Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On 22/10/17 14:58, Scott wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 01:28:42 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/10/2017 22:17, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 21:11:54 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 21/10/17 19:21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2017 19:14, tim... wrote:

[snip]

I avoid the junk that the shops sell - too much chinese cheap unbranded
crap. The ones that have worked well for me are Philips and LEDHut
(which are sort of "semi unbranded" but LEDHut seem to manage to pick
fairly decent stuff to resell)

Not my experience, albeit with a niche product. I bought MR16 (12
Volt) spotlights and the radio frequency interference was so bad it
obliterated DAB reception in my kitchen. I returned them, they denied
receipt, I scanned and emailed the proof of delivery, they said the
person who signed was not an employee and the words delivered from
named sorting office meant the package was still at the sorting
office. Eventually they conceded the package was in their office
after all.

I have bought quite a few from LEDHut, and found them to be pretty good.
I have had a couple of early lamp failures. In each occasion, I have
emailed them and they sent a replacement FOC without quibbling, or even
requesting the dud ones back.

Just as well if they can't cope with the returns process.

I found the filament style 60W equiv lamps
to be very good a true match for light output and a pretty good CRI.

Is it the case that almost all LED bulbs now are warm white? This may
be the preferred choice for many applications but not IMO for
kitchens, bathrooms or where there are coloured shades or uplights.

Nope - you can easily get lamps upto around 5000K (very cool white)

LED Hut are good in that respect - pick a bulb and a power, and there'll
generally be a choice of 2-3 colour temperatures.