Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where's my water stop-cock?

I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is. The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks. I'll keep looking; the kitchen hasn't been moved, and there's no basement so that's two things I can discount. Nor is there a water meter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Thanks. I'll keep looking; the kitchen hasn't been moved, and there's no
basement so that's two things I can discount. Nor is there a water
meter.

Downstairs toilet? That's where mine is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks - I'll ring Severn Trent directly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 11:40, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

wrote in message
Thanks. I'll keep looking; the kitchen hasn't been moved, and there's
no basement so that's two things I can discount. Nor is there a
water meter.

Downstairs toilet? That's where mine is.

also do you know where the water main in the street runs - it may give a
clue at least as to which wall to expect the pipe to come in under.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:18:23 PM UTC, Lobster wrote:

Are there nearby houses of the same type and age? You could take the

opportunity to say hi to your new neighbours and ask where theirs are

David

Good point! I'll do that tonight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ask a neighbour?

Brian

Email:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 27/11/2012 10:38, polygonum wrote:
On 27/11/2012 10:14,
wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is.
The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How
on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've
anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Thanks.

Probably somewhere on the ground floor (though if you have a cellar, it
could come in there).

You might be able to follow your ears when a tap is running or cistern
filling?

Ring your water company. You need (and I'm pretty sure you are entitled
to) a stopcock in the road. How else could you deal with the failure of
your own internal one? Thames Water quote 60 days but usually drop round a
lot sooner to assess the situation. Most recently they came to my son's
house the following day and reinstated the original. I thought it would be
key operated but it turned out to be a conventional tap handle, so I could
easily have whacked that trying to dig a foot of soil out. Turns very
sweetly now and has a nice vintage flap too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is.
The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How
on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've
anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Is the ground floor solid? If so, that restricts where it could be. If a
suspended floor, is there an easy way to get under it?

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is. The
previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How on
earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've anything
against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

when we moved into this house, the water stopcock was under the kitchen
floor. You had to move the cooker out of the way and then unsrew a panel in
the floor. Needless to say, its not there now (especially as our cooker is
now in a built-in unit).

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 10:14*am, wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is. *The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. *How on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Thanks.

There should be a stopcock on the boundary of the property/pavement
outside..
Everything downstream of that is yours.
This has been so for around a hundred years.
(If you have a neighbour, it may be close to theirs.)
It's practice for there be an additional one in the house or under the
floor
The outside one may have been covered with soil, paviours or similar.
What you need is a metal detector & then start digging on the place
where it crosses the boundary.

Important you do this, you need a stopcock if there is a pipe leak.
Could wreck the place.

You need to put one in if you can't find it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is.
The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How
on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've
anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Is the ground floor solid? If so, that restricts where it could be. If a
suspended floor, is there an easy way to get under it?

You can't beat having your own in the street, especially one of the new
plastic variety. About half the internal stopcocks I've encountered over
the years don't work for one reason or another

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, harry
wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:14 am, wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is.
The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How
on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've
anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Thanks.

There should be a stopcock on the boundary of the property/pavement
outside.. Everything downstream of that is yours. This has been so for
around a hundred years.

Mine was about 2ft into the road. When we had a meter fitted a new one was
fitted by the water company beside the meter. The meter is just inside our
bounbary.

(If you have a neighbour, it may be close to
theirs.) It's practice for there be an additional one in the house or
under the floor The outside one may have been covered with soil, paviours
or similar. What you need is a metal detector & then start digging on the
place where it crosses the boundary.

Plastic water pipes don't give a reading. they have plastic taps too.

Ask your water co where the external one is. They should know.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 17:38, harry wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:14 am, wrote:
[...]

Why would you do any of that without first calling the water co? It's
what they do all day, they're better at it than you, and they don't
charge. I must have missed something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

harry wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:14 am, wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock
is. The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my
calls. How on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not
that I've anything against plumbers, just against spending money
unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Thanks.

There should be a stopcock on the boundary of the property/pavement
outside..

Everything downstream of that is yours.
This has been so for around a hundred years.

What a load of ******** harry:-) Many 1950's houses share one stopcock on
the street that supplies 4 houses. The usual run for semi detatched houses
is for the pipe to run between the pair of houses and split somewhere
between them.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you tried looking between your legs? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:42:14 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
snip

You can't beat having your own in the street, especially one of the new
plastic variety. About half the internal stopcocks I've encountered over
the years don't work for one reason or another

Oh yes - the first time I needed to use the one in my present house I found it turned the water nearly, but not quite off. I can live with that for replacing a tap washer, I thought...
What I wasn't prepared for was the fact that when I tried to turn it on again the flow didn't increase - turned out that the little brass jumper inside was so worn that after I disturbed it it migrated around to the outlet of the stopcock and stayed there...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 17:57, charles wrote:
In article
, harry
wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:14 am, wrote:
[...]

They only found ours *(completely paved over, under the public footpath)
when it sprung a leak and water started coming up through the pavement.

I was rather glad as it gave me the chance to replace our own faulty,
internal stop-tap.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:42:14 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is.
The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How
on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've
anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Is the ground floor solid? If so, that restricts where it could be. If a
suspended floor, is there an easy way to get under it?

You can't beat having your own in the street, especially one of the new
plastic variety. About half the internal stopcocks I've encountered over
the years don't work for one reason or another

That's true! I've refurbished mine, those in the adjacent houses (before
starting work!) and replaced one in a girl-friends flat (had to have
everything ready as this meant cutting off the whole block). Makes things a
lot easier on subsequent jobs.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:13:42 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Why would you do any of that without first calling the water co? It's
what they do all day, they're better at it than you, and they don't
charge. I must have missed something.

Are you sure that they will respond to a random 'I can't find my stop cock
telephone call' and send a man or two out in van and not charge you?

In the days before privatisation I could see that happening but these days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 6:36*pm, "ARW" wrote:
harry wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:14 am, wrote:
[...]

However the stopcock is on the boundary. Water company does not come
on to your premises.
They may or may not know where it is. Many old plans get chucked out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 10:14*am, wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is. *The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. *How on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

It might not be a big obvious tap - ours is one of those in-line
things that you turn with a screwdriver. You've just reminded me that
I don't know where the external stop-cock is - I should go and
investigate...

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why would you do any of that without first calling the water co? It's
what they do all day, they're better at it than you, and they don't
charge. I must have missed something.

Are you sure that they will respond to a random 'I can't find my stop cock
telephone call' and send a man or two out in van and not charge you?

In the days before privatisation I could see that happening but these days?

I know of three instances in the last couple of years where Thames Water
have done just that. You are entitled to a working valve outside the
house, although this might cover more than one property. It's then up to
you to sort the internal stopcock out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 06:55, harry wrote:
On Nov 27, 6:36 pm, "ARW" wrote:
harry wrote:
On Nov 27, 10:14 am, wrote:
[...]

********. Out stop cock is about two metres from the house in the
direction of the road - with another twelve metres (I estimate) to the
actual boundary. Next level up controls a number of houses (5, 10,
possibly a few more?) and is under a road. All built in 1970s on former
farmland.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 19:54, Bill Wright wrote:
When I moved in here the stop cock just inside the front door couldn't
be turned. The water board came and eventually discovered that the one
in the street was under a little metal lid that itself was three feet
underground. The verge had been built up that much over the years.

My dad's house was discovered (after 50 years of occupation) to have two
stop cocks and two water supplies, one from one street and the other
from the adjoining street.

He should have called them out and had the water cut off, told them to
stop billing them for the water (and the associated sewerage) and then
carried on using the other supply! Or maybe a meter on one supply and
just kept using the other!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2012 23:28, SteveW wrote:
On 28/11/2012 19:54, Bill Wright wrote:
When I moved in here the stop cock just inside the front door couldn't
be turned. The water board came and eventually discovered that the one
in the street was under a little metal lid that itself was three feet
underground. The verge had been built up that much over the years.

My dad's house was discovered (after 50 years of occupation) to have two
stop cocks and two water supplies, one from one street and the other
from the adjoining street.

He should have called them out and had the water cut off, told them to
stop billing them for the water (and the associated sewerage) and then
carried on using the other supply! Or maybe a meter on one supply and
just kept using the other!

SteveW

Not having a supply doesn't stop them billing you for water! If you have
reasonable access to someone else's water, that's enough apparently
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:31:28 -0000, BruceB wrote:

I am not convinced there is any 'entitlement' to a stop cock.

The stop cock is the interface between the water company's
communication pipe and your service pipe.

The actual stop cock is the property of the water company, on the same
lines as BT's master socket.

--
Frank Erskine