Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for because, IMO, that is
probably the worst idea I've ever heard for running something as simple as
a doorbell. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

--
Chris Green
·

passive door push
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...l_2/index.html

bell and transformer
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE792.html

They are wired, but you said you didn't mind too much. The big benefit
with wired mains doorbells is they just work for years and years and
years.....

Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there?

I have a good old "ding-ding" chime, with illuminated push button and CU
mounted transformer, don't know if there's an easy way to piggy-back
additional sounders off it though.

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Chimes/Fixedchimes/Pages/D117.aspx

it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

How does that explain every battery powered one I ever try to use being
flat?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 17:48, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for because, IMO, that is
probably the worst idea I've ever heard for running something as simple as
a doorbell. ;-)

Tim

I got a mains doorbell because I got fed up with the wireless bell
pushes packing up I had about four go intermitant or simply packed up
completely.
The mains one (including the wired bell push) has been faultless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 17:55, Bod wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:48, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Added to that, on random occasions the wireless doorbell push would ring
when nobody was there. I assume that it was getting a stray signal
from somewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Yes, but they fail without much warning. Not hearing the bell isn't a
very good indicator of a failed battery.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for because, IMO, that is
probably the worst idea I've ever heard for running something as simple as
a doorbell. ;-)

Just to be clear, the wireless bell push powered off the mains idea. ;-)

Plenty of cheap wired bells available and bell transformers if you want a
push that lights up.

As has been mentioned, battery bells will last for years on a single set of
batteries.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Doorbell

it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

How does that explain every battery powered one I ever try to use being
flat?

Doorbells used to use massive batteries decades ago. Those lasted many years, basically shelf life. Now that they use tiny AAs or similar of course they don't last well.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 December 2016 17:33:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

--
Chris Green
·

You can buy a door bell transformer that fits in one of the ways in your consumer unit instead of a MCB.

Eg:-
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5711.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:

it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

How does that explain every battery powered one I ever try to use being
flat?

Probably because it's a wireless bell. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 18:04, Chris Green wrote:

Yes, but they fail without much warning. Not hearing the bell isn't a
very good indicator of a failed battery.

On my wireless door bell, when the batteries in the bell push are
starting to go flat the chime unit still sounds the main chime but
follows it with a couple of loud warning beeps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:01:40 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 12/12/2016 17:55, Bod wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:48, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I've been told car keyfobs can set them off. Plus you've got neighbours' doorbells.

--
In 1272, the Arabic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.
In 1873, the British refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

[...]

My doorbell was here when I moved in in 2000. It uses 4AA batteries. Alkalines last about 7-10 years.

--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - New life"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 19:33:18 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:

it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

How does that explain every battery powered one I ever try to use being
flat?

Probably because it's a wireless bell. ;-)

I find 50% of wireless bells take 1-3 seconds to transmit, by which time you've not heard them and assumed they're broken, then knock. I even had one ring after someone answered the door!

--
In a recent survey 40% found they didn't have time to answer the
question, 25% hung up the phone when the question was being
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:04:18 -0000, Chris Green wrote:

Clive Arthur wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Yes, but they fail without much warning. Not hearing the bell isn't a
very good indicator of a failed battery.

Mine goes off-key if the batteries are low.

--
My wife was hinting about what she wanted for our upcoming anniversary. She said, 'I want something shiny that goes from 0 to 150 in about 3 seconds.'
So I bought her a set of scales.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:07:26 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Where I used to live the bellpush broke, so I left the two wires dangling. You could connect them to ring the bell. Trouble was, you got the kickback voltage of the solenoid used to chime the xylophone notes :-)

--
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Pilot training manual
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:24:23 -0000, harry wrote:

On Monday, 12 December 2016 17:33:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

--
Chris Green
·

You can buy a door bell transformer that fits in one of the ways in your consumer unit instead of a MCB.

Eg:-
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5711.html

If you happen to have that style of CU.

--
O'Hare Approach Control to a 747: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, Eastbound."
United 239: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this... I've got the little Fokker in sight."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

[...]

My computer is spying on me. I just got this recommendation in Ebay, I guess you could make a doorbell out of it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Synth-Kit-/112233746279

--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - New life"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine disconnected the bellpush when his wife had a baby.
Didn't appreciate it at all when I used my initiative to touch the two
ends together!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Yes, but they fail without much warning. Not hearing the bell isn't a
very good indicator of a failed battery.

Certainly mine fails without warning, but never because of the bell push
battery which has been there for many years. It's always the bell
sounder unit batteries, as they are draining in receive mode all the time.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I pressed an old rusty bellpush once, and the damn thing wouldn't stop ringing. I was still trying to pull the button back out when she answered the door.

Next time I went there, I had a can of WD40 in my hand.

--
The biggest difference between sex for money and sex for love is that sex for money usually costs a LOT less.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bod wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:55, Bod wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:48, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Other thing that some may not care about is an ordinary bell push can be
found in a variety of designs including say flush polished brass or
chrome. Rather than those horrible plastic surface mount things I see
everywhere. I find it strange to see a front door with expensive door
furniture but a cheap and nasty plastic wireless push just plonked on the
architrave.

--
*PMS jokes aren't funny; period.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 17:38, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

Why the fear of battery powered components?
They work well enough and run for almost as long as the shelf life.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Moreover the modern piezo sounders are highly efficient and loud unlike
the old prehistoric 2A solenoid soft iron ding-dong things from way
back. The other advantage is that you can go wireless and/or have a
choice of tunes for different bell pushes.

Unless you need a continuously lit bell push then mains bell setups are
no longer really worth it (and even then current drain can be kept low
enough that a set of D batteries will last ~5000hr = 200 days).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 00:44:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

found in a variety of designs including say flush polished brass or
chrome. Rather than those horrible plastic surface mount things I see
everywhere. I find it strange to see a front door with expensive door
furniture but a cheap and nasty plastic wireless push just plonked on the
architrave.

The trouble is that some of those have really poor quality switches.
I bought one with a nice oval stainless steel surround to match the
door handle. It worked fine for me, but some visitors complained that
the bell never rang and ended up thumping the door.

It turned out that the switch contacts were a pair of gold plated
screws going through the back plate to the main terminals in
conjunction with a larger screw at the end of the button. The screw
heads all touched when the switch was pushed straight in. However, if
the pressure was slightly sideways then the three screw heads never met.

I replaced it with a decent switch from Farnell fitted into the
original housing.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You won't find a mains powered button except on the wired variety of course.
think about it for amount. If you need to run a wire to a wireless button to
power it, what is the point in a wireless bell?
Most bells I've come across have either a space for batteries or a socket
for t a dc supply and even if they do not, its not very hard to add such a
supply to most bells be they the old chime type or the electronic type.
Besides, batteries in a wireless bell push are the least of your worries.
The bell push seems to be the weakest link in many designs, they use
rubbish membrane switches, suffer from water ingress and tend to fall to
bits quite often in my experience. I don't think they test them enough with
the thunper, half hearted presser and many hours in the English weather
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 12/12/2016 17:38, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 12/12/2016 17:21, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

Why the fear of battery powered components?

Its not fear, its preference.

They work well enough and run for almost as long as the shelf life.

But mains powered bells work for a lot longer than that.

I don't know, but it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

Moreover the modern piezo sounders are highly efficient and loud unlike
the old prehistoric 2A solenoid soft iron ding-dong things from way back.
The other advantage is that you can go wireless and/or have a choice of
tunes for different bell pushes.

Just as true of mains powered ones.

Unless you need a continuously lit bell push then mains bell setups are no
longer really worth it (and even then current drain can be kept low enough
that a set of D batteries will last ~5000hr = 200 days).

Mains powered ones last a hell of a lot longer than that without any owner
action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
You won't find a mains powered button except on the wired variety of
course. think about it for amount. If you need to run a wire to a wireless
button to power it, what is the point in a wireless bell?
Most bells I've come across have either a space for batteries or a socket
for t a dc supply and even if they do not, its not very hard to add such a
supply to most bells be they the old chime type or the electronic type.
Besides, batteries in a wireless bell push are the least of your worries.
The bell push seems to be the weakest link in many designs, they use
rubbish membrane switches, suffer from water ingress and tend to fall to
bits quite often in my experience. I don't think they test them enough
with the thunper, half hearted presser and many hours in the English
weather

There isnt a lot of english weather in China.
Quite a bit of chinese weather for some reason.

