Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV radio and internet advertising......

Rod Speed formulated on Monday :
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....

I dont find that, there are still a few ads that are worth watching a few
times.

I agree - never mind the product they are trying to sell - that just
doesn't register with my consciousness, some of them can be quite
amusing.

No idea of the product, but the one with the animals bouncing on the
bouncy thing, whilst the dog looked on, was quite amusing the first few
times.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
No idea of the product, but the one with the animals bouncing on the
bouncy thing, whilst the dog looked on, was quite amusing the first few
times.

There's always a competition at Xmas to produce entertaining ads. And at
least they have a limited life.

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 15:27:51 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Rod Speed formulated on Monday :
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....

I dont find that, there are still a few ads that are worth watching a few
times.

I agree - never mind the product they are trying to sell - that just
doesn't register with my consciousness, some of them can be quite
amusing.

No idea of the product, but the one with the animals bouncing on the
bouncy thing, whilst the dog looked on, was quite amusing the first few
times.

John Lewis.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...?v=sr6lr_VRsEo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 15:27:51 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
No idea of the product, but the one with the animals bouncing on the
bouncy thing, whilst the dog looked on, was quite amusing the first few
times.

The one with the fox and the badger?

I'm not sure if that's the Cuddly Animals Coalition or the Country Sports Alliance.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-21, David Lang wrote:

[22 lines snipped]

I pretty much record anything I want to watch, then I can zap through
the adverts.

This.

Also set the steps to 1 min. forward, 15 sec. back.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 17:46:13 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I'm not sure if that's the Cuddly Animals Coalition or the Country Sports Alliance.

Waitrose. They spend a huge amount every year on the Xmas Ad.

So they can give me loads of free money.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwj8kDUWQAAWfFV.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Handsome Jack wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Nope, hasnt destroyed TV and it aint gunna either.
Those with even half a clue record it and skip the ads.

But eventually they'll find a means to stop you doing that.

Nope, not even possible.

They already have on catch-up TV here.

But can't stop you muting the sound during the ad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 21/11/16 11:46, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/11/16 10:45, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of
advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly
turn
the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the
internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the
internet
adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god
for
the
BBC.

Well I cant agree.

Sure the BBC is free of adverts, but its also free of any content
but
political propaganda one way or another.

Not worth watching apart from the odd program that slips through -
Rugby
internationals perhaps, or a program about Iron age incest...

What!
David Attenborough and Prof Brian Cox docs are brilliant, just to
mention a few.

David Attenborough is I am afraid nearly as crap as Brian Cox,

Attenborough doesn't know ant better, but Cox does, and he should be
ashamed of himself punting the global warming ********.

The world IS warming, but it doesn't have anything to do with humans,
it's just a natural cycle. The seas are becoming more acidic as well.
What humans are doing though is slowly destroying our planet with
rubbish/poisoning the ground and over fishing our seas etc.

That is ******** too.

You could just as easily say that the coal fields of today are the
result of giant plants destroying the plant and taking all the good
CO2
out of the air and turning it into the toxic waste of coal and oxygen.

Man is just another species, and it is in the nature of species to
expand in the niche environment for which they are suited, and then
die
when they have exhausted it. Species all compete: for one to be
successful, others must die.

I'll repeat that, in case you missed the point.

Man is just another species.
The ecosystem is never 'in balance'
The cheque isn't in the post
I won't love you in the morning
I WILL come in your mouth....

Ergh!!! ;-)

Indeed - I feel quesy today anyway and that last thing I wanted was a
visual of TNP's wrinkly old old-man'

Neatly diverted from the point at issue (which passed you by at 30,000
feet) to an ad hominem.

I wasn't attacking *you*

I was attacking your old man. Does it have feelings?

Corse it does, why do you 'think' it shrivelled up and died ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 09:43:48 UTC, Bod wrote:

Attenborough doesn't know ant better, but Cox does, and he should be
ashamed of himself punting the global warming ********.

The world IS warming, but it doesn't have anything to do with humans,
it's just a natural cycle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxyofVMXcAAmIdb.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 08:52:30 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Sure the BBC is free of adverts.

BBC has an audience of 370000000 and BBC World has loads of adverts and sponsored programmes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising
in the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....

I dont find that, there are still a few ads that are worth watching a
few times.

I agree - never mind the product they are trying to sell - that just
doesn't register with my consciousness, some of them can be quite amusing.

Yeah, I couldnt actually find any of the best of ours on youtube.

'Dads for kids' is one of them, someone has some real skill at getting
kids to do what they want them to do for the camera, particularly the
little kid pushing his toy lawnmower alongside his dad with a real one
and the one who bounces in the air when heading into the surf.

And that ants pants ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrOWhxA46Q

No idea of the product, but the one with the animals bouncing on the
bouncy thing, whilst the dog looked on, was quite amusing the first few
times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Rod Speed formulated on Monday :
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising
in the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....

I dont find that, there are still a few ads that are worth watching a
few times.

I agree - never mind the product they are trying to sell - that just
doesn't register with my consciousness, some of them can be quite amusing.

No idea of the product, but the one with the animals bouncing on the
bouncy thing, whilst the dog looked on, was quite amusing the first few
times.

Yeah, one hell of an ad. Love to know how they did
it, particularly with the boxer and its tongue etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 19:02:24 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Monday, 21 November 2016 09:43:48 UTC, Bod wrote:

Attenborough doesn't know ant better, but Cox does, and he should be
ashamed of himself punting the global warming ********.

The world IS warming, but it doesn't have anything to do with humans,
it's just a natural cycle.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxyofVMXcAAmIdb.jpg

I can't take anything written in that font seriously.

--
Doctor: "Ask the accident victim his name so we can notify his family."
Nurse: "I did! He said his family already knows his name."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 10:00:35 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

That assumes it's my mouth doing the titillating.

--
A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:46:49 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 21/11/16 10:45, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

How can somebody's cock be older than themselves?

--
A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/16 10:45, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 09:43, Bod wrote:
On 21/11/16 08:56, Bod wrote:
[...]

They tend to be more sensitive than everything else.

--
Dancing cheektocheek is really a form of floor play.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 08:33:31 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 21/11/2016 08:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising in
the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....I personaly turn the tv
and radio down when ads come on and use ad blockers on the internet......I
used to wonder why if I searched for a type of car on the internet adverts
on youtube etc were targeted to me....sick of it all thank god for the BBC.

+1 for the Beeb.

The bbc STEAL money from people. You pay the BBC to watch Sky. Tell me why you incorrectly believe this is ok?

--
Once you've seen one shopping centre, you've seen a mall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do not see ads on the internet. Adblock rules. **** the advertisers.

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 09:47:26 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

In my case, unless its changed due to me using the word blind and it turning
up in web sites, I constantly got Venetian blind roller blind etc, adverts.
So much for machine intelligence.
Brian

--
Heard on a public transportation vehicle while in Orlando:
"When you exit this vehicle, please be sure to lower your head and watch your step."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Ian

wrote:
Advertising is a cancer. Once it gets established it takes over and
eventually destroys the host. Television used to be to "Entertain,
Inform and Educate", now it's just an advertising platform with the
programmes as a necessary but irritating cost.

Perhaps you don't know history, but ITV started in the mid 1950s. Called
by one of its owners, 'A licence to print money' And the competition also
kicked the BBC into making better programmes.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 00:22:08 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

The bbc STEAL money from people. You pay the BBC to watch Sky. Tell me why you incorrectly believe this is ok?

When I was in hospital for 4 months, the poxy TV gantry was £50pm, plus I was paying £60pm to Sky at home and yet the BBC was only £10pm.

THE HOSPITAL ONE WAS PAID OUT OF THE £350pm NI I WAS STILL PAYING VIA BP's SICK PAY.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-22, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Ian

wrote:
Advertising is a cancer. Once it gets established it takes over and
eventually destroys the host. Television used to be to "Entertain,
Inform and Educate", now it's just an advertising platform with the
programmes as a necessary but irritating cost.

Perhaps you don't know history, but ITV started in the mid 1950s. Called
by one of its owners, 'A licence to print money' And the competition also
kicked the BBC into making better programmes.

Oh, I know history, and count the launch of ITV as the point of infection.
Of course in the early days it was good, as with the internet the money
from advertising helped produce some real gems (cf. google earth), and
as you say the competition was beneficial. But eventually the greed takes
over from the well-intentioned, and they're now on the way to being as bad
as American TV - a constant stream of adverts interrupted by brief segments
of programme (with overlay adverts just to get an extra few cents...).

