Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/17 22:19, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 20:18:24 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 21/10/2017 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer, cheaper
to run.

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I've completely swapped to LED over the last two years and no failures
yet. I took the opportunity of fitting (surface mount) LED panel lights
in the bathroom, kitchen and hallway which I've found give a nice even
spread of light.

As for the colour temperature of the LEDs its really down to personal
preference and you have to ignore those on here who preach that those
horrendous warm yellow bulbs of yesteryear are more natural because they
are the same colour as the candle chandelier they replaced You may
find that for close up working or reading if you are of a certain age
and/or don't have perfect eyesight then a colder blue or daylight type
temperature LED suits you better. Buy a couple different temperatures
LEDs and try them out. Relegate the bulbs you don't like to somewhere
that is used infrequently.

Except nearly all the bulbs I have seen on sale are 2700K 'warm
white'.

That's why you have to go online and stop bother with high street shop
which often sell utter junk.