Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Bonfires

On Monday, March 3, 2014 8:12:45 PM UTC, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all

you can eat' approach to green waste, so now we have to rent wheelie

bins. Although you can rent more than one, and we'll get a couple,

there's a limit to how many dirty great bins you can have around the

place, and I reckon that 2 weeks of cutting our grass will probably fill

one of them. We also 'employ' a gardener (yup, it's a pretty big

garden). Although he's getting on a bit, he still seems to be able to

cut down a lot of stuff in teh few hours he's here.

The obvious solution (which most people will take) is, unfortunately, to

burn the excess, as the last thing I want is to accumulate piles of

rat-infested compost heaps that never get used.

So....What's the best arrangement for burnign garden waste? Obviously,

it needs a bit of time to dry out first, but this can be reduced by

getting a good blaze going. My first thought was/is a galvanised

incinerator bin but before I get one, I thought someone here might have

some insight.

Cheers chaps

Compost heaps are only rat infested if cooked food waste is put in.
A good gardener can't get enough compost. I get my neighbours stuff as well as my own.
I also shred hedge trimmings/branches.
You won't burn grass cuttings in any meaningful way and they rot down to almost nothing in the compost heap.
You need to take time to construct a proper compost heap.