Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default Are there any 'all mains' doorbells at reasonable prices?

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 10:57:09 PM UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:34:59 -0000, Scott wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:01:08 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:07:26 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a doorbell (preferably one which has two or more sounders)
which doesn't use batteries at all. I.e. both the button(s) and the
sounders are mains powered. I don't even mind all that much if wire
is required between the button(s) and the sounders but wireless would
be easier.

Are there any out there? I can find quite a few with mains powered
sounders but they still have battery powered buttons.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for because, IMO, that is
probably the worst idea I've ever heard for running something as simple as
a doorbell. ;-)

Just to be clear, the wireless bell push powered off the mains idea. ;-)

Plenty of cheap wired bells available and bell transformers if you want a
push that lights up.

As has been mentioned, battery bells will last for years on a single set of
batteries.

Where I used to live the bellpush broke, so I left the two wires dangling. You could connect them to ring the bell. Trouble was, you got the kickback voltage of the solenoid used to chime the xylophone notes :-)

A friend of mine disconnected the bellpush when his wife had a baby.
Didn't appreciate it at all when I used my initiative to touch the two
ends together!

I pressed an old rusty bellpush once, and the damn thing wouldn't stop ringing. I was still trying to pull the button back out when she answered the door.

Next time I went there, I had a can of WD40 in my hand.

Good idea, but what about the bellpush?