Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bonfires

The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste, so now we have to rent wheelie
bins. Although you can rent more than one, and we'll get a couple,
there's a limit to how many dirty great bins you can have around the
place, and I reckon that 2 weeks of cutting our grass will probably fill
one of them. We also 'employ' a gardener (yup, it's a pretty big
garden). Although he's getting on a bit, he still seems to be able to
cut down a lot of stuff in teh few hours he's here.
The obvious solution (which most people will take) is, unfortunately, to
burn the excess, as the last thing I want is to accumulate piles of
rat-infested compost heaps that never get used.
So....What's the best arrangement for burnign garden waste? Obviously,
it needs a bit of time to dry out first, but this can be reduced by
getting a good blaze going. My first thought was/is a galvanised
incinerator bin but before I get one, I thought someone here might have
some insight.

Cheers chaps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2014 20:12, GMM wrote:

The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste, so now we have to rent wheelie
bins. Although you can rent more than one, and we'll get a couple,
there's a limit to how many dirty great bins you can have around the
place, and I reckon that 2 weeks of cutting our grass will probably fill
one of them. We also 'employ' a gardener (yup, it's a pretty big
garden). Although he's getting on a bit, he still seems to be able to
cut down a lot of stuff in teh few hours he's here.

A single grass cut would fill mine, but I use it to make leaf mould and
compost everything. If you have a decent amount of stuff to add at once
it will be a hot heap and nothing bad will be willing to live in it
apart form the odd slow worm or grass snake on the edges.

The obvious solution (which most people will take) is, unfortunately, to
burn the excess, as the last thing I want is to accumulate piles of
rat-infested compost heaps that never get used.

It shouldn't be rat infested unless you put food waste on it. And a few
cubic yards of good home made compost is always useful in the garden.

So....What's the best arrangement for burnign garden waste? Obviously,
it needs a bit of time to dry out first, but this can be reduced by
getting a good blaze going. My first thought was/is a galvanised
incinerator bin but before I get one, I thought someone here might have
some insight.

Cheers chaps

Wait until it is tinder dry, build an open bonfire and then torch it on
a fairly still day with the wind blowing away from your neighbours.

I tend to do this only for diseased wood that I don't want on my compost
heap. Everything else gets composted. The only thing is that you want a
hot compost heap away from the house because it smells a bit funny for a
few days after adding bulk material due to short chain fatty acids (or
oil of wintergreen with lots of pine needles and bark).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 03/03/2014 20:12, GMM wrote:

[...]

+1 but traditionally it's bad form to light a bonfire of a Monday.
Galvanised incinerator bins are a waste of money. An open fire works well.
Better still a fire pit.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2014 21:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

Suspicious? Hmm...I thought I was the cynical one! Birmingham here, so
not directly related, presumably.

I can only assume the business plan didn't work out. As I understood
it, the council sold the rights to collect garden waste to a commercial
set-up who would turn it into compost and sell it back to us all. The
problem presumably is that everyone chucks a lot of stuff out but nobody
buys any compost, as anyone who's interested makes their own.

So now they're charging everyone for something they used to get for free
and it's pretty clear that the skies around here will be full of bonfire
smoke once the summer starts as there seems no other reasonable way to
get rid of stuff. I'm just trying to be pragmatic and get a system
before it's s crisis. In my last place, the compost heap just grew and
I'd rather avoid repeating that.

Despite the criticisms (interesting to read) of galvanised incinerators,
there might well be a little business in cornering the market in them
just now (for anyone who's that way inclined).

Sounds like it's time to dig a hole....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

So....What's the best arrangement for burnign garden waste? Obviously,
it needs a bit of time to dry out first, but this can be reduced by
getting a good blaze going. My first thought was/is a galvanised
incinerator bin but before I get one, I thought someone here might have
some insight.

One of my neighbours has one, I think it's the only one in the 500 or
so properties here. After enjoying the fruits of its operation, I've
come to the conclusion that it isn't an 'incinerator', it's a
'pyroliser'. 'Incinerators' run at 1000 degrees with maximum airflow
through the mass. The output is mostly CO2 and water vapour.

