Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doorbells - what is it

We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

most people now call you on your mobile to say they are outside your door
rather than ring the bell and maybe disturb you.

I don't understand ............

--

MarkBR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh I'm glad you posted this. I get this as well. In fact my bell has to be
pushed quite hard but not excessively so, so not only do I get the double
glazed knock but also the wimpy push brigade as well. I explained that my
bell push is perfectly normal, its old and hence needs mor than a gnats wing
to press it though.
I have a door phone as well and this seems to confuse them when my
disembodied voice appears on a little speaker box. Where have these peaople
been broaght up?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 09:06:10 GMT
Jethro_uk wrote:

We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss
it. It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door -
exactly where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see
people coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because
for some reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for.
I've just had a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be
what they must teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

He will undoubtedly say "They never work". And you will show him that
yours does, and he will ignore the next one he comes upon.
So sad. Mine works, too, if anybody bothers to push the button. They
never do, it's a disease.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

We have a Georgian style "pull" knob right in the middle of the door.
(Cast in brass from the original designs alledgedly, but works great with
those wireless senders!)

A lot of people don't realise it's a door bell and that it has to be
pulled...

Not surprising, but ...

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:04:31 +0000 (UTC)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

Now you're really going to confuse them! Sounds nice, too.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/07/2012 11:25, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:04:31 +0000 (UTC)
Gordon wrote:

In ,
wrote:
[...]

It probably reads "PULL" on the knob thats why they wil get confused.
:-) you need to change the wording to text speak!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Many of the delivery apes dont because they see so many that dont work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:04:31 +0000 (UTC)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

Actually, the biggest problem is that people outside can't hear the
doorbell inside (2 heavy old doors in the way), so they end up knocking
too. Will rememdy that one day - fairly easy with those wireless units
now..

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 11:21:42 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article , Davey
wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:04:31 +0000 (UTC) Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article , Jethro_uk
wrote:
[...]

I have a sounder in the porch. They would know this if they tried USING
THE DOORBELL ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 2, 2012 10:28:15 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Oh I'm glad you posted this. I get this as well. In fact my bell has to be
pushed quite hard but not excessively so, so not only do I get the double
glazed knock but also the wimpy push brigade as well. I explained that my
bell push is perfectly normal, its old and hence needs mor than a gnats wing
to press it though.
I have a door phone as well and this seems to confuse them when my
disembodied voice appears on a little speaker box. Where have these peaople
been broaght up?

Dragged up, maybe put a note next to it saying "DO NOT Push Hard" might work ;-)
Years ago I used to hang importent message upside down on doors and windows or make really bad spelling mistakes and them someone would come up and say you've put it up the wrong way of spelt it wrongly so I asked them what was wrong and then I'd say well at least you read it.
A notice which says please close the door behind you seems to work better upside down or perhaps that's just with students ;-)

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:12:04 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

1: The glass on the door is set up as a touch screen sensor
and then the taps operate the door bell.

I wonder if a burglar alarm window sensor(*) could be used to detect such
rapping and sound a remote bell or WHY?

(*) Vibration rather than break glass.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 13:52, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 12:12:04 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

1: The glass on the door is set up as a touch screen sensor
and then the taps operate the door bell.

I wonder if a burglar alarm window sensor(*) could be used to detect such
rapping and sound a remote bell or WHY?

(*) Vibration rather than break glass.

THe answer to this is simple. Most door bell that don't work look like
they should work. therefore there is no way of telling if a bell is or
is not working.

To press and wait is fine if the bell works but useless if it is not
working.

So press and knock will normally get a result but some tired / fed up
people just knock because that always makes a sound.

If you are expecting to knock 250 doors and the time waiting becomes
important. At 30 seconds more each that equals 125 minuets wasted or 2
hours on your working day.

I did door knocking for a dg company so I know what it is like. also how
many people block the house door with cars etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:38:10 +0100, Gary wrote:

[...]

Your theory sounds fine, but doesn't explain the increasing majority of
callers who *only* knock. Which won't be heard in the garden.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 10:29, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 09:06:10 GMT
wrote:

We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss
it. It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door -
exactly where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see
people coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because
for some reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for.
I've just had a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be
what they must teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

He will undoubtedly say "They never work". And you will show him that
yours does, and he will ignore the next one he comes upon.
So sad. Mine works, too, if anybody bothers to push the button. They
never do, it's a disease.

You would be surprised how many either don't work or aren't heard. I've
rung many & waited like a lemon for someone to answer. Now I ring the
bell & also use the knocker/bang on the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Oh. And why don't people ever put piggin numbers on their houses that
can be seem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Our area has names instead of numbers, but the comment is still valid.
Last winter, I walked past a courier driver trying to find a house, but
it was after dark, and not all names could be seen. He eventually found
where to make his delivery. The next day, in daylight, I saw that the
house in question has a dark wooden sign, with the house name engraved
into that, and it hangs in front of the porch light.
Duh!
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 10:06, Jethro_uk wrote:
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Only solution I have found is to use a PIR to trigger an annunciator
(and put up with false positives from birds). My old system failed, but
when I get round to it I have some new kit which I will plumb in to my
multi-bell wireless system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That would be a Nanny State law I would support. Every premises has to
have a number that can be seen from the street.

(Although I'd struggle; My house doesn't have a number and the nearest
public road is a 1/4 mile away.)

