Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV radio and internet advertising......

Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the BBC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2016 08:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the BBC.

Apart from their own adverts, which run on and on!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....

I don’t find that, there are still a few ads that are worth watching a few
times.

I personaly turn the tv and radio down when ads come on

I don’t watch any TV live now and so can skip the ads.

I do mute the audio when watching streamed stuff I havent managed to record
on the PVR.

and use ad blockers on the internet......

I don’t bother.

I used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet
adverts on youtube etc were targeted to me....

I see that more with stuff I have searched for on ebay etc.

sick of it all

I don’t actually mind the less obtrusive ads like on facebook.

thank god for the BBC.

I cursed the BBC when I was watching some of
the footage during the riots watched online.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2016 08:36, Broadback wrote:
On 21/11/2016 08:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of
advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn
the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the
internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet
adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the
BBC.

Apart from their own adverts, which run on and on!

They only run at the end of a programme though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2016 08:40, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

[...]

They make some of the best documentaries though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, no argument there and no ads when you don’t
watch them live on one of the operations that has
bought them so you can skip the ads they add.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 08:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the BBC.

Well I cant agree.

Sure the BBC is free of adverts, but its also free of any content but
political propaganda one way or another.

Not worth watching apart from the odd program that slips through - Rugby
internationals perhaps, or a program about Iron age incest...

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

but will companies still be able to survive and flog their stuff if
everybody had adblockers, internet radio and android tv boxes ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 08:43, Bod wrote:
They (BBC) make some of the best documentaries though.

Your use of the present tense is unwarranted.

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 08:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of
advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn
the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the
internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet
adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the
BBC.

Well I cant agree.

Sure the BBC is free of adverts, but its also free of any content but
political propaganda one way or another.

Not worth watching apart from the odd program that slips through - Rugby
internationals perhaps, or a program about Iron age incest...

What!
David Attenborough and Prof Brian Cox docs are brilliant, just to
mention a few.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 08:43, Bod wrote:
They (BBC) make some of the best documentaries though.

Your use of the present tense is unwarranted.

Explain!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2016 08:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....

I agree.

I personaly turn the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the BBC.

I personally turn the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the

internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet

adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for

the BBC.

I pretty much record anything I want to watch, then I can zap through
the adverts.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the BBC.

Advertising is a cancer. Once it gets established it takes over and eventually
destroys the host. Television used to be to "Entertain, Inform and Educate",
now it's just an advertising platform with the programmes as a necessary but
irritating cost. The internet used to be about sharing information and
knowledge, now almost every website is trying to monetize its visitors with
increasingly obnoxious 3rd party adverts. Even sites that have solid revenue
streams have bought in to the scam, similar to how you still get (more and
more) adverts on subscription TV. Why wouldn't they though - it's free money!

Of course advertising pays for a lot of good things. Google earth/streetview
is amazing, and couldn't possibly exist without the $billions of ad revenue
they get. The problem is the greed and deception of the advertising agencies
They've got to have more and more, and it becomes a race to the bottom. The
losers are both the consumers and the generally honest companies paying for
advertising. Is some teenage prat on youtube really giving your company a
good return on your advertising budget? "Of course" say the brokers, Look
at the missions of subscribers they have. In reality, precisely 0.0% of those
subscribers are likely to do anything to give you a return on that investment,
but if the $million you paid only represents 1% of your advertising budget,
and that's only 1% of your profits, it makes sense to "embrace the new media".

One day the whole scam might finally fall apart and internet and TV content
will be decimated. Hopefully whatever's left will have more value than the
steaming pile of click-bait we have now.

Sorry for the babble. Bad cold and too many lemsips. Safer than trying
to write code.

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 08:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
but will companies still be able to survive and flog their stuff if
everybody had adblockers, internet radio and android tv boxes ?

When was the last time you saw an advert for Wellington boots?

Yet Wellington boots are still for sale, and Wellington boot makers are
still in business.

Your view poiint is extraordinary. Almost as extraordinary as the two
teenage girls at a UKIP meeting saying that 'if we left Europe (Sic! Not
the EU, Europe) we 'wouldn't be able to buy stuff'.

The problem is not the manufacturers or the customers, the problem is
that you might have to pay to watch TV. And polit9icvains and the news
media (so called) might actually have to deliver more than carefully
crafted propaganda.

I thought you were old enough to remember the world before MSM and the
wall to wall propaganda that created the 'snowflake' generation.

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

David Attenborough is I am afraid nearly as crap as Brian Cox,

Attenborough doesn't know ant better, but Cox does, and he should be
ashamed of himself punting the global warming ********.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 09:00, David Lang wrote:
[...]

I spend an hour a week stripping adverts from recorded material before
putting it on the house video server.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
but will companies still be able to survive and flog their stuff if
everybody had adblockers, internet radio and android tv boxes ?

When was the last time you saw an advert for Wellington boots?

Yet Wellington boots are still for sale, and Wellington boot makers are
still in business.

Your view poiint is extraordinary. Almost as extraordinary as the two
teenage girls at a UKIP meeting saying that 'if we left Europe (Sic! Not
the EU, Europe) we 'wouldn't be able to buy stuff'.

It would be much more difficult and it would cost more, so, perhaps they
were right.
I had to pay (in Euros) for my sat nav subscription . This was 2 days after
the Brexit vote and it cost me a lot more than it would have done at the
start of that week.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 08:42:18 UTC, Bod wrote:
... thank god for the BBC.

Apart from their own adverts, which run on and on!

They only run at the end of a programme though.

Apart from when the News contains a 'story' that is a very thinly disguised trailer for one of their programmes.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2016 09:06, Ian wrote:

Sorry for the babble. Bad cold and too many lemsips. Safer than trying
to write code.

Too many lemsips doesn't make a person babble, however too many will
kill. Not that you would notice for a few days.
It really is a case of RTFI and make sure you do as it says.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 09:06, Ian wrote:
One day the whole scam might finally fall apart and internet and TV content
will be decimated. Hopefully whatever's left will have more value than the
steaming pile of click-bait we have now.

Sorry for the babble. Bad cold and too many lemsips. Safer than trying
to write code.

100% with you here.

The problem is, who pays?

In days of Yore, BBC licence fee went to teh BBC which was one of only
2-3 available channels. It could guarantee massive audiences, and it did
good stuff.

Then it became one of many, and struggled to be 'relevant' enough to
justify the license fee. Under Blair that meant stuffing itself full of
politically correct propagandists.

Greg dyke, tried, and was sacked for being even handed about the Hutton
enquiry. At that point it was obvious that the advertisers controlled
commercial content, and Tony Blair and the Left controlled the BBC.

Because they are the paymasters, or the ones who control the cash in the
case of the BBC license.

What will in all probability replace them is the likes of Netflix, or
Amazon prime - pay to view content. And the prizes will go to the one's
that provided it advert free.

I make it a rule not to buy stuff I see advertised on TV unless its a
very very special case.

The stupidity is, that with the internet anyone who is genuinely
interested in a given purchase can fund out all they need without being
bombarded with bull****. Or would be if the companies selling would take
the trouble to provide them with facts, rather than image.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

but will companies still be able to survive and flog their stuff if
everybody had adblockers, internet radio and android tv boxes ?

Yep, advertising is useful to them, but isnt essential.

**** all of what I buy is advertised, and I buy it anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

The world IS warming, but it doesn't have anything to do with humans,
it's just a natural cycle. The seas are becoming more acidic as well.
What humans are doing though is slowly destroying our planet with
rubbish/poisoning the ground and over fishing our seas etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The commercial channels are allowed more advert time now, and do not have to
have equal length breaks or equal length parts between ads, targetting them
more toward the good bits in a program.
As for internet, the fight back against ad blockers is in progress. many
sites will now not let you view them unless you turn off your ad blocker.
There are too many ads on web sites, and in my case I want the right to
chuck them out as a perfectly accessible web site can be made totally
unusable to a blind person by inappropriate ad content like animations,
graphis and dynamic content.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the
BBC. ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my case, unless its changed due to me using the word blind and it turning
up in web sites, I constantly got Venetian blind roller blind etc, adverts.
So much for machine intelligence.
Brian

--
----- -

"Bod" wrote in message
On 21/11/2016 08:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising
in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the
tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the
internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet
adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the
BBC.

+1 for the Beeb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian

wrote
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising
in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the
tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......
I used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet
adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the
BBC.

Advertising is a cancer.

Yes.

Once it gets established it takes over and eventually destroys the host.

Nope, hasn’t destroyed TV and it aint gunna either.
Those with even half a clue record it and skip the ads.

Television used to be to "Entertain, Inform and Educate",
now it's just an advertising platform with the programmes
as a necessary but irritating cost.

Even sillier than you usually manage with the BBC alone.

The internet used to be about sharing information and
knowledge, now almost every website is trying to monetize
its visitors with increasingly obnoxious 3rd party adverts.

Not all of them do, most obviously with wikipedia.

And google is still very usable and the ads easy to ignore.

Even sites that have solid revenue streams have bought in to the scam,

Some like the BBC certainly have.

similar to how you still get (more and more) adverts on
subscription TV. Why wouldn't they though - it's free money!

Wikipedia doesn’t.

Of course advertising pays for a lot of good things. Google
earth/streetview
is amazing, and couldn't possibly exist without the $billions of ad
revenue
they get. The problem is the greed and deception of the advertising
agencies
They've got to have more and more, and it becomes a race to the bottom.

Not with wikipedia it isnt. It isnt alone either.

The losers are both the consumers

Not when its so easy to skip the ads.

and the generally honest companies paying for advertising. Is some
teenage prat on youtube really giving your company a good return
on your advertising budget? "Of course" say the brokers, Look at the
missions of subscribers they have. In reality, precisely 0.0% of those
subscribers are likely to do anything to give you a return on that
investment,
but if the $million you paid only represents 1% of your advertising
budget,
and that's only 1% of your profits, it makes sense to "embrace the new
media".

And yet some like wikipedia don’t bother.

One day the whole scam might finally fall apart

Not a chance.

and internet and TV content will be decimated.

Not a chance while ever the BBC and others are funded otherwise.

Hopefully whatever's left will have more value
than the steaming pile of click-bait we have now.

wikipedia is nothing even remotely like that.

Neither is facebook either.

Sorry for the babble. Bad cold and too many
lemsips. Safer than trying to write code.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
but will companies still be able to survive and flog their stuff if
everybody had adblockers, internet radio and android tv boxes ?

When was the last time you saw an advert for Wellington boots?

Yet Wellington boots are still for sale, and Wellington boot makers are
still in business.

Your view poiint is extraordinary. Almost as extraordinary as the two
teenage girls at a UKIP meeting saying that 'if we left Europe (Sic! Not
the EU, Europe) we 'wouldn't be able to buy stuff'.

It would be much more difficult

Nope.

and it would cost more,

Plenty would cost less without EU tariffs and dutys.

so, perhaps they were right.

Nope.

I had to pay (in Euros) for my sat nav subscription .

More fool you...

This was 2 days after the Brexit vote and it cost me a lot
more than it would have done at the start of that week.

And other stuff will be cheaper once Britain has left the EU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

That is ******** too.

You could just as easily say that the coal fields of today are the
result of giant plants destroying the plant and taking all the good CO2
out of the air and turning it into the toxic waste of coal and oxygen.

Man is just another species, and it is in the nature of species to
expand in the niche environment for which they are suited, and then die
when they have exhausted it. Species all compete: for one to be
successful, others must die.

I'll repeat that, in case you missed the point.

Man is just another species.
The ecosystem is never 'in balance'
The cheque isn't in the post
I won't love you in the morning
I WILL come in your mouth....

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 09:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
In my case, unless its changed due to me using the word blind and it turning
up in web sites, I constantly got Venetian blind roller blind etc, adverts.
So much for machine intelligence.
Brian

And you thought 'golden rain' was a sort of firework...

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suppose trolls need to eat too...

On 2016-11-21, Rod Speed wrote:

Nope, hasnt destroyed TV and it aint gunna either.
Those with even half a clue record it and skip the ads.

It has certainly destroyed ITV from my pov. I can't tolerate
watching it live, and there's so little worth watching I don't
bother recording. The decent stuff is usually available on disc
(eventually) or elsewhere.

Even sillier than you usually manage with the BBC alone.
And google is still very usable and the ads easy to ignore.
Some like the BBC certainly have.
Wikipedia doesnt.
Not with wikipedia it isnt. It isnt alone either.
And yet some like wikipedia dont bother.
Not a chance while ever the BBC and others are funded otherwise.
wikipedia is nothing even remotely like that.

Yes, there are exceptions. The BBC certainly should be, but as
others have said it has it's own problems. Google are still being
sensible enough not to kill the golden goose. Yet. Wikipedia is
a true community effort, what the internet should be (and I know
it's far from perfect).

Neither is facebook either.

I block facebook at layer 3. That's a different kind of evil.

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, dennis home wrote:

Too many lemsips doesn't make a person babble, however too many will
kill. Not that you would notice for a few days.
It really is a case of RTFI and make sure you do as it says.

The sleep deprivation does, and can make death look attractive. (Yes,
I have RTFI, and know not to even look at a packet of paracetamol while
taking them...)

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 10:45, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

Indeed - I feel quesy today anyway and that last thing I wanted was a
visual of TNP's wrinkly old old-man

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 11:46, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/11/16 10:45, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

Neatly diverted from the point at issue (which passed you by at 30,000
feet) to an ad hominem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
The commercial channels are allowed more advert time now, and do not have
to have equal length breaks or equal length parts between ads, targetting
them more toward the good bits in a program.

and don't I know it !...pathetic the amount.....

As for internet, the fight back against ad blockers is in progress. many
sites will now not let you view them unless you turn off your ad blocker.

I just turn off their site......

There are too many ads on web sites, and in my case I want the right to
chuck them out as a perfectly accessible web site can be made totally
unusable to a blind person by inappropriate ad content like animations,
graphis and dynamic content.
Brian

very true ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed posted

Nope, hasnt destroyed TV and it aint gunna either.
Those with even half a clue record it and skip the ads.

But eventually they'll find a means to stop you doing that. They already
have on catch-up TV here.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 10:45, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

I wasn't attacking *you*

I was attacking your old man. Does it have feelings?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 10:45, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

I dunno. I never asked it.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising
in the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn
the tv and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the
internet......I used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on
the internet adverts on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it
all thank god for the BBC. ......

Seems to be because so many these days expect things for free. Music and
films being the obvious example. Without realising someone somewhere has
'paid' to make them. And can only make more by recovering those costs.

So all that happens is the way you pay for them in the end is hidden in
some way.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.