Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jrwalliker@gmail.com is offline

Default Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016 00:44:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

found in a variety of designs including say flush polished brass or
chrome. Rather than those horrible plastic surface mount things I see
everywhere. I find it strange to see a front door with expensive door
furniture but a cheap and nasty plastic wireless push just plonked on the
architrave.

The trouble is that some of those have really poor quality switches.
I bought one with a nice oval stainless steel surround to match the
door handle. It worked fine for me, but some visitors complained that
the bell never rang and ended up thumping the door.

It turned out that the switch contacts were a pair of gold plated
screws going through the back plate to the main terminals in
conjunction with a larger screw at the end of the button. The screw
heads all touched when the switch was pushed straight in. However, if
the pressure was slightly sideways then the three screw heads never met.

I replaced it with a decent switch from Farnell fitted into the
original housing.

John