Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On 22/10/17 02:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to alan_m, Iggy wrote:
Yep, it's shame. CFL's started out at 20,000-hours and LED's boasted
100,000-hours. But, Planned Obsolescence wasn't enough, now Forced
Obsolescence starts to take over and even remove choice and value.

I have found LEDS to be far better lifetime wise.

AS I replace every CFL

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/17 10:16, alan_m wrote:
On 22/10/2017 01:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

It was my higher power CFL that went bang, with smoke.

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

Getting rid of the heat may be the killer for LED bulbs in a small
package that's why its worth considering changing the light fitting to
something like a round panel light which commonly come in 12W, 18W or
24W varieties. The LEDs in these are the flexible LED strips but
attached directly to the body of the light fitting to act as a heat sink.

Most certainly true of G9 bulbs, which are much dimmer than the halogens
they replace. The fittings for G9s are usually pretty small, and heat
build-up is a real problem.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

It's interesting to use one in a common situation - say a central pendant
fitting in a white or light coloured room, and compare the ambient light
between them. My guess is they have a very special tungsten 100w they used
for comparison.

I have found that these:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-filamen...hape-bulb.html

Seem to compare well to a 60W GLS - similar pattern of light production,
colour temperature, and brightness. CRI is not far off.

Note tried this, but:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-filamen...00k-clear.html

Claims 1440 lumens which is in the ball park for a 100W (perhaps closer
to a 90W)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer, cheaper
to run.

Ive have on that doesn't. It has a short delay.

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I converted all of my regularly used/regularly on lights, over to LED 12
months ago - not a single failure so far. They vary from 3w to 9w. Just
to be clear, I did only swap out the ones which we use often - I didn't
do centre lights and some were 22w CFL's.

There are no reasons why LEDS have to emit RF or flicker or have an
annoying spectrum. It is child's play to use a series cap to limit
current, and put a diode and reservoir to feed them off DC and
eliminate ripple. Even their beam patterns are not a part of 'being an
LED' but down to reflector design,.

The trouble is that they are sold as low-power replacements for halogen
bulbs, to be used in the same fitting. Halogens have a pretty-much 360
degree beam, and it doesn't matter too much how the reflector is
designed. But put an LED in the same reflector, and you usually have a
problem.

Replacing the lamp fitting with a reflector designed for LEDs will work,
but will affect the cost-saving when using LEDs instead of halogens for
some time.

In other words none of the drawbacks mentioned by people here are
intrinsic to LEDS, but just to specific (badly?) designed examples.

But they are intrinsic to LEDs because they have a narrow beam. If LED
bulbs can be manufactured in a "corn cob" design, surely it can't be so
difficult to come up with a spherical design to improve beam coverage.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote on 22/10/2017 :
Obvioulsly myself I hardly use lights these days, but as long as you get the
right colour temp for what you need then I think LEDs are more efficient, and
come on faster.

Well, actually they come on at full bright instantly. That alone saves
current, because I feel more inclined to turn them off, knowing there
will be no delay when I switch them back on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote on 21/10/2017 :
LED bulbs are very fussy about the ventilation of the light fitting (the
cylindrical shank of the bulb). The light-emitting part of an LED bulb barely
gets warm but even a 7W one gets almost too hot to touch close to the
fitting.

I swapped some 100w 100mm ES floods for 9w LED's in the kitchen, backed
up with a hidden 6' fluorescent for additional light as needed. Those
9w wide angle flood lamps barely get warm when on and have been in use
for 12 months now. I would get concerned about the life of any LED
getting near to too hot to touch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 22/10/2017, Jeff Layman supposed :
The trouble is that they are sold as low-power replacements for halogen
bulbs, to be used in the same fitting. Halogens have a pretty-much 360 degree
beam, and it doesn't matter too much how the reflector is designed. But put
an LED in the same reflector, and you usually have a problem.

You can specify 'corn-cob' LED, which has light output around the
entire lamp, except the base.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

'corn-cob' LED, which has light output around the
entire lamp, except the base.

That's the only type where I've had the actual LEDs die rather than the
power supply, you could hear them 'pinging' as they cooled down after
use, so guess they were driven stupidly hard with poor cooling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 09:35:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

It's interesting to use one in a common situation - say a central pendant
fitting in a white or light coloured room, and compare the ambient light
between them. My guess is they have a very special tungsten 100w they used
for comparison.

I've heard that the claimed lumen output from LED bulbs is often
overstated.

Apparently there is an acceptable tolerance in stated lumens to
account for the variation inherent in tungsten bulb manufacture. But
LED bulbs can be manufactured to a more precise light output, so
manufacturers can claim a higher lumen value while ensuring that the
bulbs will fall within the acceptable range.