'Pyrolisers' run at much lower temperatures, and by dint of having
only a few 1" diameter air-holes at the base, and a very short chimney
in the lid, they decompose the mass under heat essentially in the
absence of oxygen, the output being a random collection of smoke and a
gazillion organic compounds that smell bad, cling to clothes and
furniture, and irritate eyes and lungs. Due to the lack of combustion,
a modest amount of mass in the pyroliser can smoulder for days, with
the potential to cause annoyance all the way to next weekend's
reload. His young children will doubtless continue to enjoy the
delights of a now dioxin-contaminated garden as the weather
improves.

The last time he used it, to burn some tannelised timber (which
contains arsenic), we had to ask him to put it out as the smell was
getting past the closed windows, doors, and vents. On the hottest day
of the year. We're thinking of moving.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

Suspicious? Hmm...I thought I was the cynical one! Birmingham here, so
not directly related, presumably.

I can only assume the business plan didn't work out. As I understood
it, the council sold the rights to collect garden waste to a commercial
set-up who would turn it into compost and sell it back to us all. The
problem presumably is that everyone chucks a lot of stuff out but nobody
buys any compost, as anyone who's interested makes their own.

In Belgium they essentially give away their green bin generated compost
to anyone who wants it. You just bring along empty bag(s) on the
appropriate day in your local town square usually coinciding with a
plant fair. It makes reasonable sense to compost green waste in bulk.
The larger volumes increase the heat and speed up the process.

I have had my compost heaps 2m cubes get to smouldering internally once
or twice leaving only grey ash. Most times the internal temperature
peaks at 70-80C and then cools down again.

So now they're charging everyone for something they used to get for free
and it's pretty clear that the skies around here will be full of bonfire
smoke once the summer starts as there seems no other reasonable way to
get rid of stuff. I'm just trying to be pragmatic and get a system
before it's s crisis. In my last place, the compost heap just grew and
I'd rather avoid repeating that.

There shouldn't be much smoke at all from a well laid bonfire - only
flames and lots of them. The material you burn should be tinder dry
before you start a couple of weeks sunshine for light weight material.

Despite the criticisms (interesting to read) of galvanised incinerators,
there might well be a little business in cornering the market in them
just now (for anyone who's that way inclined).

If you must have a monstrosity for burning stuff in then the heavy iron
wire framed things seem to work better and last a decent length of time.
Galvanised steel bins don't survive long after being used.

Sounds like it's time to dig a hole....

If you have a garden large enough to fill a couple of green bins then
you should be able to make and use the compost. Unless of course your
garden consists entirely of manicured lawn and nothing else.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

Suspicious? Hmm...I thought I was the cynical one! Birmingham here, so
not directly related, presumably.

I can only assume the business plan didn't work out. As I understood
it, the council sold the rights to collect garden waste to a commercial
set-up who would turn it into compost and sell it back to us all. The
problem presumably is that everyone chucks a lot of stuff out but nobody
buys any compost, as anyone who's interested makes their own.

In Belgium they essentially give away their green bin generated compost
to anyone who wants it.

Same here in Cambridgeshire, if you turn up where they compost it and take
it away yourself (or pay skip hire to have it delivered).
http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/env...educe/faqs.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2014 23:26, Terry Fields wrote:
GMM wrote:

[...]

So do I discern you may not be a great fan of fires? Well, me neither
but in the circumstances it looks like the only solution, which was why
I posed the question, essentially to determine what the best system is
for having a good hot fire on a regular basis to get rid of all the
stuff that never stops growing.
So far as I can make out, it's perfectly legal to burn it, but I'd
prefer not to make it a nuisance, although I suspect that there will be
plenty of people who don't give a monkey's, so my contribution, better
or worse, will be a drop in the ocean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

[...]

errr...no!

Well, me neither but in the circumstances it looks like the only solution, which was why
I posed the question, essentially to determine what the best system is
for having a good hot fire on a regular basis to get rid of all the
stuff that never stops growing.
So far as I can make out, it's perfectly legal to burn it, but I'd
prefer not to make it a nuisance, although I suspect that there will be
plenty of people who don't give a monkey's, so my contribution, better
or worse, will be a drop in the ocean.

What I was trying to flag up is the fact that dustbin-based
'incinerators' aren't, and give all sorts of problems. Others have
mentioned in this thread that basket/mesh-type incinerators exist at
much the same cost, and these are *much* more likely to burn stuff
rather than merely decompose it to something akin to
cigarette smoke.