And now the BBC seems to be competing to be as /bad/ as ITV...

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Ian

wrote:
Perhaps you don't know history, but ITV started in the mid 1950s.
Called by one of its owners, 'A licence to print money' And the
competition also kicked the BBC into making better programmes.

Oh, I know history, and count the launch of ITV as the point of
infection.

Would that be in Little England, given many countries only had commercial
broadcasting?

Of course in the early days it was good, as with the internet
the money from advertising helped produce some real gems (cf. google
earth), and as you say the competition was beneficial. But eventually
the greed takes over from the well-intentioned, and they're now on the
way to being as bad as American TV - a constant stream of adverts
interrupted by brief segments of programme (with overlay adverts just to
get an extra few cents...).

The greed came from the UK goverment. Allowing more TV channels to
increase their income from TV. And, of course, the mantra that competition
always brings a better service for the customer. Which surely can't be
wrong?

And now the BBC seems to be competing to be as /bad/ as ITV...

But a free for all approach is exactly what the majority on here want?
Never mind the quality - feel the width.

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 11:25:52 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Ian

wrote:
[...]

I just about remmebr that program beign on the TV mum and dad gettign ready to watch it was quite an event it seemed, something special can't understand why it wasn't even coour or in HD let alone HDR 4K ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But a free for all approach is exactly what the majority on here want?
Never mind the quality - feel the width.

I just about remmebr that program beign on the TV mum and dad gettign
ready to watch it was quite an event it seemed, something special can't
understand why it wasn't even coour or in HD let alone HDR 4K ;-)

For many colour and HD are far more important than the programme content.

--
*ONE NICE THING ABOUT EGOTISTS: THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 12:22:32 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But a free for all approach is exactly what the majority on here want?
Never mind the quality - feel the width.

I just about remmebr that program beign on the TV mum and dad gettign
ready to watch it was quite an event it seemed, something special can't
understand why it wasn't even coour or in HD let alone HDR 4K ;-)

For many colour and HD are far more important than the programme content.

yes I was hinting at that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 06:12:51 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 00:22:08 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

The bbc STEAL money from people. You pay the BBC to watch Sky. Tell me why you incorrectly believe this is ok?

When I was in hospital for 4 months, the poxy TV gantry was £50pm, plus I was paying £60pm to Sky at home and yet the BBC was only £10pm..

But you could have cancelled the Sky, you can't cancel BBC.

THE HOSPITAL ONE WAS PAID OUT OF THE £350pm NI I WAS STILL PAYING VIA BP's SICK PAY.

--
I'm not as drunk as thinkle may peep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 16:32:39 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 06:12:51 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 00:22:08 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

The bbc STEAL money from people. You pay the BBC to watch Sky. Tell me why you incorrectly believe this is ok?

When I was in hospital for 4 months, the poxy TV gantry was £50pm, plus I was paying £60pm to Sky at home and yet the BBC was only £10pm.

But you could have cancelled the Sky, you can't cancel BBC.

TELL ME HOW TO CANCEL SKY FROM A HDU BED IN HOSPITAL.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 17:44:01 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 16:32:39 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 06:12:51 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 00:22:08 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

The bbc STEAL money from people. You pay the BBC to watch Sky. Tell me why you incorrectly believe this is ok?

When I was in hospital for 4 months, the poxy TV gantry was £50pm, plus I was paying £60pm to Sky at home and yet the BBC was only £10pm.

But you could have cancelled the Sky, you can't cancel BBC.

TELL ME HOW TO CANCEL SKY FROM A HDU BED IN HOSPITAL.

On your laptop/phone/tablet. But then your wife was using it.

Anyway, this is not about your particular situation, but about everyone paying the BBC, even those who only watch Sky channels. It's downright theft. Sky don't get paid when you watch BBC1. Tesco don't get paid when you buy things in Asda.

--
"A life without danger is a life not worth living" -- Moist von Lipwig
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The bbc STEAL money from people. You pay the BBC to watch Sky. Tell
me why you incorrectly believe this is ok?

When I was in hospital for 4 months, the poxy TV gantry was £50pm, plus
I was paying £60pm to Sky at home and yet the BBC was only £10pm.

But you could have cancelled the Sky, you can't cancel BBC.

TELL ME HOW TO CANCEL SKY FROM A HDU BED IN HOSPITAL.

YOU GET SOMEONE WHO YOU KNOW TO DO THAT FOR YOU, STUPID.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:45:44 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Anyway, this is not about your particular situation, but about everyone
paying the BBC, even those who only watch Sky channels. It's downright
theft.

It's 'cos they make such terrible programs. They'd never survive in the
real world having to compete with channels that make far more interesting
stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is interesting is a personal opinion. But the simple fact remains, nobody should ever be able to ****charge somebody for consuming a competitor's product****. If you can't grasp this simple concept, you're a ****ing clueless twit.

--
There are 18.6 million vacant homes in the United States, enough for every homeless person to have 6 each.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 22:00:59 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

What is interesting is a personal opinion. But the simple fact remains,
nobody should ever be able to ****charge somebody for consuming a
competitor's product****. If you can't grasp this simple concept,
you're a ****ing clueless twit.

I know! You'd have thought there would be some law against it somewhere!
I believe Jefferson came up with a quote that brilliantly summarised this
issue long before the Beeb was born.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are 18.6 million vacant homes in the United States, enough for every
homeless person to have 6 each.

....but...they are all in Detroit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 19:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

TELL ME HOW TO CANCEL SKY FROM A HDU BED IN HOSPITAL.

YOU GET SOMEONE WHO YOU KNOW TO DO THAT FOR YOU, STUPID.

I WAS IN AN INDUCED COMA AND COULDN'T REMEMBER MY PASSWORD, DOB OR POSTCODE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 19:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

TELL ME HOW TO CANCEL SKY FROM A HDU BED IN HOSPITAL.

YOU GET SOMEONE WHO YOU KNOW TO DO THAT FOR YOU, STUPID.

I WAS IN AN INDUCED COMA AND COULDN'T REMEMBER MY PASSWORD, DOB OR
POSTCODE.

ALL COMPLETELY TRIVIAL FOR ANYONE WITH EVEN HALF A CLUE TO WORK OUT.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 09:26:44 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 19:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

TELL ME HOW TO CANCEL SKY FROM A HDU BED IN HOSPITAL.

YOU GET SOMEONE WHO YOU KNOW TO DO THAT FOR YOU, STUPID.

I WAS IN AN INDUCED COMA AND COULDN'T REMEMBER MY PASSWORD, DOB OR POSTCODE.

Why would you want to watch TV while in that state ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 19:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

TELL ME HOW TO CANCEL SKY FROM A HDU BED IN HOSPITAL.

YOU GET SOMEONE WHO YOU KNOW TO DO THAT FOR YOU, STUPID.

I WAS IN AN INDUCED COMA AND COULDN'T REMEMBER MY PASSWORD, DOB OR
POSTCODE.

I know I'm going to regret this, but why pay for TV services you couldn't
use, then?

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 21/11/2016, Rod Speed supposed :

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Rod Speed formulated on Monday :
Is it just me or were we able to tolerate a small amount of advertising
in the past but now the quantity is unacceptible .....

I dont find that, there are still a few ads that are worth watching a few
times.

I agree - never mind the product they are trying to sell - that just
doesn't register with my consciousness, some of them can be quite amusing.

No idea of the product, but the one with the animals bouncing on the bouncy
thing, whilst the dog looked on, was quite amusing the first few times.

Yeah, one hell of an ad. Love to know how they did
it, particularly with the boxer and its tongue etc.

CGI, none of the animals are real ones. It is good, but you can just
about tell it is CGI if you look close enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 10:55:28 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 09:26:44 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 19:29:17 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

TELL ME HOW TO CANCEL SKY FROM A HDU BED IN HOSPITAL.

YOU GET SOMEONE WHO YOU KNOW TO DO THAT FOR YOU, STUPID.

I WAS IN AN INDUCED COMA AND COULDN'T REMEMBER MY PASSWORD, DOB OR POSTCODE.

Why would you want to watch TV while in that state ?

Well, after a month I started enjoying DOND with Noel as we fans like to call him.