wrote:
On 12/11/2017 09:25, ARW wrote:
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer
Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area.

Last years attendance was appalling.

I accept that turning up is voluntary, but so is the work some people
put in 52 weeks of the year to allow the groups to exist just to
babysit the kids one evening a week.[1]

I am expecting a good result from the Explorers this year.

[1] I'll tell you when I get back about the "new" parent that gave an
evenings help as we needed an extra adult.

Most have some desirable evening activity with a sleep-over to
'encourage' attendance!

I suppose sleep-overs are problematic with children and current paranoia.

Did you sleep with this woman?

Not a wink, M'Lud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 November 2017 20:29:54 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
But parts are tax-deductable; kebabs aren't.

Scouts arent taxed.

Adam is though, so reimbursement of kebab would usually be taxed at source.

Might depend on whether it was chilli source or garlic source though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But parts are tax-deductable; kebabs aren't.

Scouts arent taxed.

Adam is though, so reimbursement of
kebab would usually be taxed at source.

Not when volunteering or participating in hobby activity.

Or when being rewarded for doing something useful for a mate either.

Might depend on whether it was chilli source or garlic source though.

Nope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/11/2017 19:14, ARW wrote:

Although at the end of the day it's a small Scout hut

A scout hut that changes size at different times of day?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2017 19:14, ARW wrote:
On 13/11/2017 20:28, Robin wrote:
On 13/11/2017 19:14, wrote:
On Monday, 13 November 2017 17:58:54 UTC, ARWÂ* wrote:
2 hours free labour and free parts that cost more than £3.70? The
accountant thinks the Scouts got a bargain.

But parts are tax-deductable; kebabs aren't.

Why would a Scout group be taxable?

One to ask the treasurer.

Sorry, I meant it to be a rhetorical question. I never heard of any bit
of the scouts that wasn't a charity (save possibly some of the regional
bodies).

Can they claim tax relief on anything if at
all if I was to actually hand in the receipts for the parts I have paid
for?

Not in the usual sense.

But for completeness you could ask if they bother with gift aid. If
they do, rather than spend £10 on parts you could (for tax purposes);
give them £10 and gift aid it; then they give you £10 to buy the parts;
and they claim gift aid on the £10 gift which means HMRC give them
£2.50. Unless they have changed the legislation it's even all legal if
they authorise you to buy parts for the scout hut as their agent and
that's the basis on which you do so.

But gift aid is a bit of a pain in terms of getting people to declare
they are taxpayers and keeping records so not worth it if all it yields
is the price of an occasional kebab.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 19:18:10 UTC, GB wrote:
Although at the end of the day it's a small Scout hut

A scout hut that changes size at different times of day?

Perhaps the girl guides took the joists to use for stretcher bearers in their first aid class?

(To the Manor Born)

Owain