Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default OT Let's see how many young ones turn up today.

On 14/11/2017 19:14, ARW wrote:
On 13/11/2017 20:28, Robin wrote:
On 13/11/2017 19:14, wrote:
On Monday, 13 November 2017 17:58:54 UTC, ARWÂ* wrote:
2 hours free labour and free parts that cost more than £3.70? The
accountant thinks the Scouts got a bargain.

But parts are tax-deductable; kebabs aren't.

Why would a Scout group be taxable?

One to ask the treasurer.

Sorry, I meant it to be a rhetorical question. I never heard of any bit
of the scouts that wasn't a charity (save possibly some of the regional
bodies).

Can they claim tax relief on anything if at
all if I was to actually hand in the receipts for the parts I have paid
for?

Not in the usual sense.

But for completeness you could ask if they bother with gift aid. If
they do, rather than spend £10 on parts you could (for tax purposes);
give them £10 and gift aid it; then they give you £10 to buy the parts;
and they claim gift aid on the £10 gift which means HMRC give them
£2.50. Unless they have changed the legislation it's even all legal if
they authorise you to buy parts for the scout hut as their agent and
that's the basis on which you do so.

But gift aid is a bit of a pain in terms of getting people to declare
they are taxpayers and keeping records so not worth it if all it yields
is the price of an occasional kebab.

--
Robin