I've also heard that some claims used to be based on the output from
the LED chip rather than the entire bulb. I'm not sure if this still
goes on, or whether it's been banned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer,
cheaper to run.

Ive have on that doesn't. It has a short delay.

That must have a fancy driver, presume a higher power one?

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I converted all of my regularly used/regularly on lights, over to LED
12 months ago - not a single failure so far. They vary from 3w to 9w.
Just to be clear, I did only swap out the ones which we use often - I
didn't do centre lights and some were 22w CFL's.

There are no reasons why LEDS have to emit RF or flicker or have an
annoying spectrum. It is child's play to use a series cap to limit
current, and put aÂ* diode and reservoir to feed them off DC and
eliminate ripple. EvenÂ* their beam patterns are not a part of 'being an
LED' but down to reflector design,.

As you say a cheap design has little in it, the only source of noise
ought to be the diodes turning off. The old technique to reduce this was
to use small caps across each diode.

In other words none of the drawbacks mentioned by people here are
intrinsic to LEDS, but just to specific (badly?) designed examples.

LEDs are inherently unidirectional, unlike incandescent and fluorescent
that emit in a omnidirectional pattern. Anything light spreading
technique is going to reduce LED performance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 18:49, Me wrote:
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Thank you.

No cons.

LEDS are in every way superior to CFLs.

Not 'every way', there are instances where temperature is an issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 22/10/2017, Caecilius supposed :
I've also heard that some claims used to be based on the output from
the LED chip rather than the entire bulb. I'm not sure if this still
goes on, or whether it's been banned.

Those I have bought, seem well up to spec.. I have got away with using
several 3.5w LED's in places where not a lot of light is normally
needed - such as hall, landing, wall lights, bathroom, toilet and
bedside lights. Useless for reading, but then I have other lights for
that - fine for seeing what you generally need to see.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns has brought this to us :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

'corn-cob' LED, which has light output around the
entire lamp, except the base.

That's the only type where I've had the actual LEDs die rather than the power
supply, you could hear them 'pinging' as they cooled down after use, so guess
they were driven stupidly hard with poor cooling.

I only have one such lamp, that in one of those Georgian style outside
lights, providing some light in my drive. That was installed 12 months
ago, in a new fitting and is powered by an ancient Sangamo mechanical
solar clock. It comes on at dusk, goes off at around midnight. None of
the LED's in the lamp have failed so far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote on 22/10/2017 :
I have found LEDS to be far better lifetime wise.

Me too, I have had not one single failure ever and that includes some
car lamps (x6) plus the LED's it came from the factory with, caravan
quartz reflector lamps replaced with LED (x12), various ones around the
house (x20) and numerous basic indicator/warning lamps too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 22/10/2017, Martin Brown supposed :
If you can live with the light quality that CFLs provide then phase them out
as they fail by replacing with new LED. No point in junking a working lamp
you may as well wait until it fails.

I took a different route. Over a period of just a few weeks last year,
I replaced all of the regularly in use filament and CFL's with LED's.
Doing that made a very noticeable difference to my energy consumption.
The lamps I took out, were put in store as spares for the less used
lighting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 21/10/17 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

[...]

or just made down to a price?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Light wise, LEDs are now very good - better than CFLs *and* tungsten.

Bit of a broad statement, that. LEDs still don't have the continuous
spectrum output you get from halogen - and may never have. But they are
certainty better than only a couple of years ago,

I bought some LED SES candle bulbs, to replace halogens which have a
comparatively short life. 4w LEDs are a little brighter than the 35w
halogen and a very similar colour temperature (as far as I can see)

For just general purpose lighting they do seem now to be a lot better. But
not sure they're up to being used for everything halogen does well. And
still expensive if you want one which really does give an equivalent light
output to the common halogen sizes.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
It's interesting to use one in a common situation - say a central
pendant fitting in a white or light coloured room, and compare the
ambient light between them. My guess is they have a very special
tungsten 100w they used for comparison.

I have found that these:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-filamen...hape-bulb.html

Seem to compare well to a 60W GLS - similar pattern of light production,
colour temperature, and brightness. CRI is not far off.

Note tried this, but:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-filamen...00k-clear.html

Claims 1440 lumens which is in the ball park for a 100W (perhaps closer
to a 90W)

This is really the point. It's a long time since most would have been
happy with a single 60w tungsten lighting a room. 100w far more likely. So
would be nice to have a true like for like replacement.

