Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 01:17:57 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 17:21:21 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

My wired system was installed by the builders' electricians nearly 30
years ago. When I installed a second chime unit in the living room,
wired off the first in the hall, I needed to change the transformer
before both would ring.
(When I last looked into the current door bell market I formed the
impression that manufacturers think that the market is for battery
powered wireless systems, presumably because users don't want to be
bothered with installing, or understand, wired systems. Dave Lang's
(TMH's) calls to install wireless doorbells is sympomatic of this.)

It's fairly symptomatic. Wireless systems are easier and popular therefore
must be the best. When of course none are ever as good as cable.

Of course if you've got a nicely decorated house you're not going to want
to mess that up fitting a wired doorbell - but you'd be surprised how many
have changed from a wired one to wireless. Presumably just to stay in
fashion.

More likely because the wired one has failed and
they couldnt find a replacement wired one easily.

It;s usually that the wored one has stopped working, they replace the battereis but still no luck, it;s usually a lose wire but they'll go out and buy a new setup as it;d be cheaper than getting a man in to sort it out.
The same goes for a lot of cheap household stuff.
I've even noticed this amonst those still smokeing few seem to have 'nice' lighters most seem to buy the 10 for a quid no re-filable.
Although I've been shown how to re-fill then as friend was (~2009) in india and there is/was a small 'industry' re-filling no re-filable lighters.