I'd suggest (among other possible considerations) that in the
absence of alternatives, burning stuff that's been dried, not
overloading the incinerator but feeding it as necessary, and damping
down at the end will probably be the best neighbour-friendly approach.

The stuff in my neighbour's pyroliser has finally stopped smouldering
after 3 full days, and I can now open the bathroom window again
without enjoying coughing, spluttering, and stinging eyes. However,
there's a possibly fine-weather weekend on the way, so we'll be
standing by for more of the same.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 3, 2014 8:12:45 PM UTC, GMM wrote:
[...]

Compost heaps are only rat infested if cooked food waste is put in.
A good gardener can't get enough compost. I get my neighbours stuff as well as my own.
I also shred hedge trimmings/branches.
You won't burn grass cuttings in any meaningful way and they rot down to almost nothing in the compost heap.
You need to take time to construct a proper compost heap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

As has ours (South Gloucestershire).

I'm told they've had lawyers working out exactly what kinds of waste the
council is and is not legally obliged to collect. They've found that
they're not legally obliged to collect garden waste, so they've decided
no longer to include that service in the council tax that we pay.

I'd anticipated fly-tipping of garden waste (which used to be a problem
round here before we had the green bins). I hadn't thought about the
increase in bonfires preventing washing from being hung up outdoors :-(

--
Danny Colyer
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2014 17:21, dave wrote:
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 20:12:45 +0000, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:

[...]

Just to report same here in S.E. Notts. The LT charge £10 for a new
(brown) bin (that's bins No 3). Plus they want £30 pa to have it
collected every 2 weeks during "the season". I can see fly-tipping on
the increase rsn - not by me I hasten to add. This is the bits 'n
pieces approach that seems to have been discovered big time. eg
Airline co's charges are now broken into many parts that add up to a
lot more that a mere airticket. The NHS is probably the Meister of
this approach. Councils are doing a similar thing by splitting various
tasks off from the Council charges (while not reducing it of course)
and charging us for each one (yes - we had them 'for free' before -
not)

I couldn't agree more although, having said that, I don't really mind
paying, it's more the impracticality of the new arangement that's a
pain. I can't see everyone suddenly being happy to spend their weekends
queuing for the tip with a car full of smelly garden waste (not to
mention all that CO2 spewing out of their car engines while they wait!).
The alternatives are either fly-tipping, as you point out, making the
garden into a huge compost heap and burning, which is the 'traditional'
approach.
The other possibility is to scrape the garden bare and have it tarmaced....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Nick" writes:
Galvanised incinerator bins are a waste of money. An open fire works well.
Better still a fire pit.

I use one - I don't have anywhere to have a bonfire which wouldn't
leave a big hole in the lawn. I have 4 paving slabs which I put
down in a square on the lawn, raised one brick up, and the incinerator
sits in the middle. The paving slabs protect the lawn from heat as
the bin glows red hot (wetting the paving slabs it a good idea too).

Huge's comment about the zinc melting off is true - I keep mine in
the shed when not in use - it's about 15 years old now and still
fine. Probably only used about ~10 times though.

Get one with max ventilation at the bottom you can find. Mine has
a slit all the way around (so the ash can fall out, but it's also
a vent) and a large hole in the middle of the base as an inverted
funnel. I keep meaning to put a ring of holes around the sides a
few inches up so it burns better at the sides when it's choked
with ash after a long run. Some come with these.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

As has ours (South Gloucestershire).

I'm told they've had lawyers working out exactly what kinds of waste the
council is and is not legally obliged to collect. They've found that
they're not legally obliged to collect garden waste, so they've decided
no longer to include that service in the council tax that we pay.

I'd anticipated fly-tipping of garden waste (which used to be a problem
round here before we had the green bins). I hadn't thought about the
increase in bonfires preventing washing from being hung up outdoors :-(

There was a bod from the council talking about stopping collecting
garden waste on the radio. His comment was that they and some other
councils found you can only stop collecting about half of it. The
other half ends up in the other binds and fly-tipped, and it's very
borderline if you can actually save any money because it's much more
expensive to deal with when it's in the wrong place.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2014 20:13, GMM wrote:

I couldn't agree more although, having said that, I don't really mind
paying, it's more the impracticality of the new arangement that's a
pain. I can't see everyone suddenly being happy to spend their weekends
queuing for the tip with a car full of smelly garden waste (not to
mention all that CO2 spewing out of their car engines while they wait!).

I quite like the smell of newly cut grass. I wouldn't be keen to carry
it in my car though since some would always escape.

The alternatives are either fly-tipping, as you point out, making the
garden into a huge compost heap and burning, which is the 'traditional'
approach.

I don't see what the problem is with having a compost heap in a larger
garden. I have three heaps about 2m cube for a garden of about 1/3 acre.

The other possibility is to scrape the garden bare and have it tarmaced....

You will have the planners on you like a ton of bricks - it cannot be
made impermeable like that they are already struggling with people
tarmacing gardens causing fast runoff and flash flooding in storms.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

As has ours (South Gloucestershire).

I'm told they've had lawyers working out exactly what kinds of waste the
council is and is not legally obliged to collect. They've found that
they're not legally obliged to collect garden waste, so they've decided
no longer to include that service in the council tax that we pay.

Someone isn't doing the sums.
The local councils have to meet recycling targets, these are a
percentage and recycled garden waste counts towards it.
If they don't meet the targets they face extra costs.

Of course it maybe that they just can't recycle enough of the other
stuff to meet the targets even with the garden waste so they have given
up and are going to pay the penalty anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 12:55:26 PM UTC, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 20:12:45 +0000, GMM wrote:

[...]

You do know that in the FAQ about Birminghams new "service" it's pointed

out that it's a statutory nuisance to light a bonfire ?

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/greenwaste

Another link:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Sate...FInlineWrapper
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:54:54 +0000, dave wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:14:56 +0000, dave wrote:

Re planning: If only that were true Martin. Around here (a flood plane

Or even a plain :-)

Planely an easy mistake to make, as I have just demonstrated. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:55:26 +0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately that link generates a 404 error.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johny B Good wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

in the FAQ about Birminghams new "service" it's pointed
out that it's a statutory nuisance to light a bonfire ?
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/greenwaste

Unfortunately that link generates a 404 error.

THough it seems they can't do anything about the lighting of a single
bonfire only "frequent" ones ...

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=SystemAdmin%2FCFPag eLayout&cid=1223092715908&packedargs=website%3D4&p agename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FCFWrapper&renderm ode=live

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2014 12:55, Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

That link doesn't work for me but BCC's view on bonfires seems to depend
on which page you read. Elsewhere, they give advice on what to burn and
not to burn and to point out that there are no specified times.

They do say it's an offence to cause a statutory nuisance by lighting a
bonfire on one of their FAQs about green waste, but not that a bonfire
is necessarily, in itself, a statutory nuisance. presumably, they
phrase it that way to be accurate whilst appearing to warn people off as
they are concerned about the consequences of their new approach.

Like everything on their site, a mess of inconsistency and broken links.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Find out if you have a community compost scheme near you.

It is criminal to burn garden waste.
I love grass clippings on my allotment. Either as a mulch or for
composting as a layer in the heap.
Supposed to make the best compost ever with newspaper.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 11:03, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 19:01:12 +0000, GMM wrote:

[...]

If only they hadn't bought a cheap and proven CMS system, and actually
invested £2.8 million on writing their own. *Then* it would work OK.

Oh, hang on ....

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...rmingham-city-
council-website-99370

£28,000 would have been excessive.

No wonder they don't have any resources to pick up the green waste.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 16:36, mogga wrote:
[...]

You're very welcome to come and pick all mine up, any time!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2014 20:12, GMM wrote:
[...]

So yesterday was green waste day and there were very few wheelie bins
(apart from mine) out on our street. Quite a few green bags though,
which were dutifully ignore by the collectors.
Came home in the evening to a heavy scent of bonfire in the air. It
might have been a coincidence but probably not...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2014 18:37, GMM wrote:

Snip

So yesterday was green waste day and there were very few wheelie bins
(apart from mine) out on our street. Quite a few green bags though,
which were dutifully ignore by the collectors.
Came home in the evening to a heavy scent of bonfire in the air. It
might have been a coincidence but probably not...

