DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   LED v CFL bulbs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/598657-led-v-cfl-bulbs.html)

Me October 21st 17 06:49 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout. Is
this viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

Thank you.

[email protected] October 21st 17 07:12 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 18:48:59 UTC+1, Me wrote:
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout. Is
this viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

LEDs have about half the running cost, AFAIR. And seem to last longer.

You may prefer to keep a few CFLs in positions that get turned when the user's eyes are dark-adapted, as they turn on more gently - but you should know that already.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |

tim... October 21st 17 07:14 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

"Me" wrote in message ...
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout. Is
this viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

with the cost of LEDs coming down annually, I wouldn't be going out and
replacing mine today.

wait until the cfls die and actually need replacing

tim

newshound October 21st 17 07:21 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 19:14, tim... wrote:

"Me" wrote in message
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

with the cost of LEDs coming down annually, I wouldn't be going out and
replacing mine today.

wait until the cfls die and actually need replacing

tim

+1

Also I have had a few early failures, including one of the Lidl "two for
£6" which only lasted a couple of days. Havn't got round to taking it
back yet.

Rod Speed October 21st 17 07:28 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

Me wrote

My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a
couple of LEDs used as bedside lights. I am thinking
about switching to LEDs throughout. Is this viable?

Yep.

Pros and cons?

Its obviously going to cost a bit to change them
rather than wait till the cfls fail one by one.

One advantage is that you can get leds that
you can change the color temp of with a switch
which cant be useful in some situations. And the
good ones last longer and are easy to do in led
strips. cfls are more concentrated light.

I would value your opinions.

Rod Speed October 21st 17 07:32 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

wrote in message
On Saturday, 21 October 2017 18:48:59 UTC+1, Me wrote:
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout. Is
this viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

LEDs have about half the running cost, AFAIR. And seem to last longer.

You may prefer to keep a few CFLs in positions that get turned when
the user's eyes are dark-adapted, as they turn on more gently

The best leds like Hues can be programmed to turn on at any rate you like.

Off too.

Max Demian October 21st 17 07:37 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_lamp#Comparison_table

You may prefer to keep a few CFLs in positions that get turned when the user's eyes are dark-adapted, as they turn on more gently - but you should know that already.

That's generally regarded as an annoyance. If you want them to come on
gently, use a dimmer (if the lamp type will tolerate them).

--
Max Demian

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] October 21st 17 07:42 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout. Is this
viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer,
cheaper to run.

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I converted all of my regularly used/regularly on lights, over to LED
12 months ago - not a single failure so far. They vary from 3w to 9w.
Just to be clear, I did only swap out the ones which we use often - I
didn't do centre lights and some were 22w CFL's.

Max Demian October 21st 17 07:43 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 19:28, Rod Speed wrote:
Me wrote
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?

Yep.
Pros and cons?

Its obviously going to cost a bit to change them
rather than wait till the cfls fail one by one.
One advantage is that you can get leds that
you can change the color temp of with a switch
which cant be useful in some situations.

A switch, or a knob? Or an 'app' on your smartphone that relies on
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/The Cloud/Uploads you colour preferences to the
manufacturer for some unknown purpose?

--
Max Demian

alan_m October 21st 17 08:18 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?* Pros and cons?* I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer, cheaper
to run.

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I've completely swapped to LED over the last two years and no failures
yet. I took the opportunity of fitting (surface mount) LED panel lights
in the bathroom, kitchen and hallway which I've found give a nice even
spread of light.

As for the colour temperature of the LEDs its really down to personal
preference and you have to ignore those on here who preach that those
horrendous warm yellow bulbs of yesteryear are more natural because they
are the same colour as the candle chandelier they replaced :) You may
find that for close up working or reading if you are of a certain age
and/or don't have perfect eyesight then a colder blue or daylight type
temperature LED suits you better. Buy a couple different temperatures
LEDs and try them out. Relegate the bulbs you don't like to somewhere
that is used infrequently.

Tim Watts[_3_] October 21st 17 09:10 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/17 18:49, Me wrote:
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.Â* Is
this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Thank you.

Light wise, LEDs are now very good - better than CFLs *and* tungsten.

(You can get very warm "filament" LEDs that feel very cosy all the way
to daylight cool).

Lifetime is an issue - LEDHut will give you IIRC 5 years but you have to
do some silly paper based registration.

They cover the first 2 years without paperwork. So I write the purchase
month and year on the base in a sharpie.

I've probably called in about 4-5 lamps out of 20 and most of the time,
they have just done a credit note without bothering to return the original.

So I prefer to stay with bulb format LEDs that are easy to change
mostly. I do have some dedicated strips in the kitchen and shed.

Tim Watts[_3_] October 21st 17 09:11 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/17 19:21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2017 19:14, tim... wrote:

"Me" wrote in message
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

with the cost of LEDs coming down annually, I wouldn't be going out
and replacing mine today.

wait until the cfls die and actually need replacing

tim

+1

Also I have had a few early failures, including one of the Lidl "two for
£6" which only lasted a couple of days. Havn't got round to taking it
back yet.

I avoid the junk that the shops sell - too much chinese cheap unbranded
crap. The ones that have worked well for me are Philips and LEDHut
(which are sort of "semi unbranded" but LEDHut seem to manage to pick
fairly decent stuff to resell)

S Viemeister[_2_] October 21st 17 09:30 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 10/21/2017 2:14 PM, tim... wrote:
"Me" wrote
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

with the cost of LEDs coming down annually, I wouldn't be going out and
replacing mine today.

wait until the cfls die and actually need replacing

Yes, that's pretty much what we've been doing, but some cfls are being
replaced when they start being annoyingly dim, rather than when they're
totally dead.

alan_m October 21st 17 09:40 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 21:10, Tim Watts wrote:

I've probably called in about 4-5 lamps out of 20 and most of the time,
they have just done a credit note without bothering to return the original.

So I prefer to stay with bulb format LEDs that are easy to change
mostly. I do have some dedicated strips in the kitchen and shed.

In the early days of LED I had failures with the smaller envelopes (GU10
etc.) possibly because of buying no-name cheaply from China but
possibly because the traditional housings are unsuitable for LEDs and
allow them (and their power supplies) to get too hot. When changing
consider also changing the light fitting.

More recently my purchases have been branded or from some of the more
reputable suppliers, such as LED hut. I've had none of these fail in a
couple of years.

I should mention that I had a few CFL fail with a bang/fizz/smoke so
they were not immune from a short life.

NY October 21st 17 10:10 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

"tim..." wrote in message

"Me" wrote in message
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout. Is
this viable? Pros and cons? I would value your opinions.

with the cost of LEDs coming down annually, I wouldn't be going out and
replacing mine today.

wait until the cfls die and actually need replacing

I prefer CFLs because there is less flicker if your eyes rapidly move across
the light. I have a Philips Hue LED bulb and I am very slightly aware of
multiple images, in different colours, of the bulb if I am looking at
something on one side of the bulb and then look to something on the other
side. I wonder if the various LEDs that make up the white light are pulsed
in sequence rather than all being fired simultaneously although with
different mark:space ratios to get the desired colour balance.

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which is I
think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

The other thing: LED GU10 spotlight bulbs have a very narrow beam with
sharply-defined edge, whereas tungsten GU10s are wider and the cutoff is
more gradual. If you have arranged tungsten spotlights to give fairly even
coverage, you may find dark patches in between if you switch to LED. I'm not
sure whether there are CFL GU10s.

NY October 21st 17 10:16 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

"alan_m" wrote in message
I've completely swapped to LED over the last two years and no failures
yet.

In the past two years, I've had two LED GU10 spotlights fail. They are
mounted in a modern 5-spotlight strip that is also two years old (so it may
have been made with LEDs in mind - or it may not). The symptom is pronounced
flicker, then the bulb goes out or fails to come on when the main switch is
next turned on but does come on if the switch is cycled off/on.

LED bulbs are very fussy about the ventilation of the light fitting (the
cylindrical shank of the bulb). The light-emitting part of an LED bulb
barely gets warm but even a 7W one gets almost too hot to touch close to the
fitting.

Scott[_17_] October 21st 17 10:17 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 21:11:54 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 21/10/17 19:21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2017 19:14, tim... wrote:

[snip]

I avoid the junk that the shops sell - too much chinese cheap unbranded
crap. The ones that have worked well for me are Philips and LEDHut
(which are sort of "semi unbranded" but LEDHut seem to manage to pick
fairly decent stuff to resell)

Not my experience, albeit with a niche product. I bought MR16 (12
Volt) spotlights and the radio frequency interference was so bad it
obliterated DAB reception in my kitchen. I returned them, they denied
receipt, I scanned and emailed the proof of delivery, they said the
person who signed was not an employee and the words delivered from
named sorting office meant the package was still at the sorting
office. Eventually they conceded the package was in their office
after all.

Scott[_17_] October 21st 17 10:19 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 20:18:24 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

[...]

Except nearly all the bulbs I have seen on sale are 2700K 'warm
white'.

Iggy October 21st 17 11:14 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

replying to Me, Iggy wrote:
LED's aren't worth it AT ALL and may never work out for me in a whole house
situation. First off, LED's are only 30% more efficient and that's JUST AT THE
LOW-END, they're not even 10% more efficient at the high-end. Neither
increased efficiency even matters when you're talking such low wattages to
start with.

2nd of all is that, even after a full decade of wild popularity, LED's are
still 200% more expensive than CFL's. This equates to you NEVER getting your
money back nor LED's ever being "worth it". AND, if you're some moron with
recessed-light stupidity all over your house, you're already woefully
inefficient and will ALWAYS stay screwed-to-the-wall...my 25 total bulbs put
your 60 total bulbs to shame.

Finally, do you have the right fixtures? I don't. Except for 2 lamps and 2
outdoor lights, all of my fixtures are enclosed flush mount fixtures. These
fixtures put LED's to a very early grave and the LED packaging makes sure to
mention that LED's aren't at all meant for enclosed fixtures. And, even in the
right fixtures, LED's don't last longer than CFL's and you can even get
Double-Life CFL's.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1244535-.htm

Rod Speed October 21st 17 11:33 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 21/10/2017 19:28, Rod Speed wrote:
Me wrote
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights. I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout. Is
this viable?

Yep.
Pros and cons?

Its obviously going to cost a bit to change them
rather than wait till the cfls fail one by one.
One advantage is that you can get leds that
you can change the color temp of with a switch
which cant be useful in some situations.

A switch, or a knob?

The app, and any color you like too.

Or an 'app' on your smartphone

Yep.

that relies on Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/The Cloud/Uploads you colour preferences to
the manufacturer

Nope, its all kept locally in the bridge.

for some unknown purpose?

Rod Speed October 21st 17 11:36 PM

LED v CFL bulbs

"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

Or buy the fancy leds that can be set to any color temp you like via
the app so you can have a different color temp when doing fine
work or reading and when doing other stuff like ****ing the slut etc.

Relegate the bulbs you don't like to somewhere that is used infrequently.

alan_m October 22nd 17 12:18 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 23:14, Iggy wrote:

Finally, do you have the right fixtures? I don't. Except for 2 lamps and 2
outdoor lights, all of my fixtures are enclosed flush mount fixtures. These
fixtures put LED's to a very early grave and the LED packaging makes
sure to
mention that LED's aren't at all meant for enclosed fixtures. And, even
in the
right fixtures, LED's don't last longer than CFL's

The same problem exists with CFLs in that many have fairly complex power
supplies and the life expectancy of some of the capacitors in these
supplies at elevated temperatures is/was short.

The power supplies in the LED bulbs tend to be fairly simple and for the
better designs a lot more reliable. However the LEDs themselves don't
like being operated at elevated temperatures.

and you can even get
Double-Life CFL's.

CFLs seems to have disappeared from the shelves in many retail outlets
in favour of LEDs.

CFLs were never cheap. In the UK most were price subsidised by the
energy utility bill payer.

Dave Plowman (News) October 22nd 17 12:30 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Light wise, LEDs are now very good - better than CFLs *and* tungsten.

Bit of a broad statement, that. LEDs still don't have the continuous
spectrum output you get from halogen - and may never have. But they are
certainty better than only a couple of years ago,

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Biggles[_3_] October 22nd 17 12:41 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

"NY" Wrote in message:
"tim..." wrote in message

"Me" wrote in message
[...]

Not all LED GU10s have narrow beams - mine cast a similar beam to
the previous halogens, which were wide beam (can't recall exact
angle but remember going for widest available!). You are right
though, it pays to be careful when selecting them.
--
Biggles

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John Rumm October 22nd 17 01:28 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

wrote:

On 21/10/17 19:21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2017 19:14, tim... wrote:

[snip]

I avoid the junk that the shops sell - too much chinese cheap unbranded
crap. The ones that have worked well for me are Philips and LEDHut
(which are sort of "semi unbranded" but LEDHut seem to manage to pick
fairly decent stuff to resell)

Not my experience, albeit with a niche product. I bought MR16 (12
Volt) spotlights and the radio frequency interference was so bad it
obliterated DAB reception in my kitchen. I returned them, they denied
receipt, I scanned and emailed the proof of delivery, they said the
person who signed was not an employee and the words delivered from
named sorting office meant the package was still at the sorting
office. Eventually they conceded the package was in their office
after all.

I have bought quite a few from LEDHut, and found them to be pretty good.
I have had a couple of early lamp failures. In each occasion, I have
emailed them and they sent a replacement FOC without quibbling, or even
requesting the dud ones back. I found the filament style 60W equiv lamps
to be very good a true match for light output and a pretty good CRI.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm October 22nd 17 01:30 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

--
Cheers,

John.

Iggy October 22nd 17 02:44 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

replying to alan_m, Iggy wrote:
Yep, it's shame. CFL's started out at 20,000-hours and LED's boasted
100,000-hours. But, Planned Obsolescence wasn't enough, now Forced
Obsolescence starts to take over and even remove choice and value.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1244535-.htm

[email protected] October 22nd 17 05:10 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On Sunday, 22 October 2017 02:44:06 UTC+1, Iggy wrote:
replying to alan_m, Iggy wrote:

Yep, it's shame. CFL's started out at 20,000-hours

I recall 6,000 hrs for electronic ones, 5,000 hours for the earliest Philips SL iron ballast ones.

and LED's boasted
100,000-hours.

indicator LEDs did, but never lighting LEDs.

But, Planned Obsolescence wasn't enough, now Forced
Obsolescence starts to take over and even remove choice and value.

maybe, but not relevant to LEDs.

NT

ARW[_2_] October 22nd 17 08:23 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 22/10/2017 01:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

But probably not at 2700K.

You need to be looking at 15W for that.

--
Adam

Brian Gaff October 22nd 17 08:36 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

Also some do not like the suddencut off in lighting area of leds, but they
are , apparently getting better in this respect now.

My one concern has been that some LEDs have some kind of switch mode psu in
them and kick out rfi at an alarming rate, but I'm sure these are mostly the
el cheapo ones.
Obvioulsly myself I hardly use lights these days, but as long as you get
the right colour temp for what you need then I think LEDs are more
efficient, and come on faster.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

ARW[_2_] October 22nd 17 08:37 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?* Pros and cons?* I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer, cheaper
to run.

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I converted all of my regularly used/regularly on lights, over to LED 12
months ago - not a single failure so far. They vary from 3w to 9w. Just
to be clear, I did only swap out the ones which we use often - I didn't
do centre lights and some were 22w CFL's.

I went nearly all LED a few years ago (I cannot find an LED light that
would be a good replacement for my outside floodlight). Swapped the gf's
lamps about a year later.

Not one failure.

However I have fitted thousands of them and I do see failures - usually
in the the first week or so. But not that many.

--
Adam

Jim in Hamhaig .... October 22nd 17 08:41 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Also some do not like the suddencut off in lighting area of leds, but they
are , apparently getting better in this respect now.

My one concern has been that some LEDs have some kind of switch mode psu
in them and kick out rfi at an alarming rate, but I'm sure these are
mostly the el cheapo ones.
Obvioulsly myself I hardly use lights these days, but as long as you get
the right colour temp for what you need then I think LEDs are more
efficient, and come on faster.
Brian

I have found even the pound shop jobs to be quiet on HF ...........

Dave Plowman (News) October 22nd 17 09:35 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

It's interesting to use one in a common situation - say a central pendant
fitting in a white or light coloured room, and compare the ambient light
between them. My guess is they have a very special tungsten 100w they used
for comparison.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Martin Brown[_2_] October 22nd 17 09:53 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 18:49, Me wrote:

My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.Â* Is
this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

If you can live with the light quality that CFLs provide then phase them
out as they fail by replacing with new LED. No point in junking a
working lamp you may as well wait until it fails.

There is a marginal 5-10% advantage in power consumption now with LED
over CFL but nothing like the factor of 3-4 improvement that you get
moving from incandescents.

My house is still lit with a mix of incandescents, CFLs and LED. All the
most used lights are LED and as they fail the old ones will be replaces
with LED but infrequently used lights in the loft, spare bedroom and
broomcupboard will be used to finish off my collection of old lamps.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 22nd 17 10:12 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/17 18:49, Me wrote:
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used as
bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.Â* Is
this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Thank you.

No cons.

LEDS are in every way superior to CFLs.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

alan_m October 22nd 17 10:16 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

It was my higher power CFL that went bang, with smoke.

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

Getting rid of the heat may be the killer for LED bulbs in a small
package that's why its worth considering changing the light fitting to
something like a round panel light which commonly come in 12W, 18W or
24W varieties. The LEDs in these are the flexible LED strips but
attached directly to the body of the light fitting to act as a heat sink.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 22nd 17 10:19 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

On 21/10/17 19:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Me presented the following explanation :
My house is mostly lit by cfl lamps, apart from a couple of LEDs used
as bedside lights.Â* I am thinking about switching to LEDs throughout.
Is this viable?Â* Pros and cons?Â* I would value your opinions.

Pros..
They come on instantly to full output, last considerably longer, cheaper
to run.

Ive have on that doesn't. It has a short delay.

Cons..
None really, though some complain about the light spectrum.

I converted all of my regularly used/regularly on lights, over to LED 12
months ago - not a single failure so far. They vary from 3w to 9w. Just
to be clear, I did only swap out the ones which we use often - I didn't
do centre lights and some were 22w CFL's.

There are no reasons why LEDS have to emit RF or flicker or have an
annoying spectrum. It is child's play to use a series cap to limit
current, and put a diode and reservoir to feed them off DC and
eliminate ripple. Even their beam patterns are not a part of 'being an
LED' but down to reflector design,.

In other words none of the drawbacks mentioned by people here are
intrinsic to LEDS, but just to specific (badly?) designed examples.

charles October 22nd 17 10:20 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Light wise, LEDs are now very good - better than CFLs *and* tungsten.

Bit of a broad statement, that. LEDs still don't have the continuous
spectrum output you get from halogen - and may never have. But they are
certainty better than only a couple of years ago,

I bought some LED SES candle bulbs, to replace halogens which have a
comparatively short life. 4w LEDs are a little brighter than the 35w
halogen and a very similar colour temperature (as far as I can see)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

charles October 22nd 17 10:21 AM

LED v CFL bulbs

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/10/2017 22:10, NY wrote:

Also, can you get an LED bulb yet that is as bright as a 25 W CFL which
is I think is equivalent to about 150 W tungsten?

I have seen some 11W ones that claim to match a 100W tungsten...

judging by the illumination in our village hall, I'd say they are brighter.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England