Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM[_3_] GMM[_3_] is offline

Default Bonfires

On 03/03/2014 21:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/03/14 20:12, GMM wrote:
The spring is coming and, inconveniently, our LA has stopped its 'all
you can eat' approach to green waste,

So has ours (Rother DC in East Sussex).
I am now suspicious...

Suspicious? Hmm...I thought I was the cynical one! Birmingham here, so
not directly related, presumably.

I can only assume the business plan didn't work out. As I understood
it, the council sold the rights to collect garden waste to a commercial
set-up who would turn it into compost and sell it back to us all. The
problem presumably is that everyone chucks a lot of stuff out but nobody
buys any compost, as anyone who's interested makes their own.

So now they're charging everyone for something they used to get for free
and it's pretty clear that the skies around here will be full of bonfire
smoke once the summer starts as there seems no other reasonable way to
get rid of stuff. I'm just trying to be pragmatic and get a system
before it's s crisis. In my last place, the compost heap just grew and
I'd rather avoid repeating that.

Despite the criticisms (interesting to read) of galvanised incinerators,
there might well be a little business in cornering the market in them
just now (for anyone who's that way inclined).

Sounds like it's time to dig a hole....