The bin men round here are a contrary lot. Being away quite a bit I
generate very little general waste (perhaps 1 or 2 carrier bags worth)
and to prevent food waste going rancid usually put the bin out
containing these one or 2 carrier bags. One day I was at home and
observed the operatives lift the lid of my bin, extract the bags and
throw them in the lorry. So next time having only 1 carrier bag of
waste to save carting the whole bin out and back I put the one bag out
at the roadside - that's clearly not good enough - it got left behind.
Severely tempted now to not bother bagging it up and just throw it loose
in the bin.

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 20:18:42 +0000, news
wrote:

The bin men round here are a contrary lot. Being away quite a bit I
generate very little general waste (perhaps 1 or 2 carrier bags worth)
and to prevent food waste going rancid usually put the bin out
containing these one or 2 carrier bags. One day I was at home and
observed the operatives lift the lid of my bin, extract the bags and
throw them in the lorry. So next time having only 1 carrier bag of
waste to save carting the whole bin out and back I put the one bag out
at the roadside - that's clearly not good enough - it got left behind.
Severely tempted now to not bother bagging it up and just throw it loose
in the bin.

Ours were a day late this week. People have started cutting hedges and
lawns so it took them a lot longer than the normal winter run.

One of our green binnies pulls a wheelie bin round and empties the
food waste bins into it and moves on.
That only works when it's almost all little bins - which is is outside
of hedge cutting time.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well, I made a big effort this weekend to get everything I could, from
the winter's accumulation, into the two green wheelie bins we have paid
for, by putting everything through the shredder, which made a huge
difference for some types of waste. I still wound up with a few bags,
so I thought I'd nip round to the tip with them. 45 minutes of queuing
later, the only movement was due to cars pulling out of the queue and
turning around. All the other cars I could see were stacked with green
bags. I pulled out and turned around as I couldn't spend the whole day
waiting just to dump a few bags.

I'm guessing quite a few people had the same problem, as there's a
distinct tang of bonfire smell in the air tonight. The whole saga is
starting to shape up as predicted. I can't really sympathise with
people who are too tight to shell out 30 quid for a green bin
(presumably there are concessions) but it's hard to see how clogging the
roads with people queuing for the tip and filling the air with smoke is
a big leap forward.

I've a feeling I'm going to become well versed in bonfire technology
this summer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 March 2014 20:34:53 UTC, GMM wrote:

Well, I made a big effort this weekend to get everything I could, from
the winter's accumulation, into the two green wheelie bins we have paid
for, by putting everything through the shredder, which made a huge
difference for some types of waste. I still wound up with a few bags,
so I thought I'd nip round to the tip with them. 45 minutes of queuing
later, the only movement was due to cars pulling out of the queue and
turning around. All the other cars I could see were stacked with green
bags. I pulled out and turned around as I couldn't spend the whole day

I'm lucky enough to live near a tip with not much in the way of queues, even on a sunny Sunday. However, when I used to live back in the over-crowded southeast, it was often quicker to park in the free car park next to the tip and carry the stuff in, past the lines of queuing cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2014 10:25, matthelliwell wrote:
[...]

Well, yesterday I could probably have walked to the tip with my waste
and got back to the car without the traffic having moved.

I went there this evening instead and only queued for a bit. The blokey
on the gate was handing out leaflets with explanations of the new green
waste policy. Very informative, if you had just come out of hibernation.

Everyone there was dumping green waste...and complaining.

Stiil, the upside of all this is that it seems to have engendered a
certain community spirit, at least from the look of the gaggle of people
around the green waste skip waiting to empty their bags.

Yet again, a distinct smell of smoke in the air this evening - I suspect
that will be the smell of the summer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:34:53 +0000, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Well, I made a big effort this weekend to get everything I could, from
the winter's accumulation, into the two green wheelie bins we have paid
for, by putting everything through the shredder, which made a huge
difference for some types of waste. I still wound up with a few bags,

If it's just green waste then compost it or use it as mulch. No
bonfire needed, no bins.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2014 10:24, mogga wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:34:53 +0000, GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Well, I made a big effort this weekend to get everything I could, from
the winter's accumulation, into the two green wheelie bins we have paid
for, by putting everything through the shredder, which made a huge
difference for some types of waste. I still wound up with a few bags,

If it's just green waste then compost it or use it as mulch. No
bonfire needed, no bins.

Well, that's OK if you like having huge piles of rotting greenery acting
as nesting sites for rodents around the garden.
Most of us are happier with bin or burn.