Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB RonB is offline

Default Unisaws...Are the Old Ones "Better" than the New Ones?

I would lean toward older - 8 to 10 years old or older. I started the
search for a Unisaw about 5 years ago pretty much predisposed to Unisaw. My
expectatioins were based on Unisaws I used in a friends shop and in a
college-level cabinet class. I found out they had changed. They have
changed more during the past couple of years. I ended up not buying one
because they seemed overpriced.

Just an example: Check out the hand-crank locks on older vs newer. Also
table finish seems better on older saws. While it might be possible, I was
having trouble pricing just a saw because I didn't have room for extended
rails and side table. The side tables seem flimsy. The fences are still
good but you can get good fences, or aftermarket fences for other machines.

RonB

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Over the years I have seen a number of Unisaws...both old and new.

I have also heard a number of owners tell me why their saw was better
than the other.

Now I have the possibility to buy an Unisaw and have the opportunity to
buy either a newer or older saw locally...so now it's time to sort
through the truth from the hype.

Which would you choose...older or newer, why and what would you pay for
them?

Finally if you were checking out an used Unisaw, what would you check?

Thanks

TMT