Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/17 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer,
cheaper to run.

Ive have on that doesn't. It has a short delay.

That must have a fancy driver, presume a higher power one?

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I converted all of my regularly used/regularly on lights, over to LED
12 months ago - not a single failure so far. They vary from 3w to 9w.
Just to be clear, I did only swap out the ones which we use often - I
didn't do centre lights and some were 22w CFL's.

There are no reasons why LEDS have to emit RF or flicker or have an
annoying spectrum. It is child's play to use a series cap to limit
current, and put aÂ* diode and reservoir to feed them off DC and
eliminate ripple. EvenÂ* their beam patterns are not a part of 'being an
LED' but down to reflector design,.

As you say a cheap design has little in it, the only source of noise
ought to be the diodes turning off. The old technique to reduce this was
to use small caps across each diode.

In other words none of the drawbacks mentioned by people here are
intrinsic to LEDS, but just to specific (badly?) designed examples.

LEDs are inherently unidirectional, unlike incandescent and fluorescent
that emit in a omnidirectional pattern. Anything light spreading
technique is going to reduce LED performance.