Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Unisaws...Are the Old Ones "Better" than the New Ones?

Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would lean toward older - 8 to 10 years old or older. I started the
search for a Unisaw about 5 years ago pretty much predisposed to Unisaw. My
expectatioins were based on Unisaws I used in a friends shop and in a
college-level cabinet class. I found out they had changed. They have
changed more during the past couple of years. I ended up not buying one
because they seemed overpriced.

Just an example: Check out the hand-crank locks on older vs newer. Also
table finish seems better on older saws. While it might be possible, I was
having trouble pricing just a saw because I didn't have room for extended
rails and side table. The side tables seem flimsy. The fences are still
good but you can get good fences, or aftermarket fences for other machines.

RonB

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT

IMHO the old ones are better. Again IMHO nothing since 1999 is better.
There have numerous reports including me witnessing a Unisaw delivered new
with broken trunions. This problem was an incorrect torqueing procedure at
the factory according to Delta. This went on for several years before Delta
quit blaming the shipping company and admitted responsibility.
When I was in the market 6 or 7 years ago I compared Jet directly to Delta
side by side. I bought the Jet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 15:15:56 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
roups.com...
Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT

This problem was an incorrect torqueing procedure at
the factory according to Delta.

Absolutley not true and I don't know why you keep posting this
garbage, every time the subject comes up. Please tell me who
"according to Delta". It might add credibility to your claim.

This went on for several years before Delta
quit blaming the shipping company and admitted responsibility.

Absolutely not true. Broken trunnions the result of a specific knock
down by either the shipping companies (multiple, Delta used many), or
in some cases I'm sure, a tip over in the distribution center after it
was moved from Memphis to Jackson, TN. I watched many trunions
broken as we tried to purposely break them by trying every type of
drop and tipover possible.

When I was in the market 6 or 7 years ago I compared Jet directly to Delta
side by side. I bought the Jet.

If you preferred the Jet saw that is fine. That's why there are
choices. But don't post lies about the other choices.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
oups.com:

Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity
to buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay
for them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT

What you're asking, _may be_ the wrong question.

Sure, a well-kept, older saw _may be_ a 'better' saw, if you can find
one, at a reasonable price, in a reasonable location, in a reasonable
time frame, for your needs.

But how much time are you going to spend in the search? And is the
search part of the fun of your hobby? For some folks it is, and that's
just fine. It wasn't for me, so I slid some plastic across the counter
at a local dealer 4 or 5 years ago, and they put a new saw in my truck,
after checking to see that it had arrived in a happy condition.

And I've been happy with it since then.

Are there better saws out there? Yes, I saw a really nice Altendorf
last weekend, and almost every Powermatic I've seen looks pretty sweet.
A few of the older Unisaws are pretty rough, but most look like they
still do the job, after a hard life.

Were I buying today, the saw I'd buy would most likely be something
other than a Unisaw, though. Current uproar in the company has made for
a lot of uncertainty. Probably a Powermatic, or one of the Canadian
Generals...

But still new. I'm like that. YMMV.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools"
Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.
Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?
Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

IMHO - Either one. My fathers Unisaw is an older and mine is newer. They
both work great.
I would buy the one that checks out the best.
Look for broken or chipped corners. This may indicate it was dropped.
Take a 24" straight edge and check the table for flatness.
Run each and listen for bearing noise.
Run the trunion from stop to stop (up and down and tilt) and feel for
backlash and effort.
Take a dial indicator and check for arbor runout. (Use a new or known flat
blade.)
Finally check the motor for heat generation and noise, listen carefully at
startup and feel for full speed vibration.

If none of the above is possible, buy the one taht makes you feel good.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Absolutley not true and I don't know why you keep posting this
garbage, every time the subject comes up. Please tell me who
"according to Delta". It might add credibility to your claim.

IIRC Charles Self reported this. And yes it is true. Call Delta for you
self.

This went on for several years before Delta
quit blaming the shipping company and admitted responsibility.

Absolutely not true. Broken trunnions the result of a specific knock
down by either the shipping companies (multiple, Delta used many), or
in some cases I'm sure, a tip over in the distribution center after it
was moved from Memphis to Jackson, TN. I watched many trunions
broken as we tried to purposely break them by trying every type of
drop and tipover possible.

No other company had the problems with broken trunions like Delta did. Jet
did not have problems, nor Powermatic, nor Grizzley, Craftsman.
Common sense points to Delta having the problem unless you believe that the
shipping companys had it out for Delta and tried to only damage their units.
For that matter it was often reported that Grizzley TS's arrived upside down
with no truniopn damage.
If a particular brand cannot survive the shipping while the competition
does, I DONT WANT IT.

When I was in the market 6 or 7 years ago I compared Jet directly to Delta
side by side. I bought the Jet.

If you preferred the Jet saw that is fine. That's why there are
choices. But don't post lies about the other choices.

The Delta had a broken trunion also. I did not prefer Jet prior to seeing
that some Unisaws were incapable of bein gshipped withoput damage. I was
personally contacted by Delta regarding a Unisaw with a broken trunion
setting at a local dealer. He claimed shipping also. Well Yes it was
shipping, the same shipping that delivers all the other brands.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:52:28 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .

Absolutley not true and I don't know why you keep posting this
garbage, every time the subject comes up. Please tell me who
"according to Delta". It might add credibility to your claim.

IIRC Charles Self reported this. And yes it is true. Call Delta for you
self.

Call Delta? Call who in Delta? I ran the factory that you are
accusing of a bad torque parctice and are posting on this site that
Delta told you that. Who in Delta told you that? If there was a
problem with the torque practice or specification, I would have been
the one to report it as I did many other problems that occurred during
my tenure.

This went on for several years before Delta
quit blaming the shipping company and admitted responsibility.

Product was ISTA transit tested. Do you know what that means? It
means it has to pass a series of tests that simulate extreme but
normal handling in shipping. Tests like inclined ramp, straight drop,
and truck vibration tests. Pack passed without incident.

There is no doubt trunions were broken. It came from tipovers onto
the front edge of the table sliding off forks. That is not normal
handling. And neither you nor I have any meaningful statistics on the
other the competitors saws shipping damage rates.

And it is Delta's responsibility to the customer, regardless of the
bad handling practices by the shipper, and every customer who was
affected was made whole or offered the opportunity to be made whole.

Your purchase choice is your choice, but I resent you continuing to
post, as you have for years, that the "factory" was not properly
torquing the units and that was causing broken trunnions. It is not
true and it is an insult to the many fine people who built those
machines.

Frank

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
news

Call Delta? Call who in Delta? I ran the factory that you are
accusing of a bad torque parctice and are posting on this site that
Delta told you that. Who in Delta told you that? If there was a
problem with the torque practice or specification, I would have been
the one to report it as I did many other problems that occurred during
my tenure.

If you ran the factory then this should not be news to you unless you ran
the factory before the problems started or simply went with an internal
degree of defect acceptability.
I have absolutely no reason to fabricate this information and no reason to
do ill will towards Delta.

This went on for several years before Delta
quit blaming the shipping company and admitted responsibility.

Product was ISTA transit tested. Do you know what that means? It
means it has to pass a series of tests that simulate extreme but
normal handling in shipping. Tests like inclined ramp, straight drop,
and truck vibration tests. Pack passed without incident.

I do not know what it means and from a consumers point of view it means
squat. Delta has and or had a trunion breakage problem while others did
not. Call it what you want.
Perhaps the Deltas just cannot take the abuse that its competition can.
Perhaps that is why more and more Delta tools are being built outside the
US. If the tool cannot make it to market with out a particular damage
perhaps it is a package problem also. That is what I suspected until I read
that it was a manufacturing problem. In the beginning I was giving Delta
the benefit of reasonable doubt.

And again I am not saying that Delta is a bad product. I have worked on a
Delta Unisaw and it is top notch but the fact remains that the Unisaws in
the last 10 or so years have not had as good of a track record getting to
the stores and customers undamaged.

There is no doubt trunions were broken. It came from tipovers onto
the front edge of the table sliding off forks. That is not normal
handling. And neither you nor I have any meaningful statistics on the
other the competitors saws shipping damage rates.

Meaningful information to me is reading about complaints. I have heard of
no trunion problems from other manufacturers. The fact that you are
admiting that there were no doubts of broken trunions says something. Can
you bring up instances where another manufacturer have had this particular
inherent problem?
And, why did this become a problem in the last 10 years or so, did the
shipping company just decide to pick on Delta?

And it is Delta's responsibility to the customer, regardless of the
bad handling practices by the shipper, and every customer who was
affected was made whole or offered the opportunity to be made whole.