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Good idea, but what about the bellpush?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Next time I went there, I had a can of WD40 in my hand.

Well that would leave it permanently gummed up and sticky then! I can
think of several much better concotions to spray on a sticky switch.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You won't find a mains powered button except on the wired variety of course.
think about it for amount. If you need to run a wire to a wireless button to
power it, what is the point in a wireless bell?

A great deal of point, it only needs a wire from the nearest mains
power, not right across the house to the bell.

We have plug-in WiFi repeaters which do almost the same job for WiFi
so why not for bell pushes?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2016 08:27, Brian Gaff wrote:
You won't find a mains powered button except on the wired variety of course.
think about it for amount. If you need to run a wire to a wireless button to
power it, what is the point in a wireless bell?
Most bells I've come across have either a space for batteries or a socket
for t a dc supply and even if they do not, its not very hard to add such a
supply to most bells be they the old chime type or the electronic type.
Besides, batteries in a wireless bell push are the least of your worries.
The bell push seems to be the weakest link in many designs, they use
rubbish membrane switches, suffer from water ingress and tend to fall to
bits quite often in my experience. I don't think they test them enough with
the thunper, half hearted presser and many hours in the English weather
Brian

That has been my experience with wireless doorbell pushes. That and my
preference for a lit doorbell made me choose a mains one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 December 2016 17:33:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered.

You can get mains voltage bells, and mains rated bell push switches, but that means all the wiring has to be mains standard.

A conventional wired bell system with a transformer should run several bells in parallel, or if you use electronic sounders rather more.

If you want a completely power-free system put a magneto generator at the front door and some telephone bells around the place.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 08:20:35 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the required volume. Old mechanicals do.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2016 17:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there?

I have a good old "ding-ding" chime, with illuminated push button and CU
mounted transformer, don't know if there's an easy way to piggy-back
additional sounders off it though.

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Chimes/Fixedchimes/Pages/D117.aspx

it's worth pointing out that the bell push batteries
last pretty much the battery shelf life in normal use as they're only
drained when the button is pushed.

How does that explain every battery powered one I ever try to use being
flat?

Don't know... Perhaps people never replace the batteries.

I installed one about 8 years ago. Still going strong on its first battery.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:05:08 UTC, wrote:
Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the
required volume. Old mechanicals do.

Piezos and other electronic sounders have just about replaced conventional bells in fire alarm systems due to low current requirement enabling more sounders to be used, for uniform volume coverage.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:29:25 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:05:08 UTC, tabby wrote:

Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the
required volume. Old mechanicals do.

Piezos and other electronic sounders have just about replaced conventional bells in fire alarm systems due to low current requirement enabling more sounders to be used, for uniform volume coverage.

Owain

like everything it's because they're cheaper. They're used differently in doorbells and can't produce similar volume levels.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
A conventional wired bell system with a transformer should run several
bells in parallel, or if you use electronic sounders rather more.

A standard bell transformer - the largest commonly available - is only 1
amp. That should run two standard underdome bells - but they may work
better in series. It certainly won't run several.

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 11:05:08 UTC, wrote:
Piezos are very power efficient but they just don't have the
required volume. Old mechanicals do.

Piezos and other electronic sounders have just about replaced
conventional bells in fire alarm systems due to low current requirement
enabling more sounders to be used, for uniform volume coverage.

Piezo sounders tend to be tuned to a particular highish frequency for best
efficiency. Perhaps ideal for an alarm, but not sure I'd like that nasty
noise as a door bell.

Other thing is of course they're much cheaper to make than a decent bell.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doorbells - Help Please Kate[_5_] Home Repair 52 May 22nd 17 04:37 PM
Doorbells - what is it Jethro_uk[_2_] UK diy 129 July 9th 12 02:54 AM
Looking for PCB houses for reasonable prices in US. Jakthehammer Electronics 1 February 7th 08 12:05 AM
Wireless doorbells George UK diy 0 July 2nd 07 01:06 PM
Wireless doorbells robgraham UK diy 0 July 2nd 07 12:04 PM