Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/17 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer, cheaper
to run.

Ive have on that doesn't. It has a short delay.

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I converted all of my regularly used/regularly on lights, over to LED 12
months ago - not a single failure so far. They vary from 3w to 9w. Just
to be clear, I did only swap out the ones which we use often - I didn't
do centre lights and some were 22w CFL's.

There are no reasons why LEDS have to emit RF or flicker or have an
annoying spectrum. It is child's play to use a series cap to limit
current, and put a diode and reservoir to feed them off DC and
eliminate ripple. Even their beam patterns are not a part of 'being an
LED' but down to reflector design,.

The trouble is that they are sold as low-power replacements for halogen
bulbs, to be used in the same fitting. Halogens have a pretty-much 360
degree beam, and it doesn't matter too much how the reflector is
designed. But put an LED in the same reflector, and you usually have a
problem.

Replacing the lamp fitting with a reflector designed for LEDs will work,
but will affect the cost-saving when using LEDs instead of halogens for
some time.

In other words none of the drawbacks mentioned by people here are
intrinsic to LEDS, but just to specific (badly?) designed examples.

But they are intrinsic to LEDs because they have a narrow beam. If LED
bulbs can be manufactured in a "corn cob" design, surely it can't be so
difficult to come up with a spherical design to improve beam coverage.

--

Jeff