No doubt as any other manufacturer will, however 6 years ago when I looked
at a Delta on the show room floor with a broken trunion the salesman
indicated that the saw had been like that for months. Was Delta not
interested in making the repair in a timely mannor or did Delta simply not
have enough spare trunions to go around?

Your purchase choice is your choice, but I resent you continuing to
post, as you have for years, that the "factory" was not properly
torquing the units and that was causing broken trunnions. It is not
true and it is an insult to the many fine people who built those
machines.

Resent it all you want but until a change is or was made in the manfacturing
process the problem continued. If the factory ignored the obvious, read
that as the company with broken trunion problems, then perhaps an insult is
in order if that is the way want to read that. If it smells like a fish,
looks like a fish, or tastes like a fish, it must be a f....
You might as well also focus your looking the other way on others here as
many have witnessed a decline in the quality of Delta equipment and that was
going on before loosing the prevlidge of building Delta machinery to Tiawan.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:09:20 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

More garbage. First you say" Delta" admitted to a "torque process or
specification problem" after blaming the shippers for many years. OK
who in Delta admitted it? You mention Charlie Self? When did he work
for Delta at the factory. Then you say you read it somewhere. Where?
On this unmoderated usenet news group?

That is my only beef. What you say is just not true. Trunnions broke,
but not from a torque process or spec problem.

You posted several years ago and several times in between. the last
time I respectfully protested and posted the truth. But for some
reason you keep reposting this erroneous information. I can't imagine
why.

Frank

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the responses so far....

I am considering a couple of Unisaw with the cast iron dust cover on
the side and with the smaller motors...any opinions on these?

TMT

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT

The mechanical working of the saw hasn't changed much if all since it
was first manufactured in 1939ish.

The older saws have heavier cabinets and cast iron bases.

The older saws have 1750 motors. Newer are about 2x that. Fewer
revolutions means less wear & tear on the motor.

The older saws are cheaper, but used. The good news is that cast iron
& steel clean up pretty well.

A biesemeyer fence is $300 and fits both.

I think the older are a better deal. But like a few have said, it
takes some time to find a decent one and some work to get it all nice &
shiney

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Thanks for the responses so far....

I am considering a couple of Unisaw with the cast iron dust cover on
the side and with the smaller motors...any opinions on these?

TMT

That goose egg motor cover is tough to find. Seen them, just the
cover, going for between $200 and $300 on ebay. Not sure what you mean
by "smaller motor," but if it is the 1 HP IR "bullet style" motor,
power shouldn't be an issue unless you're going to put it in a heavy
use commercial environment. That motor is a heck of a lot more
powerful than a 1 HP motor you would find on a newer saw.

If the rest of the saw is in good shape, and the price is right, I
would go for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the response...

Has anyone compared the old versus new Unisaws side by side?

I did that once with the Rockwell 14" bandsaw and there were
differences in the table webs, trunions and guides.

Also with the older Unisaw motors, are they adequate?

Thanks

TMT

A.M. Wood wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7 Sep 2006 05:39:49 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Also with the older Unisaw motors, are they adequate?

I have a 1948 model which is quite adequate, the motor is the
original, the bearings for the arbor have been replaced about 1968.
New belts this summer. Newer model tablesaws do have an advantage of
being setup for dust collection by an external system.

Mind you I did not buy this saw having recieved it from my father.

With older Unisaws the question is how well has it been maintained.
That would be my determining factor as to price.

But if buying new, buying one direct from a dealer who will set it up
and can roll it out of they're own stock has great advantage no matter
the make.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote in
:

snip

Your purchase choice is your choice, but I resent you continuing to
post, as you have for years, that the "factory" was not properly
torquing the units and that was causing broken trunnions. It is not
true and it is an insult to the many fine people who built those
machines.

snip

geez - "Lighten up Francis"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Frank is just like everyone else who wants to put out a product or
service they can be proud of. Some corporations simply make that
impossible for the guy in the trenches.

Frank did 'em one better in the trenches ... IIRC, he is an MBA also.

But that's OK, we can forgive him that one lapse.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

As an employee of a large, MBA-run, bureaucratic company, I might have
an idea of what he's been through.

Frank is just like everyone else who wants to put out a product or
service they can be proud of. Some corporations simply make that
impossible for the guy in the trenches.