--
*CAN AN ATHEIST GET INSURANCE AGAINST ACTS OF GOD?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 01:28:42 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/10/2017 22:17, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 21:11:54 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 21/10/17 19:21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2017 19:14, tim... wrote:

[snip]

I avoid the junk that the shops sell - too much chinese cheap unbranded
crap. The ones that have worked well for me are Philips and LEDHut
(which are sort of "semi unbranded" but LEDHut seem to manage to pick
fairly decent stuff to resell)

Not my experience, albeit with a niche product. I bought MR16 (12
Volt) spotlights and the radio frequency interference was so bad it
obliterated DAB reception in my kitchen. I returned them, they denied
receipt, I scanned and emailed the proof of delivery, they said the
person who signed was not an employee and the words delivered from
named sorting office meant the package was still at the sorting
office. Eventually they conceded the package was in their office
after all.

I have bought quite a few from LEDHut, and found them to be pretty good.
I have had a couple of early lamp failures. In each occasion, I have
emailed them and they sent a replacement FOC without quibbling, or even
requesting the dud ones back.

Just as well if they can't cope with the returns process.

I found the filament style 60W equiv lamps
to be very good a true match for light output and a pretty good CRI.

Is it the case that almost all LED bulbs now are warm white? This may
be the preferred choice for many applications but not IMO for
kitchens, bathrooms or where there are coloured shades or uplights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote:
Says you. But, an "Indicator LED" is all the early bulbs were a collection of
and the claims were there. "Magically", they steadily decreased to exactly
where the manufacturers needed them for constant profits. An LED is an LED and
they don't go bad in such a short period, but the A-holes of the world make
sure the electronics do.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1244535-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Natural Philosopher, Iggy wrote:
Not me, so far. I only know 1 person whose even had any collection of LED's
long enough to tell and they already replaced them all in just 5-years (now
8-years ago). The few of my CFL's that went in at the same time and are used
for the same hours per day as theirs are still going strong and aren't even
all the same brand. The LED's never paid for themselves, but CFL's did after
just 1-year.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1244535-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 22/10/2017, Jeff Layman supposed :
The trouble is that they are sold as low-power replacements for
halogen bulbs, to be used in the same fitting. Halogens have a
pretty-much 360 degree beam, and it doesn't matter too much how the
reflector is designed. But put an LED in the same reflector, and you
usually have a problem.

You can specify 'corn-cob' LED, which has light output around the
entire lamp, except the base.

These seem to be less efficient than single LED units.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 14:58, Scott wrote:

Is it the case that almost all LED bulbs now are warm white?

No, a lot of suppliers have the same design in warm or cool/daylight.

More specialised adjustable tri-colour bulbs are commonly available as
are remote controlled bulbs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:
Light wise, LEDs are now very good - better than CFLs *and*
tungsten.

Bit of a broad statement, that. LEDs still don't have the continuous
spectrum output you get from halogen - and may never have. But they
are certainty better than only a couple of years ago,

I bought some LED SES candle bulbs, to replace halogens which have a
comparatively short life. 4w LEDs are a little brighter than the 35w
halogen and a very similar colour temperature (as far as I can see)

For just general purpose lighting they do seem now to be a lot better.
But not sure they're up to being used for everything halogen does well.
And still expensive if you want one which really does give an equivalent
light output to the common halogen sizes.

I haven't bought one, but CPC are selling 100w LED floods.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 15:14, Iggy wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, Iggy wrote:
Not me, so far. I only know 1 person whose even had any collection of LED's
long enough to tell and they already replaced them all in just 5-years (now
8-years ago). The few of my CFL's that went in at the same time and are
used
for the same hours per day as theirs are still going strong and aren't even
all the same brand. The LED's never paid for themselves, but CFL's did
after
just 1-year.

homeownershub is is the devils spunk.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:26:31 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 22/10/2017 14:58, Scott wrote:

Is it the case that almost all LED bulbs now are warm white?

No, a lot of suppliers have the same design in warm or cool/daylight.

What about retail suppliers? It seems to me the ones in Morrisons,
Sainsbury's, John Lewis, Currys and Maplin are all warm white.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:16:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 22/10/2017, Jeff Layman supposed :
The trouble is that they are sold as low-power replacements for
halogen bulbs, to be used in the same fitting. Halogens have a
pretty-much 360 degree beam, and it doesn't matter too much how the
reflector is designed. But put an LED in the same reflector, and you
usually have a problem.

You can specify 'corn-cob' LED, which has light output around the
entire lamp, except the base.

These seem to be less efficient than single LED units.

I think that's because the corn cob lamps use SMB chips, which are not
as efficient as the COB chips used in single LED units.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius formulated on Sunday :
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:16:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 22/10/2017, Jeff Layman supposed :
The trouble is that they are sold as low-power replacements for
halogen bulbs, to be used in the same fitting. Halogens have a
pretty-much 360 degree beam, and it doesn't matter too much how the
reflector is designed. But put an LED in the same reflector, and you
usually have a problem.