I believe it is already a law. But I cannot find a reference to it ATM.
(maybe Robin can help on this one)

Of course it's dead easy to find the numbers on a crappy housing estate.
They gloss paint the numbers on their walls.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss
it. It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door -
exactly where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see
people coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because
for some reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for.
I've just had a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be
what they must teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

I would ring the doorbell and then give the double glazing a bloody good
hammering if there was no answer after 2 minutes.

I also look and listen for other clues as to why the customer is not
answering the door.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

On 02/07/2012 10:06, Jethro_uk wrote:
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Only solution I have found is to use a PIR to trigger an annunciator
(and put up with false positives from birds). My old system failed, but
when I get round to it I have some new kit which I will plumb in to my
multi-bell wireless system.

What about a good old fashioned pressure pad under a doormat?
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 10:06, Jethro_uk wrote:
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Just get rid of the bellpush and rig a twin light beam detector on the
approach - that'll take care of the postman that tries to push through a
"We tried to deliver but you were out card" without ringing or knocking too!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I don't think its a law, however they were suggesting making it so a few
years ago.

Of course it's dead easy to find the numbers on a crappy housing estate.
They gloss paint the numbers on their walls.

Nah, it's on the bins kept at the front of the house!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 11:25, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:04:31 +0000 (UTC)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

And what would they make of the old style mechanical turn ones?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 17:46, newshound wrote:
On 02/07/2012 10:06, Jethro_uk wrote:
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Only solution I have found is to use a PIR to trigger an annunciator
(and put up with false positives from birds). My old system failed, but
when I get round to it I have some new kit which I will plumb in to my
multi-bell wireless system.

That's why I suggested a twin light beam system further up the thread -
only rings the bell if both beams are broken and can be placed so that
birds and cats won't set them off.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

The obvious answer to this is touch technology.

Nope.

Two versions. 1: The glass on the door is set up as a touch screen sensor
and then the taps operate the door bell.

Lot easier said than done, particularly with the 8'x8' patio
door that’s my front door.

2. The handle is designed like those handles on digital radios that when
you touch them something happens, in this case the doorbell.

Still doesn’t help when the ape just knocks on the solid
part of the door, when there is no glass in the door.

Makes a lot more sense to just use an external PIR
instead and then they don’t even have to knock at all.

Better if the bell isnt audible from outside the door tho,
otherwise the local brats can find it amusing to play with.

I have noticed that on porches most callers try the door.

I doubt it.

Gordon Henderson wrote
Jethro_uk wrote

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

How do they know they don't work,

They cant hear the bell ring.

it may just be that with all the cctv nowadays, people just don't bother
to come to the door if its something unexpected.

And presumably most just deliberately ignore
those that appear to be Joveys and sales fools.

Rod Speed wrote
Jethro_uk wrote

We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just
had
a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must
teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Many of the delivery apes don't because they see so many that don't work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That's so the take away delivery man can get there before the pizza goes
cold :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:04:31 +0000 (UTC) Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article , Jethro_uk
wrote:
[...]

But its not surprising that they dont try that at every door
on the off chance that a few like you have done that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

1: The glass on the door is set up as a touch screen
sensor and then the taps operate the door bell.

I wonder if a burglar alarm window sensor(*) could be used
to detect such rapping and sound a remote bell or WHY?

Yep, but it makes more sense to use an external PIR instead
because that will go off even if they knock on the wood of
the door, or the door has no glass at all.

(*) Vibration rather than break glass.

They arent as common. external PIRs are a lot more common.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's a hell of a problem with garage/yard sales and for pizza delivery
apes.

A decent GPS helps heaps now tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Jul 2012 16:11:30 GMT, Huge wrote:

(Although I'd struggle; My house doesn't have a number and the nearest
public road is a 1/4 mile away.)

Niether do we and the road doesn't have an offical name. It does have
number U something or other.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
newshound wrote:

[...]

Don't have a doormat.

An external PIR works a hell of a lot better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:38:10 +0100, Gary wrote:

THe answer to this is simple. Most door bell that don't work look like
they should work. therefore there is no way of telling if a bell is or
is not working.

Anybody who installs a doorbell that can't be heard to be working from
the door needs their head examining.

TBH if DG or other salesmen came round here I'd want a doorbell that
selectively didn't work.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:01:59 +0100
SteveW wrote:

On 02/07/2012 11:25, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:04:31 +0000 (UTC)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

Absolutely nothing, they wouldn't have a clue what they were for.
Again, so sad.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it.
It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly
where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people
coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some
reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just
had a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they
must teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Something I can't understand either. I have a well fitting vestibule door
which effectively stops a knock on the front door being heard other than
in the hall. But two doorbells which can be heard easily anywhere in the
house even above a radio etc. And you can hear them work from outside the
house.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote

The obvious answer to this is touch technology.

Nope.

Two versions. 1: The glass on the door is set up as a touch screen
sensor and then the taps operate the door bell.

Lot easier said than done, particularly with the 8'x8' patio
door thats my front door.

Are you a fat ******* then?

Nope, thats what all the doors are, 13 of them in fact,
5 in the main room thats where the front door is.

Its passive solar, stupid.

Wireless doorbells Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 July 3rd 07 12:07 AM
Wireless doorbells Terry W. UK diy 1 July 2nd 07 04:42 PM
Wireless doorbells Andrew May UK diy 2 July 2nd 07 03:25 PM
Wireless doorbells robgraham UK diy 0 July 2nd 07 12:04 PM