Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Doorbells - what is it

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:01:59 +0100
SteveW wrote:

On 02/07/2012 11:25, Davey wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:04:31 +0000 (UTC)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can
miss it. It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the
door - exactly where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see
people coming up the path. That way, I know they are there,
because for some reason very few people seem to know what a
doorbell is for. I've just had a guy pathetically tapping the
glass which seems to be what they must teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

We have a Georgian style "pull" knob right in the middle of the
door. (Cast in brass from the original designs alledgedly, but
works great with those wireless senders!)

A lot of people don't realise it's a door bell and that it has to
be pulled...

Not surprising, but ...

Gordon

Now you're really going to confuse them! Sounds nice, too.

And what would they make of the old style mechanical turn ones?

SteveW

Absolutely nothing, they wouldn't have a clue what they were for.
Again, so sad.
--
Davey.