Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default outside stop cock doesn't stop water when turned.

Hi there, I have a bit of a mystery...

we've just tried to turn off our water from the stop cock near our
property boundary. Lifted the lid, the hole was full of mud (as you
would expect) but we excavated, found the tap, turned it clockwise
until it reached the end... and absolutely NO effect on water pressure
in our house (or next door who share our mains from the street). We
even tried turning fully the other way, and still no effect.

There are no other visible signs of a stop cock outside. The around
the house back and front is old concrete and the stop cock we tried
had been carefully concreted around so we assumed that was the one.

We can turn off our water at the inside stop cock obviously, but there
might be a reason to need to turn off further back. I'm completely
puzzled by this... any suggestions anyone?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unless I am mistaken, those tap operate like a 90 degrees toggle - i.e.
assuming water in on. Choose a direction (say clockwise), turn 90 degrees
and water is off. Turn 90 degrees again, and water is on again, etc.

"Clare" wrote in message
Hi there, I have a bit of a mystery...

we've just tried to turn off our water from the stop cock near our
property boundary. Lifted the lid, the hole was full of mud (as you
would expect) but we excavated, found the tap, turned it clockwise
until it reached the end... and absolutely NO effect on water pressure
in our house (or next door who share our mains from the street). We
even tried turning fully the other way, and still no effect.

There are no other visible signs of a stop cock outside. The around
the house back and front is old concrete and the stop cock we tried
had been carefully concreted around so we assumed that was the one.

We can turn off our water at the inside stop cock obviously, but there
might be a reason to need to turn off further back. I'm completely
puzzled by this... any suggestions anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 July, 16:27, "JoeJoe" wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, those tap operate like a 90 degrees toggle - i.e.
assuming water in on. Choose a direction (say clockwise), turn 90 degrees
and water is off. Turn 90 degrees again, and water is on again, etc.

Thanks Joe, your idea sounded promising so have given it a go, but I'm
afraid still no change.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clare" wrote in message
On 18 July, 16:27, "JoeJoe" wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, those tap operate like a 90 degrees toggle - i.e.
assuming water in on. Choose a direction (say clockwise), turn 90 degrees
and water is off. Turn 90 degrees again, and water is on again, etc.

Thanks Joe, your idea sounded promising so have given it a go, but I'm
afraid still no change.

I once looked into my stop tap hole and could only see mud. I poked about
and couldn't find anything - called the water board and they came out -
cleaned the mud tested the tap and sent me a £10 (I think) rebate off my
bill because they were later than they said.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clare" wrote in message
On 18 July, 16:27, "JoeJoe" wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, those tap operate like a 90 degrees toggle - i.e.
assuming water in on. Choose a direction (say clockwise), turn 90 degrees
and water is off. Turn 90 degrees again, and water is on again, etc.

Thanks Joe, your idea sounded promising so have given it a go, but I'm
afraid still no change.

Not in my experience for water (although it would be for gas). My guess is
that the rubber washer has long since disappeared. A plumber might be able
to freeze it and then just replace the "removable" part.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Clare writes
Hi there, I have a bit of a mystery...

we've just tried to turn off our water from the stop cock near our
property boundary. Lifted the lid, the hole was full of mud (as you
would expect) but we excavated, found the tap, turned it clockwise
until it reached the end... and absolutely NO effect on water pressure
in our house (or next door who share our mains from the street). We
even tried turning fully the other way, and still no effect.

If there are any other houses around, turn off the tap and wait to see
who complains. On one site I know of a stopcock in front of the house
leads to a pipe that runs under the house, down the garden and into a
house on the other side of the block. The two buildings were once part
of the same builder's business.

--
Bernard Peek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bernard Peek wrote :
In message
, Clare
writes
Hi there, I have a bit of a mystery...

we've just tried to turn off our water from the stop cock near our
property boundary. Lifted the lid, the hole was full of mud (as you
would expect) but we excavated, found the tap, turned it clockwise
until it reached the end... and absolutely NO effect on water pressure
in our house (or next door who share our mains from the street). We
even tried turning fully the other way, and still no effect.

If there are any other houses around, turn off the tap and wait to see who
complains. On one site I know of a stopcock in front of the house leads to a
pipe that runs under the house, down the garden and into a house on the other
side of the block. The two buildings were once part of the same builder's
business.

Turn taps on inside the house, find a bit of steel rod to place on top
of stop tap and you should be able to hear the sound of your water
flowing through it. No sound probably means it is not your stop tap.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bernard Peek wrote :
In message
,
Clare writes
[...]

I wouldn't speculate. Just ring the water company and tell them you
can't turn your water off. That's your
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bernard Peek wrote :
In message
,
Clare writes
[...]

"that's your right" I meant to say. Bloody cat walked over the keyboard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks guys,

we've just tried Harry's ingenious listening with a metal rod trick
and *can* hear something when we turn our taps on (finally feel we're
getting to the bottom of this!) so looks like it is our stop cock and
will get onto the water board tomorrow to have them come fix it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clare wrote:
Thanks guys,

we've just tried Harry's ingenious listening with a metal rod trick
and *can* hear something when we turn our taps on

He can also tell which way the Apaches went & how long ago...

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk