Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 08:44:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 12/12/2016 17:38, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

Why the fear of battery powered components?

Its not fear, its preference.

They work well enough and run for almost as long as the shelf life.

But mains powered bells work for a lot longer than that.

Not if there's a power cut. ;-)

Actually one of our student groups has a solar panle which charged up the batts for a doorbell and using a switch on a letter box it could also email when anything came through the letter box. (not that I coudl think of a good reason to do that but..)

I don't have that problem I don't have a doorbell I get people to knock.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Moreover the modern piezo sounders are highly efficient and loud unlike
the old prehistoric 2A solenoid soft iron ding-dong things from way back.
The other advantage is that you can go wireless and/or have a choice of
tunes for different bell pushes.

Just as true of mains powered ones.

But you'd need a UPS

Unless you need a continuously lit bell push then mains bell setups are no
longer really worth it (and even then current drain can be kept low enough
that a set of D batteries will last ~5000hr = 200 days).

Mains powered ones last a hell of a lot longer than that without any owner
action.

That's true the one I did at my parents stil works after 32+ years.
12V transformer, push switch and a couple of large black bell units.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Piezo sounders tend to be tuned to a particular highish frequency for best
efficiency. Perhaps ideal for an alarm

The beat frequency you get when multiple sounders are e.g. on each floor
of a staircase, seem to be set to the resonant frequency of a skull, for
maximum annoyance while you're trooping down to the fire-exit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 13:04:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:05:08 UTC, wrote:
Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the
required volume. Old mechanicals do.

Piezos and other electronic sounders have just about replaced
conventional bells in fire alarm systems due to low current requirement
enabling more sounders to be used, for uniform volume coverage.

Piezo sounders tend to be tuned to a particular highish frequency for best
efficiency. Perhaps ideal for an alarm, but not sure I'd like that nasty
noise as a door bell.

I agree with that, horrible screeching noise great for alarms but...

I;'ve had a plan for years for a speech doorbell, simple enough really just havn;t got around to it.
I'd use phrase like southparks, "hey dude vistors" (from cartmen gets an anal probe)

or aliens the young girl "They mostly come at night, mostly"

Now coupled that with some sort of recognition of the bell ringer, and I could include obsenities ... JWs. Father Jacks, Feck, Arse, girls.

I'm sure others could come up with interesting ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there?

I have a good old "ding-ding" chime, with illuminated push button and CU
mounted transformer, don't know if there's an easy way to piggy-back
additional sounders off it though.

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Chimes/Fixedchimes/Pages/D117.aspx

it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

How does that explain every battery powered one I ever try to use being
flat?

Very true.

I also looked at the latest 'bells' in the TLC catalogue after reading
this thread. And it seems many light up when ringing. So must be designed
for a bedsit? No wonder people can't hear them ring.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You can get ones that you record your voice/music or whatever. I had
one, but it ate batteries. 10 secs of recording time. Good fun though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2016 11:05, wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 08:20:35 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

They are plenty loud enough even for the chronically deaf. This one
which I chose for my parents flashes brightly as well for good measure.
It is still on its original set of batteries after three years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Byron-BY301...dp/B005JBN3V8/

I got it for them because they couldn't hear the old ding dong one!

Only weakness is IP44 rated door switch which is OK in a sheltered spot
but would be useless where I live with penetrating rain and snow.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I do have one as a kit somewhere never put it together.
it only has 1 speaker I wanted a dul asystem but as my front door is on the ground floor and my lounge 1st floor there wasn;t an easy cable run other than along the stairs and through the door, so I'm waiting for an IoT version so it.s true wireless.
I do know they use quite a bit of power even when not being pressed, so that was anothe rreason not to bother as I;d need to power it at the door or have yet more cables along the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:05:08 UTC, wrote:
Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the
required volume. Old mechanicals do.

Piezos and other electronic sounders have just about replaced
conventional bells in fire alarm systems due to low current requirement
enabling more sounders to be used, for uniform volume coverage.

Piezo sounders tend to be tuned to a particular highish frequency for best
efficiency. Perhaps ideal for an alarm, but not sure I'd like that nasty
noise as a door bell.

Piezo speakers can be made to do a range of sounds and tunes and are
plenty loud enough for a domestic dwelling. It isn't hifi but neither is
it just a manky fire alarm klaxon. Flash mode too for totally deaf.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Byron-BY301...dp/B005JBN3V8/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Piezo sounders tend to be tuned to a particular highish frequency for
best efficiency. Perhaps ideal for an alarm, but not sure I'd like
that nasty noise as a door bell.

Piezo speakers can be made to do a range of sounds and tunes

Think you mean a limited range of tunes. They are simply a version of a
loudspeaker and have to conform to the same rules as those.

and are
plenty loud enough for a domestic dwelling.

Depends on the dwelling.

It isn't hifi but neither is
it just a manky fire alarm klaxon.

Your fire alarm sounds as often as your doorbell? There must be a gag in
there somewhere.

Flash mode too for totally deaf.

So you have to position the unit were it can be seen at all times? Very
convenient, that.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Piezo sounders tend to be tuned to a particular highish frequency for
best efficiency. Perhaps ideal for an alarm

The beat frequency you get when multiple sounders are e.g. on each floor
of a staircase, seem to be set to the resonant frequency of a skull, for
maximum annoyance while you're trooping down to the fire-exit

A former colleague mouted a 12" loudspeaker on the stairwqll ceiling.
OPeating the bell push triggered a tape loop of the Westminster Chimes. You
heard them even when in the garden!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 11:29:23 -0000, wrote:

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:05:08 UTC, wrote:
Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the
required volume. Old mechanicals do.

Piezos and other electronic sounders have just about replaced conventional bells in fire alarm systems due to low current requirement enabling more sounders to be used, for uniform volume coverage.

My doorbell uses a small paper cone 2" speaker. It's as loud as a mechanical chime and lasts the lifetime of the 4 AA Duracells.

--
Would you like to join me in a drink?
Do you think we'll both fit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:07:51 -0000, Halmyre wrote:

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 10:57:09 PM UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:34:59 -0000, Scott wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:01:08 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:07:26 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for because, IMO, that is
probably the worst idea I've ever heard for running something as simple as
a doorbell. ;-)

Just to be clear, the wireless bell push powered off the mains idea. ;-)

Plenty of cheap wired bells available and bell transformers if you want a
push that lights up.

As has been mentioned, battery bells will last for years on a single set of
batteries.

Where I used to live the bellpush broke, so I left the two wires dangling. You could connect them to ring the bell. Trouble was, you got the kickback voltage of the solenoid used to chime the xylophone notes :-)

A friend of mine disconnected the bellpush when his wife had a baby.
Didn't appreciate it at all when I used my initiative to touch the two
ends together!

I pressed an old rusty bellpush once, and the damn thing wouldn't stop ringing. I was still trying to pull the button back out when she answered the door.

Next time I went there, I had a can of WD40 in my hand.

Good idea, but what about the bellpush?

I don't think WD works the same as KY.

--
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:28:19 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Next time I went there, I had a can of WD40 in my hand.

Well that would leave it permanently gummed up and sticky then! I can
think of several much better concotions to spray on a sticky switch.

WD40 has worked in everything I've ever used it on. Bike chains, switches, hinges, .....

--
The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity; and there you have the trouble today is conformity: People acting like everyone else without knowing why, without knowing where they're going. -- Earl Nightingale
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Martin Brown wrote
Clive Arthur wrote
Chris Green wrote

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

Why the fear of battery powered components?

Its not fear, its preference.

They work well enough and run for almost as long as the shelf life.

But mains powered bells work for a lot longer than that.

Not if there's a power cut. ;-)

Yep, with the best designed ones that have a rechargeable battery in them.

