Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On 22/10/2017 16:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Caecilius formulated on Sunday :
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:16:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
* Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 22/10/2017, Jeff Layman supposed :
The trouble is that they are sold as low-power replacements for
halogen bulbs, to be used in the same fitting. Halogens have a
pretty-much 360 degree beam, and it doesn't matter too much how the
reflector is designed. But put an LED in the same reflector, and you
usually have a problem.

You can specify 'corn-cob' LED, which has light output around the
entire lamp, except the base.

These seem to be less efficient than single LED units.

I think that's because the corn cob lamps use SMB chips, which are not
as efficient as the COB chips used in single LED units.

My experience of one unit, does not support that. I replaced a 36w
double D light fitting with a new fitting installing in it, the cob LED
I mentioned earlier. It produces a much better light in the area. The
one issue is that being a much smaller light source, it tends to dazzle
a bit. It has already outlived the operating time I would expect of the
double D tube, where it would begin to dim.

I've come to the conclusion it is a matter of 'perception'. We've found
LEDs pretty well hopeless in a domestic setting- nothing like the
claimed 'equivalence' to ordinary bulbs. Conversely, a friend swears by
them- although his sitting room (for example) has a huge number of LED
lights inserted in the ceiling (at least 20) whereas we have one central
light in a similar sized room.

We do use them in our motorhome but we accept a lower level of light there.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud