Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Where's my water stop-cock?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:42:14 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I've just moved into my new house and I can't find where the water
services come into the house - specifically, where the stop-cock is.
The previous owner was a buy-to-letter and isn't taking my calls. How
on earth do I find it, without employing a plumber (not that I've
anything against plumbers, just against spending money unnecessarily!)?

It's not under the kitchen sink.

Is the ground floor solid? If so, that restricts where it could be. If a
suspended floor, is there an easy way to get under it?

You can't beat having your own in the street, especially one of the new
plastic variety. About half the internal stopcocks I've encountered over
the years don't work for one reason or another

That's true! I've refurbished mine, those in the adjacent houses (before
starting work!) and replaced one in a girl-friends flat (had to have
everything ready as this meant cutting off the whole block). Makes things a
lot easier on subsequent jobs.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away