Actually one of our student groups has a solar panle which charged
up the batts for a doorbell and using a switch on a letter box it could
also email when anything came through the letter box.

Yeah, I'll likely do one of those myself.

(not that I coudl think of a good reason to do that but..)

I can. We arent stupid enough to have our letterboxes in the front
door and so its handy to be notified when the posty puts something
in the letterbox instead of having to check it daily etc.

I don't have that problem I don't have a doorbell I get people to knock.

I didnt bother because the ****ing great alsatian leaves any doorbell
for dead and given that he prefers to lie just inside the massive great
patio door that is the front door, so he can watch people walking
past in the park/walkway next door, no need for any doorbell.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push
batteries last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal
use as they're only drained when the button is pushed.

Moreover the modern piezo sounders are highly efficient and loud
unlike the old prehistoric 2A solenoid soft iron ding-dong things
from way back. The other advantage is that you can go wireless
and/or have a choice of tunes for different bell pushes.

Just as true of mains powered ones.

But you'd need a UPS

Nope, just one properly designed with a rechargeable battery inside it.

Makes sense to have one integrated with the alarm system with just
a different sound when its the doorbell button thats been pressed.

Unless you need a continuously lit bell push then mains bell setups
are no longer really worth it (and even then current drain can be kept
low enough that a set of D batteries will last ~5000hr = 200 days).

Mains powered ones last a hell of a lot
longer than that without any owner action.

That's true the one I did at my parents stil works after 32+ years.
12V transformer, push switch and a couple of large black bell units.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 7:13:13 PM UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:28:19 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Next time I went there, I had a can of WD40 in my hand.

Well that would leave it permanently gummed up and sticky then! I can
think of several much better concotions to spray on a sticky switch.

WD40 has worked in everything I've ever used it on. Bike chains, switches, hinges, .....

Not in padlocks it doesn't. My shed padlock works better for longer with 3-in-1 than with WD40.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 19:33:42 -0000, Halmyre wrote:

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 7:13:13 PM UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:28:19 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Next time I went there, I had a can of WD40 in my hand.

Well that would leave it permanently gummed up and sticky then! I can
think of several much better concotions to spray on a sticky switch.

WD40 has worked in everything I've ever used it on. Bike chains, switches, hinges, .....

Not in padlocks it doesn't. My shed padlock works better for longer with 3-in-1 than with WD40.

Funny, I've fixed padlocks permanently with WD40.

--
What comes after 69?
Mouthwash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 17:21:21 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

My wired system was installed by the builders' electricians nearly 30
years ago. When I installed a second chime unit in the living room,
wired off the first in the hall, I needed to change the transformer
before both would ring.
(When I last looked into the current door bell market I formed the
impression that manufacturers think that the market is for battery
powered wireless systems, presumably because users don't want to be
bothered with installing, or understand, wired systems. Dave Lang's
(TMH's) calls to install wireless doorbells is sympomatic of this.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 15:49:00 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 13/12/2016 11:05, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

In a lot of houses, people often fail to hear piezos. They'd be far from reliable here. Yours may be different.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Johnson wrote:
[...]

It's fairly symptomatic. Wireless systems are easier and popular therefore
must be the best. When of course none are ever as good as cable.

Of course if you've got a nicely decorated house you're not going to want
to mess that up fitting a wired doorbell - but you'd be surprised how many
have changed from a wired one to wireless. Presumably just to stay in
fashion.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:46:50 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

[...]

Best thing to do is to look for the room with the TV in it and bang on the window. Even if people hear the doorbell they think it's part of the TV program. If you can hear a hoover, forget it.

--
A man was sunbathing naked at the beach.
For the sake of decency and civility, and to keep it from getting sunburnt, he had a hat over his private parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 22:51:59 -0000, Clive Arthur wrote:

On 12/12/2016 18:04, Chris Green wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Yes, but they fail without much warning. Not hearing the bell isn't a
very good indicator of a failed battery.

