Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

On 13/12/2016 11:05, wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 08:20:35 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:38, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

Why the fear of battery powered components?
They work well enough and run for almost as long as the shelf life.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Moreover the modern piezo sounders are highly efficient and loud unlike
the old prehistoric 2A solenoid soft iron ding-dong things from way
back. The other advantage is that you can go wireless and/or have a
choice of tunes for different bell pushes.

Unless you need a continuously lit bell push then mains bell setups are
no longer really worth it (and even then current drain can be kept low
enough that a set of D batteries will last ~5000hr = 200 days).

Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the required volume. Old mechanicals do.

They are plenty loud enough even for the chronically deaf. This one
which I chose for my parents flashes brightly as well for good measure.
It is still on its original set of batteries after three years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Byron-BY301...dp/B005JBN3V8/

I got it for them because they couldn't hear the old ding dong one!

Only weakness is IP44 rated door switch which is OK in a sheltered spot
but would be useless where I live with penetrating rain and snow.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown