Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bonfires

In article ,
"Nick" writes:
Galvanised incinerator bins are a waste of money. An open fire works well.
Better still a fire pit.

I use one - I don't have anywhere to have a bonfire which wouldn't
leave a big hole in the lawn. I have 4 paving slabs which I put
down in a square on the lawn, raised one brick up, and the incinerator
sits in the middle. The paving slabs protect the lawn from heat as
the bin glows red hot (wetting the paving slabs it a good idea too).

Huge's comment about the zinc melting off is true - I keep mine in
the shed when not in use - it's about 15 years old now and still
fine. Probably only used about ~10 times though.

Get one with max ventilation at the bottom you can find. Mine has
a slit all the way around (so the ash can fall out, but it's also
a vent) and a large hole in the middle of the base as an inverted
funnel. I keep meaning to put a ring of holes around the sides a
few inches up so it burns better at the sides when it's choked
with ash after a long run. Some come with these.

--
Andrew Gabriel