Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On 22/10/17 10:16, alan_m wrote:
On 22/10/2017 01:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

It was my higher power CFL that went bang, with smoke.

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

Getting rid of the heat may be the killer for LED bulbs in a small
package that's why its worth considering changing the light fitting to
something like a round panel light which commonly come in 12W, 18W or
24W varieties. The LEDs in these are the flexible LED strips but
attached directly to the body of the light fitting to act as a heat sink.

Most certainly true of G9 bulbs, which are much dimmer than the halogens
they replace. The fittings for G9s are usually pretty small, and heat
build-up is a real problem.

--

Jeff