Certainly mine fails without warning, but never because of the bell push
battery which has been there for many years. It's always the bell
sounder unit batteries, as they are draining in receive mode all the time.

I thought the sounder was always plugged in?

--
The greatest distance attained for a jet of semen that has ever been recorded is 18'9" (5.71 m) which was achieved with a "substantial" amount of seminal fluid by Horst Schultz.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter Johnson wrote:
[...]

More likely because the wired one has failed and
they couldn’t find a replacement wired one easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 01:17:57 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
More likely because the wired one has failed and
they couldnt find a replacement wired one easily.

They're so hard to find aren't they.

I got mine from Woolworths.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Does 3in1 work the same way as 3 up. :-D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Only weakness is IP44 rated door switch which is OK in a sheltered
spot but would be useless where I live with penetrating rain and snow.

In a lot of houses, people often fail to hear piezos. They'd be far from
reliable here. Yours may be different.

It will obviously depend on the house design and if say you tend to have a
radio on etc all day.

I have two underdome bells driven from a transformer. Can be heard all
over the house easily - and also from the front door when you ring the
bell. Which gives a visitor the reassurance it is working.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 01:17:57 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
More likely because the wired one has failed and
they couldn‘t find a replacement wired one easily.

They're so hard to find aren't they.

And of course wire often just fails of its own accord.

I got mine from Woolworths.

My mains ones were installed when I re-wired this house on buying it. Over
40 years ago. I'll bet no wireless bell will last that long.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote:
[...]

It;s usually that the wored one has stopped working, they replace the battereis but still no luck, it;s usually a lose wire but they'll go out and buy a new setup as it;d be cheaper than getting a man in to sort it out.
The same goes for a lot of cheap household stuff.
I've even noticed this amonst those still smokeing few seem to have 'nice' lighters most seem to buy the 10 for a quid no re-filable.
Although I've been shown how to re-fill then as friend was (~2009) in india and there is/was a small 'industry' re-filling no re-filable lighters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 09:32:26 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 01:17:57 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
More likely because the wired one has failed and
they couldnt find a replacement wired one easily.

They're so hard to find aren't they.

I got mine from Woolworths.

Owain

Woolworths closed down in the UK 8 years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
More likely because the wired one has failed and
they couldn‘t find a replacement wired one easily.

It;s usually that the wored one has stopped working, they replace the
battereis but still no luck,

Only an idiot would go to the bother of installing a wired bell then run
if from batteries.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 11:15:11 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 01:17:57 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
More likely because the wired one has failed and
they couldn€˜t find a replacement wired one easily.

They're so hard to find aren't they.

And of course wire often just fails of its own accord.

So why don't they guerrentes such things for 1000 or more years ?

So yuor saying such systems never go wrong.

I got mine from Woolworths.

My mains ones were installed when I re-wired this house on buying it. Over
40 years ago. I'll bet no wireless bell will last that long.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I tried 7up once and she didn't like it.

--
Confucius say: "Man who run in front of car get tired"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

Yes, you can easily buy a bell and a transformer. Likely you can also
modify a battery operated one to use power from a transformer. I
recently did just that using a transformer that had 4,8 and 12v options.

When I replaced the push buttons at the front and back doors I found
that there had obviously been many previous ones. Unlike the other mains
operated one that has remained the same for the past 30 years.

The transformer I got looks like this:
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/produ...ll-transformer

Byron make bells etc.

--
Michael Chare

Doorbells - Help Please Kate[_5_] Home Repair 52 May 22nd 17 04:37 PM
Doorbells - what is it Jethro_uk[_2_] UK diy 129 July 9th 12 02:54 AM
Looking for PCB houses for reasonable prices in US. Jakthehammer Electronics 1 February 7th 08 12:05 AM
Wireless doorbells George UK diy 0 July 2nd 07 01:06 PM
Wireless doorbells robgraham UK diy 0 July 2nd 07 12:04 PM