I has one o dem MBA's an ah kin tell ya that unless peoples be will ta
pay fur dem products & services dat dem workers is bein prowd of deer
ain't a gonna be no monies to be able to pay da workers wages.

But don't believe me.

Stop in your local wal-mart and watch the stupid masses going ape over
the cheap stuff, all the while saving themselves right out of jobs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:51:39 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Frank is just like everyone else who wants to put out a product or
service they can be proud of. Some corporations simply make that
impossible for the guy in the trenches.

For many years they (corporate) left us alone and it was possible to
put out a good product that was respected and sold well. Then they
decided to "get involved" and you know the rest of the story.

Frank did 'em one better in the trenches ... IIRC, he is an MBA also.

True, but I also have a few years working on the shop floor by the
hour. I consider that to be at least equal if not of greater
importance than the MBA in educational value.

A close friend, who is also an HR recruiter, once told me I should
take that hourly experience off my resume as prospective employers
would consider it irrelevant. I explained to him that if they
considered it irrelevant, I didn't want to work for them.

But that's OK, we can forgive him that one lapse.

This from a guy who does his roux in the microwave.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

So putting our MBA hats on, is it better to buy a newer or older
Unisaw?

TMT

Isn't is a serious violation of usenet tradition to attempt to redirect
a thread back to the original point? :-)

PDX David
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah but I like to live dangerously. ;)

Considering that there are many more "older" Unisaws than new ones, I
would think that this would be a discussion that would interest many on
this group.

How about some more contributions folks?

TMT

Jane & David wrote:
In article .com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

So putting our MBA hats on, is it better to buy a newer or older
Unisaw?

TMT

Isn't is a serious violation of usenet tradition to attempt to redirect
a thread back to the original point? :-)

PDX David

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
oups.com:

Yeah but I like to live dangerously. ;)

Considering that there are many more "older" Unisaws than new ones, I
would think that this would be a discussion that would interest many on
this group.

How about some more contributions folks?

TMT

If you can buy an older, clean Unisaw, and save several bucks, why would
you not?

Assuming you need one, of course.

As someone else said, the tool hasn't changed substantially over the
decades, except to get easier to manufacture, deliver and sell to a fairly
static price point. Except for the left tilt option, there have been few
substantial changes. And some would argue whether that was substantial.

Go buy your saw, and make something memorable!

Patriarch,
MBA & woodworker, too
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

This from a guy who does his roux in the microwave.

LOL ... MBA 101: Effective use of technology.

Any time you're down this way let me know you're coming and you can make up
your own mind about the end result of that particular "effective use of
technology".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

True...in fact I would pose the question..."Why buy a new Unisaw when
there are used ones available?"

TMT

Patriarch wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
oups.com:

Yeah but I like to live dangerously. ;)

Considering that there are many more "older" Unisaws than new ones, I
would think that this would be a discussion that would interest many on
this group.

How about some more contributions folks?

TMT

If you can buy an older, clean Unisaw, and save several bucks, why would
you not?

Assuming you need one, of course.

As someone else said, the tool hasn't changed substantially over the
decades, except to get easier to manufacture, deliver and sell to a fairly
static price point. Except for the left tilt option, there have been few
substantial changes. And some would argue whether that was substantial.

Go buy your saw, and make something memorable!

Patriarch,
MBA & woodworker, too

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
oups.com:

True...in fact I would pose the question..."Why buy a new Unisaw when
there are used ones available?"

TMT

I talked to that point when I answered this to begin with.

For some folks, the costs, and risks, of buying used are not equal.

IF there were a low risk, reasonable cost source of used gear, then many
more folks would use it. Not every one is retired, with lots of tire-
kicking time, and unlimited resources to use, in order to buy experienced
gear. And some, many, live in old tool hell, or so they like to imagine.

The ability to buy a solid, clean, new tool, from a trusted dealer, at a
fair price, is an option that many, including me, have taken. It's easier.
quicker, and, from a time perspective, cheaper by far.

But life differs for everyone. That's why there are so many choices out
there.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
So putting our MBA hats on, is it better to buy a newer or older
Unisaw?

I bought a General 650. G

"BETTER" TOY BOX J T Woodworking 0 December 28th 05 05:21 PM
Refurbished Unisaws Greg G. Woodworking 62 November 12th 05 06:38 AM
Some of the other deals on unisaws I saw wayne mak Woodworking 4 November 2nd 05 01:10 PM