Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bonfires

In article ,
Danny Colyer writes:
On 03/03/2014 21:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

As has ours (South Gloucestershire).

I'm told they've had lawyers working out exactly what kinds of waste the
council is and is not legally obliged to collect. They've found that
they're not legally obliged to collect garden waste, so they've decided
no longer to include that service in the council tax that we pay.

I'd anticipated fly-tipping of garden waste (which used to be a problem
round here before we had the green bins). I hadn't thought about the
increase in bonfires preventing washing from being hung up outdoors :-(

There was a bod from the council talking about stopping collecting
garden waste on the radio. His comment was that they and some other
councils found you can only stop collecting about half of it. The
other half ends up in the other binds and fly-tipped, and it's very
borderline if you can actually save any money because it's much more
expensive to deal with when it's in the wrong place.

--
Andrew Gabriel