You can specify 'corn-cob' LED, which has light output around the
entire lamp, except the base.

These seem to be less efficient than single LED units.

I think that's because the corn cob lamps use SMB chips, which are not
as efficient as the COB chips used in single LED units.

My experience of one unit, does not support that. I replaced a 36w
double D light fitting with a new fitting installing in it, the cob LED
I mentioned earlier. It produces a much better light in the area. The
one issue is that being a much smaller light source, it tends to dazzle
a bit. It has already outlived the operating time I would expect of the
double D tube, where it would begin to dim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 15:14, Iggy wrote:

The LED's never paid for themselves, but CFL's did
after
just 1-year.

Not if you include the extra green stealth tax on your utility bills
used to discount those CFL's in retail outlets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 15:14, Iggy wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, Iggy wrote:
Not me, so far. I only know 1 person whose even had any collection of LED's
long enough to tell and they already replaced them all in just 5-years (now
8-years ago). The few of my CFL's that went in at the same time and are
used
for the same hours per day as theirs are still going strong and aren't even
all the same brand. The LED's never paid for themselves, but CFL's did
after
just 1-year.

If you want to receive more replies here then please quote some context.

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
It's interesting to use one in a common situation - say a central
pendant fitting in a white or light coloured room, and compare the
ambient light between them. My guess is they have a very special
tungsten 100w they used for comparison.

I have found that these:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-filamen...hape-bulb.html

Seem to compare well to a 60W GLS - similar pattern of light production,
colour temperature, and brightness. CRI is not far off.

Note tried this, but:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-filamen...00k-clear.html

Claims 1440 lumens which is in the ball park for a 100W (perhaps closer
to a 90W)

This is really the point. It's a long time since most would have been
happy with a single 60w tungsten lighting a room. 100w far more
likely. So would be nice to have a true like for like replacement.

But its far from clear how many still have many
rooms with just a single bulb lighting it now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2017 19:14, tim... wrote:

[...]

They are certainly much more common in places like aldi.

I don't care for them at all myself.

This may be the preferred choice for many applications but not IMO for
kitchens, bathrooms or where there are coloured shades or uplights.

I don't like them for anywhere much myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 16:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Caecilius formulated on Sunday :
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:16:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
* Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I've come to the conclusion it is a matter of 'perception'. We've found
LEDs pretty well hopeless in a domestic setting- nothing like the
claimed 'equivalence' to ordinary bulbs. Conversely, a friend swears by
them- although his sitting room (for example) has a huge number of LED
lights inserted in the ceiling (at least 20) whereas we have one central
light in a similar sized room.

We do use them in our motorhome but we accept a lower level of light there.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 16:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Caecilius formulated on Sunday :
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:16:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
* Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

36W DD?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 09:36:41 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 21/10/2017 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout. Is
this viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer, cheaper
to run.

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I've completely swapped to LED over the last two years and no failures
yet. I took the opportunity of fitting (surface mount) LED panel lights
in the bathroom, kitchen and hallway which I've found give a nice even
spread of light.

As for the colour temperature of the LEDs its really down to personal
preference and you have to ignore those on here who preach that those
horrendous warm yellow bulbs of yesteryear are more natural because they
are the same colour as the candle chandelier they replaced You may
find that for close up working or reading if you are of a certain age
and/or don't have perfect eyesight then a colder blue or daylight type
temperature LED suits you better. Buy a couple different temperatures LEDs
and try them out.

Or buy the fancy leds that can be set to any color temp you like via
the app so you can have a different color temp when doing fine
work or reading and when doing other stuff like ****ing the slut etc.

That's no way to refer to your bitch :-) .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2017 19:14, tim... wrote:

[...]

Nope - you can easily get lamps upto around 5000K (very cool white)

LED Hut are good in that respect - pick a bulb and a power, and there'll
generally be a choice of 2-3 colour temperatures.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/17 22:19, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 20:18:24 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

[...]

LEDs and try them out. Relegate the bulbs you don't like to somewhere
that is used infrequently.

Except nearly all the bulbs I have seen on sale are 2700K 'warm
white'.

That's why you have to go online and stop bother with high street shop
which often sell utter junk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2017 10:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote on 22/10/2017 :
Obvioulsly myself I hardly use lights these days, but* as long as you
get the right colour temp for what you need then I think LEDs are more
efficient, and come on faster.

Well, actually they come on at full bright instantly. That alone saves
current, because I feel more inclined to turn them off, knowing there
will be no delay when I switch them back on.

I just bought a couple from B&Q (yes, I know, but I needed them _THEN_
to go with some new lights).

Much to my surprise they take a second to come on. And are completely
flicker free.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW formulated on Sunday :