Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Bonfires

On 04/03/2014 20:13, GMM wrote:

I couldn't agree more although, having said that, I don't really mind
paying, it's more the impracticality of the new arangement that's a
pain. I can't see everyone suddenly being happy to spend their weekends
queuing for the tip with a car full of smelly garden waste (not to
mention all that CO2 spewing out of their car engines while they wait!).

I quite like the smell of newly cut grass. I wouldn't be keen to carry
it in my car though since some would always escape.

The alternatives are either fly-tipping, as you point out, making the
garden into a huge compost heap and burning, which is the 'traditional'
approach.

I don't see what the problem is with having a compost heap in a larger
garden. I have three heaps about 2m cube for a garden of about 1/3 acre.

The other possibility is to scrape the garden bare and have it tarmaced....

You will have the planners on you like a ton of bricks - it cannot be
made impermeable like that they are already struggling with people
tarmacing gardens causing fast runoff and flash flooding in storms.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown